E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Look Out, IS350 Test Drive Opinion

10-18-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Accounting4Speed
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Look Out, IS350 Test Drive Opinion

So, I took off work early and figured i'd give this little rice machine a look see. Here's what I discovered/concluded.

Pros: Amazing turning radius, park this thing anywhere
Backup camera (though if you have iDrive you can get one)
Paddle shifiting is actually pretty quick

Cons: Very cheap interior, dials, switches, especially the sunglass case
Vented seats really don't do squat
No back seat, might as well buy a coupe
Gauges are small, hard to read, and not attractive
Shift gate looks like a jigsaw puzzle
Worthless middle cupholder
Same over-assisted Lexus steering
Not as quiet at highway speed as Lexi usually are

Overall: This thing isn't close to a 3-series. Lexus has an okay product, but what they did is exactly what Infinit did, they saw the American market sweating more power and put a big engine in the car and kept the price low by cutting interior corners. If you like the car i'm sorry to bash it, but drive it for a year and you'll wish you bought a 3-series.

Addition: I also got a brochure for the new IS, hilarious, they take a photo tour through Germany, like that's gonna make me think this thing matches up to a BMW, LOL! If you want me to post the brochure, remark that in your replies.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accounting4Speed
No back seat, might as well buy a coupe
Worthless middle cupholder
Same over-assisted Lexus steering
Hmmmm..... now what car does this remind me of ?
OH that's right! Its the E46 from 7 years ago!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Backup camera (though if you have iDrive you can get one)
With iDrive you get the animated image of the car followed by green, yellow and red bars appearing the closer you get to the object(s). This, combined with the beeps is more than ample for just about everyone with PDC.

You can however buy from BMW a camera for the front and back with the display mounted in place of one dash air vent. You don't need iDrive for that.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

You know I agree with you with the interior. The buttons doesn't feel that upscale its funny people in the IS forum praises how expensive the new interiro feels. I just go along with them because I dont want to be an asshole.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
yeah...let's see some of that brochure.

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I feel that Lexus is a highly overrated brand. If I want Toyota reliability I would just buy a toyota, they are solid cars. Lexus, on the other hand is just an expensive Toyota in my book.

Accounting4Speed, what ever happened with the Passat you were thinking of buying?
      10-18-2005, 09:23 PM   #7
Atrain
Rep
Drives: '00, 323i

For those of you who are gadget freaks and want to see the latest in Navigation technology I would highly suggest you take a look at the navigation on the IS. It is breathtaking!!! Let me rephrase, it is not the navigation itself but rather the monitor. It is some sort of new technology that is not yet available on any of their other models. It is the most crisp and clear monitor I have ever seen in an automobile. I'm talking LCD quality. It is stunning. If you are even considering testing one out I would suggest you do if only to see the nav screen, It's supurb!! Other than that I agree that it is too small, not enough wood and feels kind of cheap. Dont be fooled the IS will never be a replacement for a 3 series, but the interior technology is SWEET!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I learned my lesson...

Never, EVER, buy a car for its amenities.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #9
Accounting4Speed
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrain
For those of you who are gadget freaks and want to see the latest in Navigation technology I would highly suggest you take a look at the navigation on the IS. It is breathtaking!!! Let me rephrase, it is not the navigation itself but rather the monitor. SWEET!
If you want a serious NAV/LCD experience, go look at the new A4, the nav and lcd in it is gorgeous. Not to mention you get SD card slots behind the screen, and a folding screen in dash just looks badass.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2005, 01:17 AM   #10
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

^^^
Having the screen so low on the dash of the A4 really is so typical of first generation nav. You'd have to remove your eyes from the road for too long to read the screen.

I'd rather have the screen higher up near eye-level eg. E90, Lexus.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2005, 01:21 AM   #11
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I've said that a few times already in other threads, visor We both apparently agree on the importance of the placement of this screen. Someone also already mentioned that Audi's little screen in the gauge cluster will display arrows for navigation but then, what's the point/use of the bigger screen if you're not going to be glancing at it?

On top of that, it appears that the E90 screen is bigger. In regards to Lexus's screen, it's placed a little higher but not as high as the E90 and definitely not keenly placed inside a concaved pit in the dash.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2005, 05:08 AM   #12
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
If you want a serious NAV/LCD experience, go look at the new A4, the nav and lcd in it is gorgeous. Not to mention you get SD card slots behind the screen, and a folding screen in dash just looks badass.

wow thats quite beautifull
      10-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #13
dpcdomino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FX35

The interior of the A4 is nice but badly planned. For instance, you cannot lift the hand brake with the arm rest down. It hits the armrest.

Plus I rather have a AUX input than two SD slots behind the radio.

Another thing to add is the Audi's shifting. If you have to be in stop and go trafficc, it will suck. You will have to go down to 1st gear frequently which is probably not too good for the transmission. 2nd gear is too weak.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2005, 07:30 AM   #14
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

1990's interior with an ugly wheel!

[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 01:56 AM   #15
inline6
Rep
Drives: 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d
1990's interior with an ugly wheel!
Agreed. The center console is nasty with those exaggerated side panels. And the buttons/switch layout looks quite inelegant to me. Hate the effect of the trim wrapping around to the door too - it looks like an old tug-boat or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 02:10 AM   #16
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I like the trim wrapping onto the door. Well, looks better than no trim, in my opinion. More trim means less plastic substitute material on the doors unless you have leather upholstery, an option that's ridiculously costly and not even available on either the A4 or the E90.

The buttons/layout in the center looks nice. I have a penchant in gadgetry and complexity. More buttons, knobs, sliders, and displays, the better. Make it look like the interior of an airplane cockpit.

I still like the E90 interior more, however. Main reason due to the iDrive screen placement and the added, second 'pit'.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 08:16 AM   #17
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
I personally despise the 2nd "pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
I like the trim wrapping onto the door. Well, looks better than no trim, in my opinion. More trim means less plastic substitute material on the doors unless you have leather upholstery, an option that's ridiculously costly and not even available on either the A4 or the E90.

The buttons/layout in the center looks nice. I have a penchant in gadgetry and complexity. More buttons, knobs, sliders, and displays, the better. Make it look like the interior of an airplane cockpit.

I still like the E90 interior more, however. Main reason due to the iDrive screen placement and the added, second 'pit'.
It looks like something that Mr.Spock would be looking through....
I understand why it's needed though.

CZ
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 09:42 PM   #18
sunchild
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

the new interior looks like the 2nd generation TL interior (1999-2003)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 09:44 PM   #19
coco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchild
the new interior looks like the 2nd generation TL interior (1999-2003)
Agreed! the quality of materials in the Audi interior might be nice but it's not a modern looking design anymore by a longshot.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2005, 02:31 AM   #20
inline6
Rep
Drives: 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks

I like the way BMW tried to add a bit of artistic flair to their interior. The asymmetrical curves, oddly sweeping lines, etc. It's really very refreshing - a new sort of design language. I've kinda bought into it a bit now, and I'm starting to find stuff like this Audi design very uninspired. It's neatish and sharpish, but just not interesting or imaginative. Look at the door pulls, arm rests, center console on the e90 - contraversial maybe, but also gorgeous, in both style and simplicity.

Totally agree about the e90 nav housing/design. It's the perfect example of artistic function - that thing is just beautiful imho. It simply murders the Audi, which looks like some college kid's attempt at an el-cheapo home built computer in comparison.
Appreciate 0