BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
funseries
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Battery life and reset question

So after replacing my original battery a little over a year ago, my new battery has been flashing the lift icon low power warning with the clock reset on start up. Thing is, I know it's because I only drove it on very short distances for my commute for a couple months.

According to what I've read about our battery system is that the computer will slowly readjust your max capacity to limit overcharging. And because I kept a low power for this long of a period, my max has probably lowered significantly. I'm assuming this is the case because it's starting to happen more frequently regardless of having driven it on a long trip a day or 2 before.

My question is, can I simply reregister or reset the battery back to regular capacity, now that I'm driving back to longer distances?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Was your new battery registered ? And is the car coded for the correct type and Ah of the battery ?
      10-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
This ^^. You have to register the battery.

Get a battery tender & plug it in every now & then to keep it charged. There are all types & brands. I have a pretty inexpensive one by Black & Decker. It takes a while to charge but overnight does a decent job.

I had a Deltran Battery Tender Plus for years & it was great. Not the least expensive out there but it worked great. If the B&D stops working I'd get another Deltran.
      10-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Whatever you do don't let the battery go dead it's a total nightmare trust me I know!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
funseries
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Was your new battery registered ? And is the car coded for the correct type and Ah of the battery ?
Yes it was registered properly. Everything was fine until I started driving these very short distances, I guess. It's only my theory that by doing that for several months it neutered my battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
funseries
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post

Get a battery tender & plug it in every now & then to keep it charged. There are all types & brands. I have a pretty inexpensive one by Black & Decker. It takes a while to charge but overnight does a decent job.

I had a Deltran Battery Tender Plus for years & it was great. Not the least expensive out there but it worked great. If the B&D stops working I'd get another Deltran.
Unfortunately I live in a condo and they don't have any easy way to keep a tender plugged in. At this point I'm just wondering if my battery is legit fcked. It's only a little over a year old. I don't see why it would die that fast even if I made short drives since then.

Maybe I'll give this reregistration a shot. Always wanted to have one of those OBD tools anyways.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by funseries View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post

Unfortunately I live in a condo and they don't have any easy way to keep a tender plugged in. At this point I'm just wondering if my battery is legit fcked. It's only a little over a year old. I don't see why it would die that fast even if I made short drives since then.

Maybe I'll give this reregistration a shot. Always wanted to have one of those OBD tools anyways.
I have stored my car for the winter in our condo, I used a solar powered maintainer that plugs into the OBD2 port. It is actually what we use at the dealer. Works well.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Short distance like 10 min or ??
      10-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Yes it was registered properly. Everything was fine until I started driving these very short distances, I guess. It's only my theory that by doing that for several months it neutered my battery.
Don't take this as me being a jerk, but do you, or the person that installed your battery, know the difference battery registration and battery coding? Asking because if your car is coded for a very different battery, that is a problem. Some people think coding is more important than registration. I don't know, but, both should be done.

If the coding and registration are good, your theory may be correct. I understand from your answer to Gangplank a battery tender isn't an option.

I would not register a one year old battery that is showing signs of going dead. It might get overcharged and that could be bad. I'd try to find some way to have it properly charged with a recondition mode charger. If that doesn't work best to bite the bullet and get a new one and have it registered and coded correctly.

Another possibility - are you sure you don't have any parasitic drain?
      10-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

That battery should have a warranty on it.....use it.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

One of the reasons I am still using my 10 year old battery is failures of relatively new batteries in other cars. I think it is very possible to get a battery that doesn't last long for no discernable reason. Before concluding that is the issue, I think I would:

1) Get one of those little battery packs that will jump start a car. Could be handy for you right now and it also will facilitate step two.
2) Remove the battery, take it inside and charge it. If it is the short trips this will cause the car to work correctly for a short period of time.
3) Get a multi-tester and check for a parasitic draw on the battery. Not all multi-testers will measure amps so you have to see what they do before buying. I have let my car sit for a week before without driving it and it always starts. I do not use a tender.

If you do not have a parasitic draw and the battery is just not staying charged, the options are a tender or taking the battery back.
Rmtt8206.00
      12-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:

Assuming your battery is coded + registered correctly it's the lack of use/ short trips that are killing you. These cars are battery killers if not used regularly as the constant electronic monitoring cannot be shut off. Your condo situation puts you in a tough spot. If you can work out a power source a BMW Smart Charger or quality Smart Charger from Deltran or CTEK will end your problems. Plug in using the under hood connections anytime the car sits more than a couple of days, avoid drives of less than 30 min. Those short trips are also filling your oil and exhaust system with water from condensation that's not getting burned off. It would really appreciate a hard weekly drive of an hour or more.
Appreciate 0