BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

128 vs. 135

Hey folks,

I've been looking at a variety of new machines and I've decided that my next ride has to be the new 1er. I sold my '02 VW GTi this morning, so this week it's order time at the local dealership.

The biggest issue I'm having is deciding between the 128 and 135. Yeah, I've driven both, and the 135 is like a friggin' rocketship. Mega fun, but it's more expensive and results in higher insurance costs. Fuel economy is also marginally lower. These are all things I may be willing to deal with, but it largely depends on the exact spec differences between the 128 and 135.

Unfortunately, BMW's website isn't so great at listing the technical differences between the cars. (i.e., brake size/type), and I'm guessing there's a few. Also, I can't seem to confirm that the suspension from the Sport package on the 128 is the same as what's standard on the 135.

Any place I can find these details? Also, for those that struggled with the choice, what ultimately pushed you to the car you ordered?

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

G5 - I'm sure others will chime in, as we have mostly 135er's here. I chose the 128 for several reasons. First I am an owner, not a leaser, and I expect to keep the car 8-10 years as a daily driver. After driving both vehicles several times, my opinion is that the 128 is a powerful, fun, great handling (with sport pkg.) car. The 135 adds the sweet always-there twin turbo motor which is amazing. However, in my daily driving, I think I will use a good percentage of the available performance of the 128, revving the powerful world class naturally aspirated inline six as I enjoy the handling. I would not use as much of the 135's capabilities. I'm not ready to make the tradeoff of $5k more initially, higher insurance, less mileage, and the uncertainty of the long term costs of the turbo motor down the road. I optioned my 128 out to $33-34k, so it is a great deal for what I want out of a car.

Those who make the jump to the 135 will have an instant cult car that will bring smiles to their faces - more power to them! I encourage you to drive both and don't feel that the 128 is somehow unworthy just because the 135 is Uber-worthy!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Perfect128 - well said. I've thought the same of the 128i and if I didn't have intentions of taking the car into the mountains I may have gone with a 128i. I have yet to drive a 128i - hope to sometime this month.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

I appreciate the response.

I've been leaning toward the 128 for the same reasons you mention - when driving, it felt balanced and refined. It seems like the power is enough to have fun and be playful, but not so much that you'd risk losing your license if you let your foot get a little lazy on the highway.

My GTi used the 1.8T motor, and I can vouch that a turbo motor can run into higher costs through time; the fuel economy hit isn't huge, but it does impact the wallet over the life of the car.

Like you, I also plan on buying. I don't think leasing makes all that much sense, as I don't intend on renting a car for the rest of my life. I've worked out the numbers, and leasing is definitely more appealing now than in years past, but I'd rather have the title in hand after I give my money over.

I specced my 128i to $35,725. The dealer is willing to work out something to sweeten the deal, so it seems like a winner. If I do the 128i, I can get every option I want. If I get the 135, I could do that, but I'd be more comfortable forgoing a few things. I really don't think it makes sense to take a 1er over $40k.

Any other thoughts?

Edit: Is it possible to order a black headliner for the 1?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Good reasons to get the 128i. With a manual is should be plenty quick. About 6.1 seconds for the manual and 6.7 seconds with the auto to 60MPH. So the 128i sport manual would be quite quick and handle great. I actually have been checking it out, even though I have wood over the 135i. Which I probably will get because I "HAVE THE NEED FOR SPEED" I suggest a dark color and the sport pkg with a manual if you get the 128i. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Perfect128....
I really appreciate you sharing your analysis....like many, the 135i is an intoxicating choice but like you, my Miata replacement will be a daily driver for many years (9 and counting for the Miata w/ 100k+ miles).

The BMW non-turbo six is velvet smooth with an abundance of torque compared to what I'm used to. I think my hardest decision when the time comes will likely be exterior color....I nearly like 'em all and this website helps..but yet, confuses me every time I see a new "delivery" photo! :biggrin:

Rick
Appreciate 0