BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

The Rattles Reference Thread

Let's start a reference for sorting out all the different squeaks and rattles this car can make:

Rattle: Light, constant plastic rattle, sounds like it is coming from just behind the driver's side seat belt.
Common cause: Caps covering the child seat anchors. Opening/closing the caps typically fixes for a while.

Rattle: Armrest rattle that goes away with pressure
Common cause: plastic on plastic contact around armrest hinge. Fix with felt tabs.

Rattle: Constant rattle around steering wheel
Common cause: Cruise control stalk. New stalk may be required.

Rattle: Harsh rattle from passenger's side when going over bumps
Common cause: ???
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Garage List
Could be a nice thread, since I hate rattles...

Rattle: Plastic rattle, when cold outside, coming from passenger side A-pillar or dash
Common cause: A-pillar airbag cover rubbing against dash and/or loose.
Fix: Shim with felt
DIY:Possible but dealer will remove cover to fix & N/C under warranty

Rattle: Plastic rattle, on every road imperfection when colder, you think it's coming from rear seats or side window
Common cause: Plastic trim between side and rear seat.
Fix: Lift plastic part with hand, shim with felt
DIY: Yes
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Only rattle I've experienced sounds as if it comes from behind drivers head in back seat area.

Source: After 5 days of going crazy (it was loud), I finally found it. One of the seat belt anchors was resting against the plastic covers for the child seat latches and would vibrate randomly and on some bumps.

Fix: moved the seat belt anchor off the plastic cover.

DYI: Fuck yeah! And no more rattle!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

i am having a rattle every once and a while that sounds like it is coming out of the center console where the AC controls, etc are.

ideas?
      09-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Erik219
Statistical Consultancy (Medical / Pharma)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
Rattle: Harsh rattle from passenger's side when going over bumps
Common cause: ???
I've had this too, yesterday, after I had changed the position of the passenger seat to be able to install a child seat. Stopped over and found that there is a thick cable with electrical wiring (which is running from the floor to the seat, I have electric seats) that was close to a part of plastic underneeth the passenger seat. It was gently touching it, but when running through rough parts of the street, or at low (diesel) engine revs, it vibrated against the plastic, which was creating the rattle.
Just moved the seat an inch to the back and this moved the cable sufficient to obliviate the rattle...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Jayock
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Ive noticed the cruise control rattle... also, this:

Rattle: plastic rattle, coming from rear-view mirror -- Holding Mirror stops rattle
Fix: ???
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
i am having a rattle every once and a while that sounds like it is coming out of the center console where the AC controls, etc are.

ideas?
Yep I've got that one as well. Seems to come when it cools down outside or if the AC is pumping.
Try holding the seam in the trim right below the radio and above the buttons for the heated seats. It seems to be in there someplace.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
Let's start a reference for sorting out all the different squeaks and rattles this car can make:

Rattle: Light, constant plastic rattle, sounds like it is coming from just behind the driver's side seat belt.
Common cause: Caps covering the child seat anchors. Opening/closing the caps typically fixes for a while.
I've got what sounds like this one, but the strange thing is pushing on the headliner right around the driver's grab handle seems to make it go away. Anything else in this area?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Akien
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmat View Post
Rattle: Plastic rattle, on every road imperfection when colder, you think it's coming from rear seats or side window
I have this one since last winter. It went away during summer now it is coming back. When I push below the B pillar on both driver and passenger side I can hear something that sounds like a sticker peeling off. If I push hard on it then the noise goes away.

I took it to the dealership and of course it doesn't make the noise there. It drives me crazy I am going to try the felt approach.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Rattle: Plastic rattle coming from passenger side A-pillar or dash
Common cause: Loose clip holding A Pillar
Fix: Dealer removed and reseated A pillar cover and fixed loose clip, No charge under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Rattle: Armrest rattle that goes away with pressure
Common cause: plastic on plastic contact around armrest hinge. Fix with felt tabs.
I have this one to. Where exactly do the felt tabs go and where did you buy them?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #12
majorswoosh
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT

Rattles, Squeaks, Creaks = Therapy Required

Hi - new member here with a relatively new 135i. I realize that cabin noises are near impossible to diagnose without hitting your head against a few brick walls, so my expectations are not unrealistic in terms of getting rapid and helpful responses from the dealer on these kinds of issues.

