BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #45
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
You shouldn't care what collectors or "enthusiasts" think. Buy one and drive the shit out of it...that's what they're made for. $60k is still cheaper than a new M4 and the 1M is waaaaaay more fun to drive and own.

I actually feel sorry for people who buy cars and never drive them...the ones with super low miles I feel like they've never even enjoyed the car....would suck to value condition over living in the moment. A product of "thinking too much" IMO.
Agreed. I strap snowboards to my sports cars and drive through snow up mountains, I wear mechanical sport watches like they were intended, etc.

I certainly would have bought a 1M when new, but on the used market, a 135i with some added mods was too hard to pass up, cost-wise, and, like you said, I don't care what enthusiasts think about future value or it not being an actual M car. If anything, it makes it fun at the track as a sleeper. My friend with an E92 M3 doesn't understand why he can't catch me in my relatively plebeian looking little BMW.

Obviously, though, if someone was just giving me the car, I'd choose the 1M all day. I'm just not interested in paying collector prices on a used car, since I'm no collector.

As far as the M2 goes, several guys in my local BMW have them, but I'm just not interested. Both BMW and Porsche top out for me around 2012, in terms of feel and design.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #46
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
You shouldn't care what collectors or "enthusiasts" think. Buy one and drive the shit out of it...that's what they're made for. $60k is still cheaper than a new M4 and the 1M is waaaaaay more fun to drive and own.

I actually feel sorry for people who buy cars and never drive them...the ones with super low miles I feel like they've never even enjoyed the car....would suck to value condition over living in the moment. A product of "thinking too much" IMO.
Agreed. I strap snowboards to my sports cars and drive through snow up mountains, I wear mechanical sport watches like they were intended, etc.

I certainly would have bought a 1M when new, but on the used market, a 135i with some added mods was too hard to pass up, cost-wise, and, like you said, I don't care what enthusiasts think about future value or it not being an actual M car. If anything, it makes it fun at the track as a sleeper. My friend with an E92 M3 doesn't understand why he can't catch me in my relatively plebeian looking little BMW.

Obviously, though, if someone was just giving me the car, I'd choose the 1M all day. I'm just not interested in paying collector prices on a used car, since I'm no collector.

As far as the M2 goes, several guys in my local BMW have them, but I'm just not interested. Both BMW and Porsche top out for me around 2012, in terms of feel and design.
Love the 135. Had one before the 1M. The 1er was a classic from 128 through 1M IMO....
duder13767.00
      11-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #47
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Actually I have enjoyed my 1M - and when I got my M2, I realized I sort of had two of the same cars. So the 1M stopped being driven - and has been on a battery tender since (with trips to the dealer for oil service). It will come out of hibernation next year and be sold to help pay for my daughters college education. But no need to feel sorry
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1201.50
FIRSTM143.50
      11-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #48
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Actually I have enjoyed my 1M - and when I got my M2, I realized I sort of had two of the same cars. So the 1M stopped being driven - and has been on a battery tender since (with trips to the dealer for oil service). It will come out of hibernation next year and be sold to help pay for my daughters college education. But no need to feel sorry
You're the first person I've talked to who thinks the 1M and M2 feel the same...I certainly don't think that after my experiences driving an M2 and others who own both haven't expressed that to me before...in that case you should definitely sell it to someone who appreciates it for what it is!
      11-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #49
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
duder13767.00
      11-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #50
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Great little video! I think it honestly told us what we already know. The 1M is bad ass

I certainly agree with the consensus views regarding the 1M vs the M2.....very similar to my personal experience in comparing the 2 cars before my eventual purchase......however, I'm really curious how the newer M2C stacks up against the 1M?

Anyone here have any insight???
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #51
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
You're the first person I've talked to who thinks the 1M and M2 feel the same...I certainly don't think that after my experiences driving an M2 and others who own both haven't expressed that to me before...in that case you should definitely sell it to someone who appreciates it for what it is!
Actually, I said same car - meaning both two door BMWs. They are different in many ways (I posted my comments about this to the OP on the first page of this thread)
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1368756

I did enjoy the new updated features (and warranty) of the M2 - except for that damn rev match. The steering and ride are better in the 1M and well.. I've got another post or three here talking about the differences.

Alas, I moved up to the M3 (ride of the M2 wore on me) and it is the perfect DD - and with the 1M appreciating along with the cost of college, it will be sold to someone who I hope does drive it and loves it.
Appreciate 3
seis-speed2426.00
Tornado1M1201.50
10"4946.00
      11-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #52
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
here's the men with his priority straight, keep us posted when you do sell it, post on here first if you do it though, so others on here get first dips lol
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #53
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Great little video! I think it honestly told us what we already know. The 1M is bad ass

I certainly agree with the consensus views regarding the 1M vs the M2.....very similar to my personal experience in comparing the 2 cars before my eventual purchase......however, I'm really curious how the newer M2C stacks up against the 1M?

I picked up a M2C as an older "sibling" to my 1M. I was worried they might be too similar, but have found they are very different.

As pretty much every 1M owner knows, there is something visceral and frenetic about the little beast that is unmatched by most if not all recent BMWs from the past 20 years. That feeling is the product of a wonderful steering rack, short wheel base, the E92 suspension, and the modified N54.

