BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

1M Cooling/Heat Soak

Cooling issues are paramount for those of us who plan to track the 1M.

Based on currently available information, it seems that most of the reported improvements are related to the much larger air intakes (and ducting) in the front end.

However, we don't yet know what hardware changes may have been made.

Specifically, I'm hoping we soon find out whether the FMIC and oil cooler are the same as the 135. I'm hoping, of course, that they're larger. An improved FMIC won't directly address cooling, but would help ward off heat soak.

Based on BMW's description, I'm expecting that the engine cooling system is identical to that on the 135 optioned with the "power performance" package (auxilliary radiator and improved fan).

Are there other cooling-related details that will be critical?

Last edited by MDORPHN; 12-29-2010 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
rca06Mcoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe Imola/Imola

I haven't raced my M cars and won't be racing the 1M but I'm really surprised BMW didn't anticipate these kinds of questions and have a press release & video prepared by the M division before they officially unveiled the car in mid December.

I do expect these details before or at the Detroit show.

At this point I really don't care about whether it is the same basic engine or HP. I want to know more about how they "married" the chassis to the engine (term used in old M Division video), which would include details about the rigorous M division testing we all assume was completed before the M sign off, and the thinking behind the decision making. Those details were revealed by BMW when the E46 was released at the Geneva show.

BTW I did see an old British video review on the Z4335is, summer 2009. In that video the reviewer said the Z4335is engine will be going into the forthcoming 1M.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I suspect other than ducting, the 1M cooling will be the same as the Z435is/335is/PPK. That is a good thing. I have the BMW PPK on my 135i. I spent a day at Laguna Seca (25min sessions every 2 hours) in mid-70s weather and never entered limp mode. In 2011 I will do some full weekends in warmer weather and report back.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

I was at Buttonwillow in the A group and there was a kid running a 335 that I assumed was modified. Temps where 90 to 100s, he made it through the first day without limp mode and hit it on the second day. Hopefully the 1M will be a improvement on that.
Appreciate 0