BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
fmxomar
Major
76
Rep
1,245
Posts

Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: san diego, ca

iTrader: (15)

cut/grinded fenders > rolled fenders

well i had my rear fenders cut/grinded last night. most importantly it gains more room than rolling, looks much cleaner than rolling, and no chance of cracking paint.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
1013mm
aka 1013MM
1013mm's Avatar
Hong Kong
806
Rep
9,550
Posts

Drives: pokingly flush
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles / HK

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.13]
Send a message via AIM to 1013mm Send a message via MSN to 1013mm
so hows the clearance now? no more rub??
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
197
Rep
3,443
Posts

Drives: 19 M2C 6MT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
did u do it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
fmxomar
Major
76
Rep
1,245
Posts

Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: san diego, ca

iTrader: (15)

Definatly no rub hahah. im actaully gonna add spacers make it super flush(no i dont care about any of your opinions).. and eventually get wider wheels maybe 10.5 inch

Anyone in san diego or L.A. area that wants it done the guy is a pro and guarantees no rubbing. Hes super cool and you will be happy with the result for sure. the cost is 350-400$


he had some cut and widened 10.5 inch wide csl reps haha we test fitted them just for fun. would need some serious tire stretch to pull that off.. or more + offset
Attached Images
   

Last edited by fmxomar; 03-28-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
mkPOTO's Avatar
487
Rep
16,647
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (25)

Garage List
dam i cant wait to see pictures with thoughs csl mounted
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
28
Rep
570
Posts

Drives: jb 135 on order
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: irvine, ca

iTrader: (0)

can you pm me the guy as i would like to do this so i can fit some fatter rubber under there.

Thanks
__________________
2009 135 in transit
jet black, coral red, 6mt. sports, hifi, ipod usb, idrive
parts sitting in garage: RR intake, plenum, ddv, cdv, catless dp's, o2 sim, catback, bmw performance shifter, m door sills, cf spoiler, cf mirror caps, cf grills, cf pedals.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
fmxomar
Major
76
Rep
1,245
Posts

Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: san diego, ca

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyjr15 View Post
can you pm me the guy as i would like to do this so i can fit some fatter rubber under there.

Thanks

pm'ing right now
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
ptack
Brigadier General
ptack's Avatar
United_States
153
Rep
4,430
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.25]
I wish BMW had just flared the wheel wells out a little father.
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Apex EC-7s, PPK Stage II
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
fmxomar
Major
76
Rep
1,245
Posts

Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: san diego, ca

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I wish BMW had just flared the wheel wells out a little father.
dont we all
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
driftdriven
Captain
38
Rep
905
Posts

Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

ya but we would still try to fit wider wheels and tires even if it was wider......you know I'm right LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,182
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Back from the dead.

Thanks for sharing this information. Looking to get this done. Have you run into any issues with the the fender splitting where it meets the wheel well?

Do you remember what he used to do the cutting? Also, can you please tell me where he is located and his contact information?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #12
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
1737
Rep
6,405
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Back from the dead.

Thanks for sharing this information. Looking to get this done. Have you run into any issues with the the fender splitting where it meets the wheel well?

Do you remember what he used to do the cutting? Also, can you please tell me where he is located and his contact information?
Huge +1 on this. Will happily follow suit but need to know how to finish the job appropriately.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 1
houtan389.50

      04-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #13
low135
Captain
low135's Avatar
1443
Rep
955
Posts

Drives: E88 135i
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Clearwater

iTrader: (0)

Might be the oldest necro I've ever seen lol 10+ years. That's impressive.
BTW I had to do this when I was going through some things with my air ride/spring/shock debacle. We took a cutoff wheel and just slowly worked our way around the fender at the edge. Finished off with a sander and some black roll on anti rust paint.
Appreciate 1
houtan389.50

      04-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #14
Soterios
BXR
374
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

I just had my fenders rolled by a body shop. I threw some photos up of the lips and the fitment after.

I'm running Arc8's in their staggered set up, but with additional 10mm spacers in the rear. Currently on stock suspension.

They almost never rub unless I go over a significant dip at highway speeds.
Attached Images
   
__________________
2012 135i M Sport Alpine White
Typical Boring Build
Appreciate 2
houtan389.50
Matticus913121.00

      04-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,182
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
Might be the oldest necro I've ever seen lol 10+ years. That's impressive.
BTW I had to do this when I was going through some things with my air ride/spring/shock debacle. We took a cutoff wheel and just slowly worked our way around the fender at the edge. Finished off with a sander and some black roll on anti rust paint.
I know right!

The problem is, I can find a bunch of posts on rolling or cutting, but nothing definitive on how to do either.

Do you recall how much you cut off? Is it the entire lip or just a few mm? The concern with cutting is the outer and inner fender will split. See this link for pictures at the bottom. I read that if you cut the lip but leave the spot welds holding the two pieces together, it should be fine. But I found posts saying the two fenders separated in this scenario as well.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...=839461&page=3
__________________
2011 LMB 135i DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #16
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,182
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I just had my fenders rolled by a body shop. I threw some photos up of the lips and the fitment after.

