roundel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black 5.0 6M

Garage List
2011 5.0  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTerp View Post
Awesome man, how do you like it? I miss my old one terribly, even as I love my 1er. It's just an itch that can't be scratched.
Yeah, it's amazing the amount of thrust the 5.0 provides in what is a larger car. Although only 300lbs heaver than the 135i. The short-throw stick in this 5.0 is downright incredible. I love the gearbox in the BMW but this 5.0 allows even faster shifts! WoW!!!

Some comparisons:
  • 5.0 has less room in the back than the 1 - that's surprising.
  • The stitched leather seats in the 5.0 are better.
  • SYNC blows away the system in the BMW.
  • The 5.0 is smoother 90% of the time but occassionally you'll get the live axle wham on a certain type of bump.
  • Nimbleness goes to the 1.
  • Fun factor I can't believe it because the 1 is a blast but this 5.0 makes you feel like king sh%t. The power, handling, wow.
  • Both cars are quiet inside.

I would probably sell my 135i if resale wasn't so atrocious. Might as well keep it since it's already depreciated 40% and have snows for it (need a winter car). The bulk of depreciation has hit with the HPFP news and 2 years of ownership. Man, whoduthunk these BMW's would be so bad in that dept!!!!!?!?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #68
roundel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black 5.0 6M

Garage List
2011 5.0  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
All specs & numbers...^ unfortunately there is no tangible way to illustrate refinement.

But (when available), a side-by-side drive will demonstrate what the ford is missing. I'm happy you enjoy your pony car, but some people are looking for more.
For the price of the imaginary 1 M car ($55k) you could get a 5.0 mustang new $30k and a used 135i for $25k.

Side by side, 2-5-10 car comparisons in all the rags the 5.0 has yet to not finish first. Kinda like the M3 in the premium class.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #69
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
In all honestly, I would just get a C6 vette if I was ready to spend around 50k on a sports car.
      07-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #70
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel View Post
For the price of the imaginary 1 M car ($55k) you could get a 5.0 mustang new $30k and a used 135i for $25k.

Side by side, 2-5-10 car comparisons in all the rags the 5.0 has yet to not finish first. Kinda like the M3 in the premium class.
We all get that you love your Mustang. But it's a different car than a 1.

Pony cars are great in straight lines - but BMWs are more complete cars. Yes there is a price premium that most people don't want to pay - but for those of us that do, the Mustang isn't a better option.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #71
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
We all get that you love your Mustang. But it's a different car than a 1.

Pony cars are great in straight lines - but BMWs are more complete cars. Yes there is a price premium that most people don't want to pay - but for those of us that do, the Mustang isn't a better option.
There we go with the bland stereotype again...Don't underestimate this 5.0 in the corners either. The new chassis can do wonders even with the SRA in back. Of course there is a level of refinement the car does not have, but it never claimed to have that.
      07-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #72
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Quote:
There we go with the bland stereotype again...Don't underestimate this 5.0 in the corners either. The new chassis can do wonders even with the SRA in back. Of course there is a level of refinement the car does not have, but it never claimed to have that.
It isn't a stereotype, its a combination of the axle and the specific set-up and weight distribution that the Mustang has. Trade-offs required to keep the car at a competitive price and sufficient profit for the shareholders.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #73
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:

You are correct^, for the price you can get both of those cars, but neither of them will drive like an M. Understand?
What's driving like an ///M? Or for that price I'd drive a used E46 M3 and 135I or new Mustang. This thread really got me thinking about my E90 M3 purchase. I'm the type of guy that would rather drive a Genesis 2.0T,GTI,MSP over a 323-328-A4-C350...a lot of people talk about refinement who cares. I just laugh when bmw salesman are trying to sell me a car based on the number of airbags, service, run flats etc.....I just want to enjoy the ride...what's refined about a bmw anyways? They have simple interiors....2 gauges that's it. My 1er was a stripper and my DD I've never used bluetooth, remote garage opener etc.....I don't need those things to enjoy the ride. Too much money for a souped up 135. I'd rather rebuy a used 135 and mod it instead of buying this car make ridiculous payments. Driving like an ///M? Upgraded N54/N55 with better suspension and a wide body.....I would have never sold my 1er to get into an M1...taking the hit wasn't worth it for a car that is not that different. Even if I had bought the performance seats from europe, etc etc etc I could have had a car close to the m1 for way cheaper. The difference between the 335 and M3 is way bigger compared to the 1M vs 135.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 07-28-2010 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #74
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
What's driving like an ///M? Or for that price I'd drive a used E46 M3 and 135I or new Mustang. This thread really got me thinking about my E90 M3 purchase. I'm the type of guy that would rather drive a Genesis 2.0T,GTI,MSP over a 323-328-A4-C350...a lot of people talk about refinement who cares. I just laugh when bmw salesman are trying to sell me a car based on the number of airbags, service, run flats etc.....I just want to enjoy the ride...what's refined about a bmw anyways? They have simple interiors....2 gauges that's it. My 1er was a stripper and my DD I've never used bluetooth, remote garage opener etc.....I don't need those things to enjoy the ride. Too much money for a souped up 135. I'd rather rebuy a used 135 and mod it instead of buying this car make ridiculous payments. Driving like an ///M? Upgraded N54/N55 with better suspension and a wide body.....I would have never sold my 1er to get into an M1...taking the hit wasn't worth it for a car that is not that different. Even if I had bought the performance seats from europe, etc etc etc I could have had a car close to the m1 for way cheaper. The difference between the 335 and M3 is way bigger compared to the 1M vs 135.
Horses for courses.

