BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
naregf
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i M Sport

Window issues after recall re blower-regulator wiring harness.

Took my 128i in to BMW for a recall re blower-regulator wiring harness. They got it all fixed thankfully. The thing works like a charm.

However, got car back and windows were behaving strangely the moment I picked it up.

1. Auto close function no longer works.

2. Slightly worse is that the automatic up/down that occurs as you shut the door also does not work – the window stays outside of the door frame unless you delicately force it under the frame every time.

Perhaps noteworthy is that my trip meter was also reset when I got the car back and that this issue is happening with both windows.

Anyone else with similar issues? Any thoughts on what may have occurred / how to fix it? My best guess so far is that the windows need to be reinitialized, and this may have occurred due to a power loss. Any other theories?

BMW dealership is denying all responsibility in the matter: "the windows are not related to blower-regulator wiring harness". BMW Canada and BMW dealership both say the repair will be covered if it is related to work that was done during the recall. BMW dealership still wants to charge full rate for a diagnostic
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
1mang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I do not have similar issues after the recall was done.

My guess is the technician disconnected some electrical plugs which cause your window regulator to be not set. I know some owners had to change out window actuators or door actuators which need to go through some sort of sequence to be normal again. Try looking into that.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
naregf
Rep

Thanks for the heads up.

I tried this and a bunch of other methods people recommended throughout forums.

Not sure what's causing this, but I'm still at a point where auto-down always works, auto-up never works, and the drop when you open/close the door never works.

If the door is open and I hold the switch to roll the window up, it hits the upper limit, makes a weird noise (like a rattle, I feel the door shake a bit, and like glass hit metal) and if I hold it longer it rolls back down by itself while I'm holding the switch up. At a loss fo what is causing all this.

Note that when using the key to open / close windows, the sunroof works, but the windows won't open or close.

Edit: tried various other procedures again, some on different forums, and had other people try it too. I also timed some of them to make sure I was hitting the timings. NOTHING changes.

Edit 2: tried disconnecting and reconnecting battery – no improvement.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Have them check the FRM.

They extended the warranty on them....

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Try reprogramming the window limits...

Let's reset the windows limits
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224511
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
naregf
Rep

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Have them check the FRM.

They extended the warranty on them....
Might be an avenue worth exploring, will try to bring it up – BMW wants to charge for any diagnostic work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Try reprogramming the window limits...

Let's reset the windows limits
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224511
Thanks for that – I tried this method and many others.

Can't seem to get to step 4 – "Marvel at the downward motion of the window."

I can relate to Homer.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Do your auto headlights and turn signals work properly? ie. Headlights not on in the off position, turn signals cancel when you complete a turn.

The battery is supposed to be disconnected during the repair, hence many of your symptoms. But so is a functional check of the vehicle. Most of the experienced techs will know the tell tale signs of the FRM falling over
Appreciate 0