BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Gambeez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport

DISCLAIMER: Regarding 1M Replica Bumper Fitment and Differing Options

Hello, I am writing this since I feel like this is something that should be pinned on this forum.

I recently purchased a 1M replica bumper to replace my damaged stock M-Sport bumper. I did many months of sitting on this and research, however, one small detail escaped me in my purchase. Additionally, I failed to check fitment prior to painting due to lack of time and the weather in the midwest. Much of this could have been avoided had I not skipped that step. So I will save others the heartache.

To the meat and potatoes. When shopping for a 1M replica buyers should be aware that there are two different options available and those mean fitment will change.

There are the versions that come with fogs, and those that come with air ducts instead of fogs. From my research, it appears the one with fogs sits lower, and looks truer to an OEM 1M bumper -- compared to the one that comes with ducts.

The one with ducts sits higher (more ground clearance) and has a more similar shape to the OEM 128i/135i bumpers.

So, if you want a lower sitting bumper, less ground clearance. I recommend the one with fogs and simply swapping the fogs for ducts or keeping the fogs. If you want more ground clearance, get the one with ducts.

Pics attached of the differences highlighted.

Mine, the bumper that came with ducts. Higher ground clearance, more similar to 128i/135i bumper style. Fitment 97% true to OEM. Lines up well with fender liners and splash shield.

One that comes with fogs, similar to the one bought from Mod Bargains. Truer to OEM 1M and sits lower. Cosmetically I find it more appealing. But I hear this causes fitment issues with the engine splash shield and fender liners.

When shopping, pay attention to the middle that I have pointed out. If it has the dip in the middle it appears those will sit lower. Ones that go straight across will sit higher.

Hopefully this will save someone future hassles. I know this would have helped me in my journey. If someone does want one that is already painted and wants a higher ground clearance for peace of mind, feel free to PM me. I'd like to get rid of mine for one that sits lower out of preference.

*please sticky* I feel this is important information for people to have.

Last edited by Gambeez; 01-21-2020 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
Petro135452.50
      01-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
DeadlyDrop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Thank you for pointing this out! Was really helpful deciding which one to go with!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

This is my Aeuroplug 1M Replica Bumper for oem 135i fenders with OEM 1M Air Ducts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
This is my Aeuroplug 1M Replica Bumper for oem 135i fenders with OEM 1M Air Ducts.
Super hard to actually see any of the detail of the front bumper in that picture, just saying.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok. Here are two other pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
Gambeez
Private
Rep

Quote:
Looks nice! Is your car lowered at all?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambeez View Post
Quote:
Looks nice! Is your car lowered at all?
No sir. The wheels, bumper and splitter definitely make it look lowered though.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #8
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Thanks for the info, I'll be going that way sooner or later. What color is your car Gambeez?
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
Dmak
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

Thx. This is very good info Gambeez is it possible for u to measure the 3 grill area/front opening of the bumper? And possibly also measure the opening of the other "lower" clearance bumper once you get it?
Reason being is, some ppl might want bigger openings for oil coolers, intercooler and brake ducts
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #10
Gambeez
Private
Rep

Quote:
No sir. The wheels, bumper and splitter definitely make it look lowered though.
Yeah, see that's what I love about that version of the bumper. It adds that aggression to a car that lowering it gives it without actually having to go through all the trouble of lowering the car.

What size wheels are you running? I'm currently running 19 rear and 18 front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll be going that way sooner or later. What color is your car Gambeez?
Mineral Metallic Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmak View Post
Thx. This is very good info Gambeez is it possible for u to measure the 3 grill area/front opening of the bumper? And possibly also measure the opening of the other "lower" clearance bumper once you get it?
Reason being is, some ppl might want bigger openings for oil coolers, intercooler and brake ducts
If the weather clears up this week I'll get you the numbers. I can tell you right now from seeing mine in person and the pictures of the other version -- that the ducts on the version with fogs has bigger openings for the ducts at the least. Not sure about the middle lower grille. But the ducts do appear to be much larger than the ones that I have.
Appreciate 0