BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Arrow 1M owners: your thoughts on the M2 after the reveal?

I wasn't instantly overwhelmed...like, man I gotta go put down some $$$...it looks like a small M4...Personally my 1M looks dated compared to the sleaker, more angular M2 but the 1M rear just says "bad ass"...

Likes: angles and lines from front & side, blue color, HP #s, double-slatted grill, M2 logo in grill, updated interior, engine tech, nav being standard, amazing flat HP and torque specs

Dislikes: fake exhaust sound aspect...i hope its better than my ride in the M4....roll down the windows in the M4 and awesome exhaust rumble gets cut in half, dislike rear trunk lid lines, rear symmetry or styling, growth or expanded size of car, its heavy,

I'm feeling good about keeping my outdated car for another generation.....
      10-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Sorry not a 1M owner, but I just need to say my peace on this. Why isn't VO available for the M2? It's still in the BMW paint lineup, hell it's in the 2 series lineup. Would've been an awesome heritage throwback and we all know how well that color suits fender flares.

Anyway I say that that as a guy in marketing, between that and the Periscope thing BMW messed up their marketing a bit there.

Appreciate 2
      10-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i have seen some really shitty comparison pics on Bimmerpost about the 1M and the M2 so decided to make a better one. IMO, this photo tells exactly why i think the 1M is so much more interesting to look at than the M2!

I'm not impressed by the looks of the M2. It looks poorly designed and seems more influenced by the X6M than the 1M. Not good!!

Performance? It's probably technically better but i don't care about 'Ring lap times or 0-60 times. I care about how a car feels to drive......the end.

That being said, i think it will be a success and i'm glad the 1M has a successor; even though it's missing a turbo and missing some madness!!!

Am really glad i own a 1M!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      10-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
jymmijamez
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
As a freshly minted 135i owner, I'm already lusting after the M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i have seen some really shitty comparison pics on Bimmerpost about the 1M and the M2 so decided to make a better one. IMO, this photo tells exactly why i think the 1M is so much more interesting to look at than the M2!

I'm not impressed by the looks of the M2. It looks poorly designed and seems more influenced by the X6M than the 1M. Not good!!

Performance? It's probably technically better but i don't care about 'Ring lap times or 0-60 times. I care about how a car feels to drive......the end.

That being said, i think it will be a success and i'm glad the 1M has a successor; even though it's missing a turbo and missing some madness!!!

Am really glad i own a 1M!
And missing M mirrors ! Why are you doing this BMW? We already saw the M mirrors on the camoflaged M2 i think lol

Anyway, just to everyones info, the 1M might not be as photogenic as the M2, but pics mean nothing when u see things in the flesh

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 12:16 AM   #6
Swimjim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

although i have a 128i, i like the 1M vs the M2. the 1M has a more organic look - sculpted, athletic and the front has a certain playful innocence; the M2 looks too much like a computer generated creation, processed.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 12:59 AM   #7
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think Im liking the progression on the looks between the older 1M and newer M2 ..

That being said I cant wait to to see it in person . Glad I still have the 1M !

Being able to option the car with DCT means the market in the arabian gulf ( Stratus650 ) will nearly be 95% DCT optioned and maybe a small number in manual .

Also Twin turbo madness FTW !
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 01:16 AM   #8
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
Agree with IEDEI, looks like the front had a big influence from the X6M.. A bit disappointed by the front and rear bumper. Side view on the other hand is sick, really like it.
Didn't get that initial WOW as when I first saw the 1M or the more recent M4. Let's see how it handles
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 01:41 AM   #9
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue
I think Im liking the progression on the looks between the older 1M and newer M2 ..

That being said I cant wait to to see it in person . Glad I still have the 1M !

Being able to option the car with DCT means the market in the arabian gulf ( Stratus650 ) will nearly be 95% DCT optioned and maybe a small number in manual .

Also Twin turbo madness FTW !
Agree on that most will be DCT here in the Arabian Gulf. But i will always opt for a manual regardless

the car is nice, but my 1M is still my preference. Maybe a CSL version in future will convince me to buy( not replace lol)

Once the 1M gets old, u just spend a couple of grands and ur good with new turbos hitting 500hp and killing any other M car to come lol

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 02:13 AM   #10
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I think the M2 is a good-looking car. When you put the 1M and M2 next to other, the M2 looks more modern and more evolved.
That being said, every time I walk out to the parking lot to my car, I walk around it and admire all the angles. Every. Single. Time.