As unfair as it is to talk down to someone for wanting a Mustang, it would be equally unfair to fault someone for valuing the refinement of a BMW, however difficult it is to quantify.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #75
schang
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

To each his own
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #76
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It isn't a stereotype, its a combination of the axle and the specific set-up and weight distribution that the Mustang has. Trade-offs required to keep the car at a competitive price and sufficient profit for the shareholders.
It is a stereotype when you look at the numbers this new car has posted, not just in a straight line, and see how they don't fit the mold. From everything I've seen its right there with a new M3 around road courses like VIR. That in and of itself makes it a car that 99.999% of us couldn't drive to its full potential anyway.
      07-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #77
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

why do people still trash on the live axle. The mustang eats camaros and bmws all day long despite the other two being IRS cars. Get you mind out of 1969 and join us in the 21st century

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #78
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's somewhat obvious, you don't understand the level of refinement many are referring to. Perhaps you don't think like an engineer, so you fail to notice, or feel certain things, others don't. I don't!

Airbags, bluetooth are features, not mechanical refinement..
For me leather is leather.....I dont care leatherette, boston, novillo, vinyl they're all the same to me. Noise insulation...who cares....The dash could be rough I don't care.

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #79
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Your post^ illustrates my point.

Refinement, is the level of precision & engineering gone into making the car. Of coarse, the quality & level of luxury are important too. But that is not refinement.
Yes I understand that too. Btw....really the comparo should be GT500 vs M1......They will sell for about the same price...and the GT500 will eat an M1 alive.....it's a matter of taste you know in 2004 stang you had to pull a lever to put on the headlights. I doesn't really bother me...I'd trade a bit of precision and take a stupid plastic antenna in the back to drive one of the best bang for the buck car out there.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #80
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

The spec sheet looks good on paper for the Mustang. But paper and real world driving is apple and oranges. I have yet to see any video of a new stang going around the Nurburgring Nordschleife. This track will tell you if the chassis can hang with BMW since there is no video Ford will stick to straight line performance and paper stats. Me personally out of my years of driving i have yet to see a mustang that can hang with a BMW ///M model at a race track especially the Nordschleife.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #81
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Test drive 'em both when you get back, then see which one you like.

Really can't comment on a car that hasn't been released yet.

And thanks for your service.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #82
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Watch the above video at 2:54 you will get a good laugh

Saleen Mustang gets smoked by a VW bus/Van on the Hockenheimring. You gotta be kidding me!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #83
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, but the GT500 doesn't have more refinement than the Mustang GT, just more HP, more tires, more handleing... etc.

Understand.. I am glad you have your heart set on a Mustang, they are a good car. But (again) I am looking for a higher level of engineering, for obviously stated reasons.

The GT500 and the //M turbo-coupe will make a great comparo.. can't wait.
I'm not talking about refinement...I'm thinking price wise....It's like comparing a 1er to a WRX....while it should be the WRX STI comparo
We have different criterias...some people spend 60K on a 5er, some 1er, some on a Lotus with no carpet, some on a mustang....I generally look for the car that will give me the most pleasure and better performance regardless of the look. It can look like shiznit if it performs well, drive well sounds well I'm a buyer.

Quote:

Last edited by mtla4; 07-29-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #84
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Yes I understand that too. Btw....really the comparo should be GT500 vs M1......They will sell for about the same price...and the GT500 will eat an M1 alive.....it's a matter of taste you know in 2004 stang you had to pull a lever to put on the headlights. I doesn't really bother me...I'd trade a bit of precision and take a stupid plastic antenna in the back to drive one of the best bang for the buck car out there.
Bang for the buck depends upon what bang you're looking for. That's what everyone is getting at. It's not that anyone is right or wrong, it's that they're looking for different things. The "bang" I'm looking for might be refinement first, and performance a close second. It's hard for someone who doesn't value refinement to relate to that. Likewise, a lot of people will go out and buy a 535i, which isn't exactly a dog, but the N54/N55 in a car that size isn't nearly as much fun as it is in a 1-series. Those people value refinement far more than they do performance. There's no black and white answer.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #85
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep

So, there's some clown writing spam on everyone's visitor messages who posted anything positive regarding the Mustang or an American car. Get help man.
      07-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #86
LaCroix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 MazdaSpeed3

Quote:
So, there's some clown writing spam on everyone's visitor messages who posted anything positive regarding the Mustang or an American car. Get help man.
I didn't get one of these
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #87
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
You got this too?

Can you please remove yourself from the gene pool? Preferably in the most painful and agonizing way possible? Retard

Die painfully okay? Prefearbly by getting crushed to death in a
garbage compactor, by getting your face cut to ribbons with a
pocketknife, your head cracked open with a baseball bat, your stomach
sliced open and your entrails spilled out, and your eyeballs ripped
out of their sockets.

I really hope that you get curb-stomped. It'd be hilarious to see you
begging for help, and then someone stomps on the back of your head,
leaving you to die in horrible, agonizing pain.

STFU, before you get your face bashed in and cut
to ribbons, and your throat slit.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #88
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
You got this too?

Can you please remove yourself from the gene pool? Preferably in the most painful and agonizing way possible? Retard

Die painfully okay? Prefearbly by getting crushed to death in a
garbage compactor, by getting your face cut to ribbons with a
pocketknife, your head cracked open with a baseball bat, your stomach
sliced open and your entrails spilled out, and your eyeballs ripped
out of their sockets.

I really hope that you get curb-stomped. It'd be hilarious to see you
begging for help, and then someone stomps on the back of your head,
leaving you to die in horrible, agonizing pain.

STFU, before you get your face bashed in and cut
to ribbons, and your throat slit.
Yep, I'm one of the lucky ones