06-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #45
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie815 View Post
Does any one ever think about to cut out the holes and insert the air ducts on the stock hood for heat ventilation purpose? Is it an easy task?
never a good idea changing and recustoming OEM, though lets give this one a shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #46
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell View Post
Yeah, well I get the sense you've never owned carbon fiber hood or trunk. If you want oem fitment without lift then you need a metal hood. +CF panels are delicate and will crack over time due to vibration and use, so you also get better longevity.

It's just an option, and surprise - you don't have to buy it
well, true, having a tight budget here, carbon hood will probably be way down on the bottom of the list. somehow now, i would just like to make my audio standard first... i had a subwoofer, box, replaced tweeter... its a mess man.. the person who had this car before is on the wrong path... throwing all of those stuff and lets get more serious on performance..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #47
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
well, true, having a tight budget here, carbon hood will probably be way down on the bottom of the list. somehow now, i would just like to make my audio standard first... i had a subwoofer, box, replaced tweeter... its a mess man.. the person who had this car before is on the wrong path... throwing all of those stuff and lets get more serious on performance..
That had to add some weight. Performance wise, you would probably benefit more from lighter weight wheels then a lighter hood. Next lighter and better brakes. And the battery is also a great / reletivly cheap way to shed some weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #48
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
That had to add some weight. Performance wise, you would probably benefit more from lighter weight wheels then a lighter hood. Next lighter and better brakes. And the battery is also a great / reletivly cheap way to shed some weight.
yes, looking at coilover first, i had te37sl 18" with me now,, light.. brakess i still dont see the need of an actual BBK since there are no tracks in my town... the nearest track is 30 hours away...(towing)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #49
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
yes, looking at coilover first, i had te37sl 18" with me now,, light.. brakess i still dont see the need of an actual BBK since there are no tracks in my town... the nearest track is 30 hours away...(towing)
Nice wheels! Take a look at the AST Coilover set up with swift springs, very easy to customize.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #50
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
If you are not going to track, why even get coilovers? you could just get lowering springs and it would likely make very little/no difference. Generally sprinted driving on backroads will not see you the same level of benefit of coilovers on a track.

But if you are set on coilovers, do look at AST's with swift springs. Bang for your buck they are better than KW's.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #51
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Nice wheels! Take a look at the AST Coilover set up with swift springs, very easy to customize.
alrighty.. sure will do
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #52
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
If you are not going to track, why even get coilovers? you could just get lowering springs and it would likely make very little/no difference. Generally sprinted driving on backroads will not see you the same level of benefit of coilovers on a track.

But if you are set on coilovers, do look at AST's with swift springs. Bang for your buck they are better than KW's.
kind of true, well i dont know why i'm just sold with the KW V3.. hoping for brembo yet i dont see any use as well.. though the current focus is getting the audio back to standard, does the standard audio sounds that bad? without HK package of course..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #53
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
I quite like the Revozport bonnet, but a nagging question gives me pause...

Can anyone comment on the behaviour of a CF hood in a front-end collision?

Is anyone concerned that such hoods compromise impact safety mechanisms? Crumple zones, energy dissipation etc.?

I am aware of the long-standing existence of factory produced carbon panels but I wonder about such things as maybe those are designed to shatter whereas an aftermarket product might shear the hinges and become a flying guillotine.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #54
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli9988 View Post

Is anyone concerned that such hoods compromise impact safety mechanisms? Crumple zones, energy dissipation etc.?

I am aware of the long-standing existence of factory produced carbon panels but I wonder about such things as maybe those are designed to shatter whereas an aftermarket product might shear the hinges and become a flying guillotine.

Thoughts?
That would be my concern as well. I believe they are illegal here as they do not crumple/bend they shatter and leave sharp edges that can puncture pedestrians/passengers etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #55
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

flying guillotine.. loll
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #56
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli9988

Thoughts?
The hoods are very light - like 25lbs. They bend and crack on impact. I would not be worried about it. Look up google images, plenty of pics.

They do not affect any of your impact sensors as none are in the hood.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #57
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
That would be my concern as well. I believe they are illegal here as they do not crumple/bend they shatter and leave sharp edges that can puncture pedestrians/passengers etc.
I have just asked Vic Road for clarification. The rule is the hood cannot be more rigid than stock for pre 1970 cars. However, only fibre glass is stated as allowed for post 1970 cars which can be an omission rather than not allowed.

I think if you look at the V8 Supercar crashes it will give you a better idea of how a proper designed CF part should break.

As far as I know the Revozport is TUV certified, so it must be safe enough. .
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #58
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

should be fine brother, the main point is weight reduction, how significant is this hood in decreasing our 0-60 time..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #59
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
should be fine brother, the main point is weight reduction, how significant is this hood in decreasing our 0-60 time..
There are going to be way too many other factors contributing to your time that you would not be able to realistically measure it based on a hood swap.

Personally, you should just get the hood if you like how it looks and enjoy knowing that you are shaving the weight as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #60
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
There are going to be way too many other factors contributing to your time that you would not be able to realistically measure it based on a hood swap.

Personally, you should just get the hood if you like how it looks and enjoy knowing that you are shaving the weight as well.
yeap, but i really dont know how aero catches works, and really prefer not having them..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #61
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yeap, but i really dont know how aero catches works, and really prefer not having them..
If you dont like aero catches dont install them. My revozport hood fit very well and had very minimal lift without them pinned in. I went 130mph w/o the catches and the hood was fine.

The aero catches are very simple. They essential give you two more mounting points to secure the hood to your car. Our cars stock have 1 mounting point and a second safety latch. The aero catches add two more points.

To open your hood with aero catches, you just unlatch them first, then proceed to open the hood as normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #62
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren 600LT

^ based on your tests, do you think the double-sided hood will be as stable at 130mph+ without the aerocatches?

I've also been really contemplating on getting the 1M Raze Lightweight Bonnet, but the only thing stopping me is the uncertain need to have to install the aerocatches to prevent the hood from lifting and tighter fitment. I just think the aerocatches give the hood a less OEM look :/
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #63
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Here are some pics that will sell you on this hood. Single Sided is a 23lb weight savings and Double Sided is 28lbs. My revozport hood fit very well. I painted mine but Einser M left his raw cf. I had my Aero Catches installed at Revozport which is a great option for them to offer. Measuring and installing them is a pain and having the hood come that way made it a DIY install.

please stop posting pics of your hood. its going to make me spend money that i am really not trying to spend right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #64
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
please stop posting pics of your hood. its going to make me spend money that i am really not trying to spend right now.
please spend.. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #65
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

I spoke with Revozport over the phone and according to them, the non-aero catch version will be fine for everyday driving. Many of their customers have installed the hood (w/out aerocatches) with no issues. On a track you won't notice any lift in a straight line, but if you are cornering at high speeds there will be slight lift. The hood will not warp or reshape due to lift, but Revozport recommends getting the aero catches if you track your car regularly. Otherwise, you will be fine without them.

This was the only thing stopping me from purchasing the hood, and after speaking w/ Revozport I am confident they'll stand behind their product. If you are interested in a Group Buy please send me a PM. I need 4 people in order to get a discount. (fyi, Revozport is TUV certified)

I have included a few pics I found without aero catches...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #66
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren 600LT

This is the one modification I've always been on the fence about...

It's difficult to give up the OEM look of the 1M, but I feel like this really is how the hood should have came out from the BMW Factory.

Any Revozport Lightweight Bonnet owners have any feedback on their experience on owning this piece/mod?
Appreciate 0