I'm running Arc8's in their staggered set up, but with additional 10mm spacers in the rear. Currently on stock suspension.

They almost never rub unless I go over a significant dip at highway speeds.
Thanks for your post. Do you know how they went about rolling your fender? Did they remove the sealer goop that is supposedly above the lip?

That amount of clearance would be perfect for me. I am also on ARC8s, et62, 275s in the rear. I have the slightest rubbing with 3mm spacers, only on my passenger side. It is rubbing on the fuel filler neck. I am going to investigate if pushing the wheel out another few mm will give me the inner clearance I need.

If not, I need to revert back to stock height upper shock bushings because I believe the issue will be that I have too much suspension travel with the TC DA shock and dinan upper shock mount.
__________________
2011 LMB 135i DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #17
Soterios
BXR
374
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Thanks for your post. Do you know how they went about rolling your fender? Did they remove the sealer goop that is supposedly above the lip?

That amount of clearance would be perfect for me. I am also on ARC8s, et62, 275s in the rear. I have the slightest rubbing with 3mm spacers, only on my passenger side. It is rubbing on the fuel filler neck. I am going to investigate if pushing the wheel out another few mm will give me the inner clearance I need.

If not, I need to revert back to stock height upper shock bushings because I believe the issue will be that I have too much suspension travel with the TC DA shock and dinan upper shock mount.
I'm not 100% sure, but he did mention removing that sealant (or some of it) before rolling.
__________________
2012 135i M Sport Alpine White
Typical Boring Build
Appreciate 1
houtan389.50

      04-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #18
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,182
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but he did mention removing that sealant (or some of it) before rolling.
Thanks. Did the fenders bow out at all or does it look stock from the outside?

Anyone know the best way to remove the sealant?
__________________
2011 LMB 135i DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #19
Soterios
BXR
374
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but he did mention removing that sealant (or some of it) before rolling.
Thanks. Did the fenders bow out at all or does it look stock from the outside?

Anyone know the best way to remove the sealant?
It looks stock. I'm not sure there were any changes to the outside
Attached Images
 
__________________
2012 135i M Sport Alpine White
Typical Boring Build
Appreciate 1
houtan389.50

      04-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #20
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
1737
Rep
6,405
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

houtan I'd just cut them. Rolling is a pain. Heat gun and sander wheel got rid of my goop but didn't gain much with the roll. Supposedly the apex +58 offset doesn't rub the filler.. dunno, I'm getting ready to fit 275 square so we'll see I guess.

I'm going to cut mine and see how it goes

Also I think it's Monroe that make the high density stock height RSMs, but I'm considering gettjng rid of my dinan upper bushes too.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 04-16-2019 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
houtan389.50

      04-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #21
Soterios
BXR
374
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
houtan I'd just cut them. Rolling is a pain. Heat gun and sander wheel got rid of my goop but didn't gain much with the roll. Supposedly the apex +58 offset doesn't rub the filler.. dunno, I'm getting ready to fit 275 square so we'll see I guess.

I'm going to cut mine and see how it goes

Also I think it's Monroe that make the high density stock height RSMs, but I'm considering gettjng rid of my dinan upper bushes too.
The Apex wheels rubbed even with no spacers and stock suspension, which is what drove me to rolling. I'm +58 in the rear. If I lower the car, add a little camber, and the rubbing gets worse, I'll probably take it back in to have material removed.
__________________
2012 135i M Sport Alpine White
Typical Boring Build
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #22
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,182
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
houtan I'd just cut them. Rolling is a pain. Heat gun and sander wheel got rid of my goop but didn't gain much with the roll. Supposedly the apex +58 offset doesn't rub the filler.. dunno, I'm getting ready to fit 275 square so we'll see I guess.

I'm going to cut mine and see how it goes

Also I think it's Monroe that make the high density stock height RSMs, but I'm considering gettjng rid of my dinan upper bushes too.
Thanks brother. I am good with cutting them if I can get confirmation the two fenders will not split like in the thread I posted earlier. That is the last thing I want to happen.

it seems like Soterios got a really good roll looking at his pictures. Is your roll like his? That would be plenty for me.

Totally agree dealing with that goop is a pain in the butt.

So I was running a 5mm spacer with my arc8s which puts the offset at 57, about 1.8 degrees camber, Sumitomo htr III 275s. Drivers side was good. Passenger side would catch on the fender lip closer to the front of the lip. I think I can take an angle grinder and shave down the passenger lip a tiny bit and be good. My car is on jack stands until I figure out how bad the tire is hitting by removing the spring and jacking up the suspension until the tire hits the filler.

I actually bought AKG black upper shock bushings. I believe they are stock height, stiff, and priced much better than powerflex. But, my preference would be to fix this without changing anything in the suspension. The extra travel from the shorter shock and dinan bushings is awesome and my car rides really really good.
__________________
2011 LMB 135i DCT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST