07-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #23
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
How many track days have you done on these so far?

From my reading on the Porsche forums I get the sense that these things are finicky in terms of managing pressures -- the Pirelli website suggests 2 bar HOT which is 29 psi. That means I'd be starting cold pressures low enough to make me concerned about damaging the tire, or coming in to tweak pressures after a few warmup laps, which seems like a pain for a recreational/enthusiast driver.

How much attention did you pay to the pressures?

Other question regards camber -- what are you doing for camber? The Porsche guys are reporting at least -2.5 ...

Thanks in advance.
Only two days, quite far apart. I am still on stock suspension. I ran 27 psi, and seems to be fine for a six-seven flying lap. Inner tyre hottest was around 42 degree C and outer around 37 degree. May be I am just not pushing hard enough .
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #24
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Sparoz- would be curious to hear your feedback on the Trofeo Rs one year later -- specifically interested in durability, grip, wet & cold performance ... Strongly considering picking up a set for the track.
Okay, I have looked through my logs on my second track day on the Trofeo R - remember I have been using them as a daily driver 5000+ km involving a lot of highway driving (or my Dad has ) before that day. One tyre - FR has never been tracked as I had a puncture on the previous track day.

I have looked through the logs although I am 1.3 seconds off the pace, 1.1 second is lost in turn 2 in QR where I had my incident on the previous track day! So, I am actually quite close to my PB. Other sections some I had better times and some I haven't, so that I put down to my poor technique.

So, in summary - if you are able to manage the heat in these tyres it is going to last a long time. My thread depth has hardly changed at all with close to 10000km of street driving now and it supposed to only have a thread rating of 60.

So in summary I think it is a very good dual street/track tyre - the limitation is it rubs and it picks up rocks everywhere for daily use.

On track it was a bit of a pain, but as most of my days run with 6-7 flying laps so pressure doesn't make a big deal. However, I would suggest a higher starting temp than I did which was 27 and I was bleeding more and more air out with worse times.

The best lap seems to come towards the end of the session so that makes me think I might have the temp too low. So, I would probably aim to run at 33-34psi hot - as the 911 runs around 31psi optimal and our car we should be able to run it a bit higher. Temp did measure quite well though so probably it do take a bit of time for the heat built up to its optimal.

Best time of my second track day comes on my 11th flying lap on the 1st session.

If you are going to use it as just a track tyre I think there are probably better and cheaper options, but may be still the best tyre if you are going to drive to the track. If you are using it as a daily/track tyre, I think it is quite brilliant provided you are not going to be silly in the wet.

I have just had a first go on the Yokohama AD08R and I am actually much happier with this tyre on the road - doesn't pickup crap and it DOESN'T rub. However, I think it feels slower than the Pirellis but hard to compare when a) I am not that experience, b) I was on a different track.
Appreciate 0