BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Spark Plug COVERED in oil

Hey all,

So as some pre-tune preventative maintenance I decided to do my plugs and coils. I just pulled out cylinder #4 and, well, see for yourselves....

The plug, and socket are drenched in oil. I knew this was going to be the case, because as soon as the socket went down it sounded wet. There was also oil on plug #2, but just the threads. I believe the tip of #4 is dirty because there was just that much oil puddled up.

The car has had the valve cover gasket replaced under warranty by BMW around 25k miles ago, and there has been no misfiring, so finding this is a surprise. Could it just be a bad valve cover gasket install by BMW, or something else?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Possibly be VVT Motor Gasket although that should have been changed to with the VCG as it sits right above #4.

But if that's the only place you are seeing oil....most likely that would be the culprit.
      11-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Possibly be VVT Motor Gasket although that should have been changed to with the VCG as it sits right above #4.

But if that's the only place you are seeing oil....most likely that would be the culprit.
Interesting, maybe that could be it, but I did have a decent amount of oil on the threads of plug #2 as well, not nearly as much as #4, but still present.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
Interesting, maybe that could be it, but I did have a decent amount of oil on the threads of plug #2 as well, not nearly as much as #4, but still present.
#2 could possibly be some left over from before the VCG. I know when I did my VCG, I cleaned up all the oil in the plug valleys. So you can always check later since you replaced the plugs and that will tell you if you have something still leaking. Mine was leaking as I had a ton of oil in #4, but never enough to throw a code or cause issues.

But with #4...usually it's a VVT Gasket or maybe someone putting oil in the engine if you don't do your own oil changes missed the hole a little.

But there is a guy on the E90 forum who has had his VVT gasket leak on him even after replacing it 3 times in about a 6 month time frame. I think he eventually stopped it by using Ultra-Black RTV on both the gasket side and the motor side.

It's an easy replacement, just don't force the VVT motor out. There are DIY's everywhere on replacing the gasket.
      11-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
#2 could possibly be some left over from before the VCG. I know when I did my VCG, I cleaned up all the oil in the plug valleys. So you can always check later since you replaced the plugs and that will tell you if you have something still leaking. Mine was leaking as I had a ton of oil in #4, but never enough to throw a code or cause issues.

But with #4...usually it's a VVT Gasket or maybe someone putting oil in the engine if you don't do your own oil changes missed the hole a little.

But there is a guy on the E90 forum who has had his VVT gasket leak on him even after replacing it 3 times in about a 6 month time frame. I think he eventually stopped it by using Ultra-Black RTV on both the gasket side and the motor side.

It's an easy replacement, just don't force the VVT motor out. There are DIY's everywhere on replacing the gasket.
Awesome thanks for the info. This hasn't caused any issues for me either, but I'll check the plugs again in a month or so, and if there is more oil then I will definitely look into fixing it.

Also the leftover oil theory would explain why the oil on #2 was black, but #4 was more brown/yellow since the oil was changed a few weeks back.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00