The M2 is likely to be faster, more competent, and more civilized than the 1M.
But isn't that part of the charm of the 1M?
Appreciate 3
      10-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #11
1M
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2002Turbo, M3, M5, 1M

Nice car really, pretty sure they will sell a lot of them, but it will never be as special as the 1M.
Don't really like the wheels though.
Keeping my 1M for sure, will never sell, but might consider buying a M2 later if they produce a limited edition special one, "CSL" or equivalent.

Last edited by 1M; 10-14-2015 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

What's with all the chrome trim on the inside? If I wanted a MB, I would buy a MB.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 07:07 AM   #13
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimjim
although i have a 128i, i like the 1M vs the M2. the 1M has a more organic look - sculpted, athletic and the front has a certain playful innocence; the M2 looks too much like a computer generated creation, processed.
Agreed. The 1M looks like a real racing team developed it. The M2 looks like something out of a Need For Speed game.

Hell just even the air ducts make it look more M. I'm not a fan of the new mesh in the front bumpers and a half assed duct leading to the coolers. It might be more effective but I'll take the 1M air ducts any day.
      10-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

I think it sounds more exciting than anything BMW currently offers. I like (don't love) the looks, not crazy about the front bumper. Weight is a little more than I would like. Engine is no surprise nor is much of the equipment. Hopefully 18's are available. Those 19's have never really done it for me and I think the ZCP wheels make a huge contribution to the aggressive look of the 1M. I can't imagine that they would offer transmission choice but no wheel choice.

LOL @ all of these people crying that it doesn't have M mirrors and doesn't have M this or M that. I think this is a pretty solid package for $7k over the price of 235i. BMW has been working on this car for a long time and I think the fact that the promo video (as silly as it is) features the 1M and e30 M3 says a lot about the lineage of the M2. I would seriously consider one if I didn't already have a 1M in the garage. I can't wait to drive one.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I have been on the M2 list for almost two years while I looked for the right 1M. I recently decided and it wasn't easy. I took the 1M just 7 weeks ago but the part that made it difficult was that it's always nice to have a brand new car that you can take care of it the way you want. The warranty and service is nice while paying it off, those were the things that made it difficult for me. I overall think the M2 is very, very cool but I was taken aback slightly by the video of it beating the 1M. Not because we didn't expect it but because it just seems to feed the perception that those that don't get the 1M. If you are just playing numbers, sure it's faster. That's awesome but I never felt the 1M lacked power, if anything was that it needed to handle the power a little better and the goodness comes not from numbers. So I like the M2. I am certain it will drive better, is faster and have better throttle response which is my only real 1M gripe and it is more noticeable now that I hop in and out between the ZHP and 1M but I still think the 1M is more special to me. Its history of how it came about makes it special, the fact that there are no comfort buttons, active sound, automatic or dynamic suspension options make it cool in a weird way. It's like the F35 vs A10. No one says the A10 is a better plane than the F35. The F35 is faster, some versions can hover, land on carriers, make French Toast while doing a 6 g barrel roll but there is something so much cooler about the single-mindedness of the A10. It's mission is fly low and slow and take a beating. If my life was on the line in the front lines facing ISIS and I had to pick one of them to support me, I would take the A10 today.

So, bottom line, it is a very cool car and I like it. I would grudgingly buy one if right 1M was not available but I prefer 1M because I look at the cockpit and for me the 1M no Nav cockpit which is continuously overlooked in these comparisons is perfect and feels like what an M car cockpit used to look like. The new cockpits are too busy, too F35 and don't feel as pure as the stripper 1M cockpit so that is the tie breaker for me. Congrats to those that get the M2.. I have serious like for your car and as silly as you think it is, I just think the 1M is more special and this is coming from someone that was #1 on the list and bailed just recently.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #16
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

I rarely post in these forums since I've sold my 1M last year but of course I waited (cautiously) the reveal of the M2 and had my share of thoughts/intuition/guts/prejudice whatever one would like to name it. I also missed the 1M a lot since last year.