What I am writing about and looking for advice on is my dealer's response to my passenger-side dashboard plasticky noises. The noises occur mostly on rough roads, but there is a light rattle coming from somewhere above the globebox now even off idle on a smooth road. Not always, but sometimes. Gremlins! The dealer's master technician's ultimate reply after hearing the noises was, "Blame the city's poor roads. You're going to get this from any car with a sport-tuned suspension. There's nothing I can do - I don't even know where to start."

My problem with this response is that this isn't my first rodeo; I have owned a slew of cars before this one and none of them have made noises like in my 135i. I expected more from a BMW. Perhaps my expectations are too high. Given that this is their final response, what do you recommend that I do? In your experience is there any value in escalating this to BMW Canada? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? How do I convince them to address the issue? I have this nasty feeling that I'm going to have to live with it... which is beyond frustrating and will require group therapy and result in hearing loss from my stereo being turned up all the time.

Thanks for your perspectives.
      11-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
ruffstik
Pirate
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.50]
what doesn't rattle in my car?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
ryanpick
turboless
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorswoosh View Post
...so my expectations are not unrealistic in terms of getting rapid and helpful responses from the dealer on these kinds of issues.

What I am writing about and looking for advice on is my dealer's response to my passenger-side dashboard plasticky noises.The dealer's master technician's ultimate reply after hearing the noises was, "Blame the city's poor roads. You're going to get this from any car with a sport-tuned suspension. There's nothing I can do - I don't even know where to start."
This is where i'm becoming increasing frustrated. I haven't even gone back to have my local service dealer but i feel like i already know it's going to be a waste of time. I have a annoying rattle now somewhere on the drivers side dash.
During my 15,000 mile oil change i brought up a concern about my clutch making a "springy" noise upon decompression. He made a comment like "well me can spray some stuff up there but i don't know if it'll help or what it may do...." and i'm basically thinking wat! you don't know what it'll do? and if you need to take apart the clutch assembly that's what you do...

of course the clutch makes the noise 95% of the time and it wasn't making the noise when i went to show him.

Do they take cabin noises seriously?

I'm seriously going from loving my car and looking forward to driving every time to just play annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpick View Post
During my 15,000 mile oil change i brought up a concern about my clutch making a "springy" noise upon decompression. He made a comment like "well me can spray some stuff up there but i don't know if it'll help or what it may do...."
I think there is a service bulletin on this. My dealer removed the auxiliary clutch spring, put felt on the contact points and put it back together. No more noise.

It's a shame that dealers are so hit and miss, especially with BMW's recent crappy build quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
I would also love to hear about the armrest fix, as it drives me CRAZY!!!! It almost makes me wish I got a 3'er because of the one piece armrests... almost.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
ryanpick
turboless
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Not going to get into it but I really don't feel like asking my service rep will do me any good.

1 rattle. Drivers side dash. Near the corner. Possibly where the vent is. It drives me crazy.

Fix: tried yelling and slapping the dash a few times(worried this may make the problem worse), as well as applying pressure with my hand to different areas while driving to possibly locate the problem. Thinking about driving into on coming traffic. no solution so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I had a dashboard rattle behind my glovebox that was recently resolved. One of the braces for the dashboard was screwed in throught the sound deadening causing it to not sit firm against the bulkhead.

Solution: dealer removed dashboard and relocated sound deadening.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #19
i_racer_chops
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i GT xDrive, White

knocking from the trunk

and nobody's locked in there. sounds like something is loose in the back passenger side. Dealer service dept can't find it.
      12-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Jumpman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

My ashtray cover was rattling bigtime until I put a thin piece of foam weatherstripping on the inside where the lid meets. Totally silent now.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #21
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Just wanted to add that I have this exact same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmat View Post

Rattle: Plastic rattle, when cold outside, coming from passenger side A-pillar or dash
Common cause: A-pillar airbag cover rubbing against dash and/or loose.
Fix: Shim with felt
DIY:Possible but dealer will remove cover to fix & N/C under warranty

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:10 AM   #22
SPEZNAS92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Anyone have a rattle coming from under there steering wheel... it occurs from the vibration of certain freeways, and when lane changing (from the vibration of the reflectors), It seems like its right under the airbag cover.

I've tried everything to isolate it but nothing works (pressing the horn, turn signal stalk etc.)

anyone have any ideas? it almost sounds like a little piece of plastic is broken and squeaking.

I have to listen to it every morning during my commute and I'm about to go Lou Ferrigno on my steering wheel!!!

HULKKK SMASSSHH!!!
E92 BMW 335i
E82 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0