The 1M just feels fun and playful, no matter how fast or slow you're driving. And I think that's really one of the biggest differences between it and the M2C. The 1M always feels fast....even when your going slow. 😊

The M2C is obviously fast, but you do not perceive it as going fast until you are in the lose-your-license territory of speeding. The steering is precise, but not nearly as communicative. The engine is like a locomotive, but interestingly the N54 with lighter fly wheel they used for the 1M version (and maybe the altered higher flow cats) seems more responsive and livelier.

I do have to say, as other have commented, that it is nice driving the M2C without fear of accident...it is a replaceable car. Not that I avoid driving the 1M out of fear, but you enjoy a sense of freedom with the M2C.

Both amazing cars. And I am very lucky to have both. But if I had to had just one, it would be the 1M.
Appreciate 7
10"4946.00
duder13767.00
Tornado1M1201.50
FIRSTM143.50
1'M Blue251.00
seis-speed2426.00
ayao627.50
      11-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #54
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
Quote:

I picked up a M2C as an older "sibling" to my 1M. I was worried they might be too similar, but have found they are very different.

As pretty much every 1M owner knows, there is something visceral and frenetic about the little beast that is unmatched by most if not all recent BMWs from the past 20 years. That feeling is the product of a wonderful steering rack, short wheel base, the E92 suspension, and the modified N54.

The 1M just feels fun and playful, no matter how fast or slow you're driving. And I think that's really one of the biggest differences between it and the M2C. The 1M always feels fast....even when your going slow. 😊

The M2C is obviously fast, but you do not perceive it as going fast until you are in the lose-your-license territory of speeding. The steering is precise, but not nearly as communicative. The engine is like a locomotive, but interestingly the N54 with lighter fly wheel they used for the 1M version (and maybe the altered higher flow cats) seems more responsive and livelier.

I do have to say, as other have commented, that it is nice driving the M2C without fear of accident...it is a replaceable car. Not that I avoid driving the 1M out of fear, but you enjoy a sense of freedom with the M2C.

Both amazing cars. And I am very lucky to have both. But if I had to had just one, it would be the 1M.
Thanks for that! Interesting to read
      11-28-2018, 08:29 PM   #55
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The 1M just feels fun and playful, no matter how fast or slow you're driving. And I think that's really one of the biggest differences between it and the M2C. The 1M always feels fast....even when your going slow.

Yes, thank you so very much

I have been considering adding more of a DD and looking at either a new 2019/20 M2C, 2016 M2 once they dip under $40k which is very soon probably by May 2019 or keeping it old school and trying to find a nice 05/06 e46 M3 Competition which I can probably find for under $40k as well.

Right now......I'm leaning towards old school
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #56
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The 1M just feels fun and playful, no matter how fast or slow you're driving. And I think that's really one of the biggest differences between it and the M2C. The 1M always feels fast....even when your going slow.

Yes, thank you so very much

I have been considering adding more of a DD and looking at either a new 2019/20 M2C, 2016 M2 once they dip under $40k which is very soon probably by May 2019 or keeping it old school and trying to find a nice 05/06 e46 M3 Competition which I can probably find for under $40k as well.

Right now......I'm leaning towards old school
Personally I would go for the e46 M3....especially in topaz blue metallic. Love the e46...BMW will never equal it.

Although if I could find a laguna seca blue s54 e38 M coupe, I'd buy it in a second. Love the clown shoe!
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1201.50
      11-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #57
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

hard to find a decent e46 M3 with mt, most out there are either convertible, or smg, if you do find one its pretty pricey or beat up.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1201.50
      11-29-2018, 06:10 AM   #58
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

found couple here

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51

this one is sale pending

and if you have the money you can get all 13 collectibles here, notice the current M2,M3,M4 not on the list

Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1201.50
      11-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #59
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The M car collection is amazing!
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1201.50
      11-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #60
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Looking at E46 coupes a year ago.

If you live out West where the performance shops have the transmission-swaps down.

I would buy an SMG car and have the transmission swapped to 6MT.
Some shops do up to 50 a year.

There are good SMG cars on Craigslist for 20-25k that would be 30-35k, or more, in 6MT.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1201.50
      11-30-2018, 11:56 PM   #61
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Tornado1M

If you are looking for a daily driver check out the Focus RS. You either love it or it is a bit of a compromise. I love mine. Feels so different than the 1M. You can get a new 2017 for mid 30’s in warmer climates. Manual only. Made in Germany.

Golf R is another option for something more relaxed.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1201.50
      12-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #62
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Tornado1M

If you are looking for a daily driver check out the Focus RS. You either love it or it is a bit of a compromise. I love mine. Feels so different than the 1M. You can get a new 2017 for mid 30's in warmer climates. Manual only. Made in Germany.

Golf R is another option for something more relaxed.
Those are great little cars!

However, I've got my heart set on a 05-06 Interlagos Blue e46 M3 if I'm going to spend in the $30K range. I may consider a SMG swap.....as its extremely difficult to find a good low mileage 6 speed MT one. But, Geez! There are tons of SMG's out there
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      12-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #63
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are great little cars!

However, I've got my heart set on a 05-06 Interlagos Blue e46 M3 if I'm going to spend in the $30K range. I may consider a SMG swap.....as its extremely difficult to find a good low mileage 6 speed MT one. But, Geez! There are tons of SMG's out there
yeah, there is quite a lot, I've seen few under 20k few years back, probably still there if you look harder, but be careful, after past 10 years, there's been flooding through southern and eastern side of the country, so a lot of flood cars are moved around the states to hide the fact.
Appreciate 0