So, after reading and watching everything available, I now have 3 personal questions and 3 personal answers in my mind:

1) How the M2 will compare against the actual and upcoming competition from other brands: 1M literally ruled against its direct comparison in its time. The only exception was the Cayman R which was a much more focused sports car by design and much more expensive as well; and even with it, 1M was only (a tad) behind the Cayman at the track. It seems that competition is stiffer already for the M2 and I doubt it will shine against them cause BMW's main concern this time round seems to be leaving a really safe margin between the M2 and M3/M4 instead of focusing on the M2 vs its competition outside the house, which brings me to point 2:

2) How the M2 will compare against the M3/M4: Due to its limited numbers and short production cycle and also obligatory use of ready parts from the E9X M3, the 1M stood pretty well against its bigger brother and on certain aspects like agility, performance on short technical tracks, canyon type of roads, advantage of huge torque (hence the in-gear acceleration) it was even ahead despite being the entry level M at a much lower price point! So, there was not a real big gap between the 1M and the M3, neither on looks/feel nor on performance. Can we say that with relevance to M2 vs F8X? Well, I will keep it short and neat: they kept the distance safe this time round, a bit too safe even.

3) How will it fare against the closest mainstream BMW car, namely the M235i: The difference between the 1M and the 135i was pretty significant too; in fact, the list price of a 2011 135i, all of a sudden, did not make much sense vs the 1M when it was launched because of various and significant modifications and bespoke parts that 1M came equipped with. It was also wildly different looking (in real life or in photos) than a regular 1 series. The feel behind the wheel was the most shocking part as it was very different than either a 135i or a M3. The owners of M235i should pop in here and say what they perceive from the reveal of the M2 but I see a shy evolution of the 1M formula, totally integrated in a car still looking like a slightly modified M235i, more so than a brand new M car. It just doesn't stand out! Again, I blame BMW being too careful and playing a calculated game of trying not to hurt the M3/M4 sales at all.

A year and half ago when I had a test drive of the M235i in Chile while I still had the 1M it kind of gave me a hint of things to come with the M2 and unfortunately I see no (good) suprises here. This being said I have no doubt that it will be a much more modern, comfortable, civilized car with better performance numbers as well. It just doesn't look like it is designed to have an "it factor" that 1M (or E30 and E46 M3s, Z3 and Z4 M Coupes) simply had. For me, it seems more like a half hearted effort rather than a love child
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 10-14-2015 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 5
      10-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I've been staring at the pics and reading the specs for the last 2 days. So far, meh. Tried to love it but just not special enough for me to get excited.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #18
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

A lot of guys commented on the press release about how the 1M looks dated.

If that's true, then I like dated. It's just such a timeless design and points to BMW's history a little more. We still carry a pretty good weight advantage over the M2.

Regardless, the M2 looks great. I'd drive one any day.

...But I'll wait for the CSL edition.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 11:18 AM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Well, if I HAD to replace the 1er, this would be a contender. Thankfully I don't have to replace it.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^^Guys all great posts above! Thanks for starting this thread Rick.

I think what we need is Evo or Chris Harris to test a 1M vs M235i vs M2 - I really wonder how that would turn out. ?
Appreciate 4
      10-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #21
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

My 2 pennies:

It's fat by 200lbs compared to the 1M.

It looks like a baby M4 which I never cared much for.

If the power numbers are correct then it should not be to much faster than the 1M due to the extra weight. But BMW is known to post low HP/TQ numbers...just like our 1M.

It will sell well for BMW since more people can afford it compared to the base price of 65k for a M4.

The added glorified automatic will get more customers who can't row their own gears and will be slightly quicker.

It will get more people to the BMW HPDE which is a good thing.

If BMW does not offer the color VO, then....thank you BMW.

Maybe they will make a GTS version with water injection and put it on a diet....like the M4 GTS....fingers crossed....manual only.

The best thing is that we don't have to worry about the resale value of our 1M...it won't be limited as BMW will make as many as they can sell...and it's no 1M.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
III Caruso III
Private
Rep
Drives: 05 EB EVO8 WLTB: AW 1M

BMW just posted the official video for the M2 on their YouTube channel.
Appreciate 0