BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
nolandd03
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

100k mile 128i worth it today? (US)

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking about trying to find a fun and affordable car. This will be a second car and used for fun on twisty roads on the weekend or when I want to drive something a little smaller. While looking I've fallen in love with the 1 series and ideally would want to get a 135i.

That being said, I found a 2012 128i automatic coupe for sale with just under 100k miles for about $10k. It's the color and spec I want. The body and paint are in great condition considering its age and the interior doesn't have any cracks, peeling, or tears.

My only concern is there isn't much when it comes to maintenance records. The current owner bought it around 60k miles and has records of maintenance since then, but before is a big unknown and this worries me.

The current owner states the spark plugs and ignition coils are due to be replaced soon and there's a slight leak on the oil filter housing. I've always worked on my own cars and these repairs don't have me worried. AC condenser, fuel tank, and DMTL pump have been replaced recently as well. The water pump and fuel pump is an unknown, so I'm assuming these will go soonish.

Would you all be scared off by the high mileage and unknown early service history? Or for a little fun car is it worth the risk?

In general, I'm expecting this to be a fun "project" car of sorts that needs something worked on once a quarter or so. Idealy would get at least 50k miles out of it. My concern is it dies in 10k miles or suddenly needs $5k+ worth of work done before I get it home. If I move forward, would get a PPI done but still debating with myself if this is a good enough option to entertain. haha

Thanks for any insights you all may have!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #2
mkeiser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 128i 6mt m sport

at that age i would be expecting the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and oil filter housing gasket (as noted) to be leaking or needing replaced. suspension components, if original, are nearing end of life. as are motor mounts and transmission mounts. water pump and thermostat should be going soon as well as you noted.

not to scare you from the car but 10k for an automatic 128i 100k miles is way too much. especially without much of this stuff done. get a good PPI from someone who knows these cars and try to negotiate on price. but IMO look for a manual

100k miles isn't that much for the n52. but other bmw stuff and regular car stuff needs to be addressed
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #3
nolandd03
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

Thanks for the reply and really appreciate the added insight!

I'm definitely planning on negotiating some on the price. Trying to do my due diligence first to figure out what it may need and incorporate that into my total out-of-pocket for it.

Now if you can find me a good condition manual 135i for $10k...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 05:24 PM   #4
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
100k miles for N52 its in the breaking through stages. I have 220k miles my E90 still running great. Yeah I did 2 major services the tranny a water pump but other than that its prerty solid. No more than $1500 for the 2 services but this was like 5 yrs ago.

I recently bought my E88 135i for 7k 110k miles. Serviced tranny fully reconditioned for 2k. Total Invested about 10k running like new now. My daughter and I enjoy every min of it. Top down even more. 😎🤙
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 12:51 PM   #5
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

hold out for a manual trans . . . unless you're living in traffic every day
Appreciate 1
BMWCCA12256.50
      11-04-2023, 07:39 PM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My fun car is a 2009 e88 n52 with manual transmission. I ordered it. It has almost 120K miles. It's had one replacement battery (I coded it), three wheel speed sensors (I changed them), one coil (me too), brakes once but it didn't really need them, and plugs just because they were getting old. I replace the oil with oil that was on BMWs list before they brought out the turbo 4s every 5K miles. Mann filter then too. I replaced the manual transmission oil at least once, it may be due again. I should replace the brake fluid but I haven't. Cooling system is all original. It's been throwing the gas cap code for about 10 years now. I don't think making the light go out is worth the cost of the parts (it's not the cap).

I think things like plugs and brakes experience wear and need to be replaced. But I don't see the cooling system the same way. It may cost me some day but it hasn't yet. I look at coils the same way. My suspension is fine.

Recognize the cost of some parts is not in line with other cars I have owned, at least, not sure what your experience is. I had to replace both tail lights (forgot that one) and it was about $100 apiece. Bulb was just out but it's a LED and there is no practical way to replace the bulb so you have to replace the whole assembly. I had to replace the alternator (forgot that one too) and was charged $600 for the part. I could have gotten it for $300 but that is still high for an alternator. But if you are willing to accept some parts are more expensive, accept it will break down occasionally, and if you are able to do at least the simple things yourself I don't see why a 100K miles n52 isn't an option. No idea what it is worth on todays market.

I would not feel the same about a n54. I don't think turbo motors last as long and they break more even before they have to be replaced. The 135 is more lively but some of that is gearing making the engine turn more revs. Some have dual clutch transmissions and it is an early BMW dual clutch so they may not have had all the bugs out. I deliberately ordered the n52 because it is fast enough to be fun (15 second quarter mile is not slow in my book) and I like the feel of a normally aspirated engine. Shift at 2-3K and you just keep up with traffic. Shift above 5K and you better be sure know what you are doing. It is going to pick up speed very rapidly.

I drove automatic 3 series and 1 series when shopping for my 128i. That transmission should be more reliable than the dual clutch but I did not like the lag while it decided whether it was going to do what I told it to. You need to drive it to make sure it won't bug you too.

My car has not had the oil filter housing gasket replaced or the oil pan gasket or any other gasket replaced. It doesn't leak. If it starts leaking I will replace them if the leak is more than a nuisance.
GoRomeo963.50
      11-05-2023, 10:45 AM   #7
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Great experience. Thanks for sharing. Yeah I be had my N52 e90 since 2006 with 217k miles. This engine is reliable yeah may have leaks but other than that is great Its still my DD.

I.recently bought an 1 series e88 at a great price and have been like a project car. Worked on a few things on it but now we enjoy driving this beast here and there. I alaways wanted to own a 335 but could not. Now with the 1er I get lots of compliments . Nothing like having a convertible without a car payment 😊. Its so fun to drive especially here in sunny San Diego. 🥂
Appreciate 0