BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
519.E82
First Lieutenant
519.E82's Avatar
Canada
171
Rep
369
Posts

Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

So the wheels are BMW E46 M3 CSL wheels. The front tires are 235/35/19 and the rears are 265/30/19.

With my camber the fronts fit hella flush, maybe rub a tad during full lock turning, if they were brand new tires.

The rears, have a slight bit of poke, but theres enough clearance that i don't think it rubs anywhere.

Would you try to run these on track? I know 19's aren't usually ideal, and the side wall is considerably small, but i have an chance to get them super cheap. I know they're a little beat up but - track wheels so oh well.

The tires i would run are Bridgestone RE71R
Front 235/35/19
Rear 255/35/19
Attached Images
   
__________________
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
rowsdower
Captain
rowsdower's Avatar
610
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

You don't need that much rear tire on a 128i. They came with 205s stock, 225s if you had the sport package. How often are you lighting up the rears on track with stock widths? Probably never is my guess. I track my car with 225s and don't think I've ever broken traction on a dry track - and I've got catless headers and a tune.

More important than maximizing rear traction is balancing traction. A square setup is usually best as it limits understeer. A staggered setup will understeer. Square means the same tire width front and rear. Also, a square setup lets you rotate the tires to get more life out of them. Staggered can only be rotated side to side, and if they're directional, can only be rotated in dry weather.

19s are silly - they're heavy, ride harshly, and tires cost a lot once you start getting to that low of a profile. There is no reason to choose 19s for track purposes. IMO they don't even do much in the looks department since we don't have blingy brakes to show off.

You are better off finding the lightest 17" wheels you can find with an offset that works with the E82. Look for used wheels in the 8.5-9.0" width range with a ~45 offset. Here are some popular options:

Apex ARC-8s
D-Force LTW5s
Apex EC-7s (only available in 18, but light)
Advanti Storm S1s
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
519.E82
First Lieutenant
519.E82's Avatar
Canada
171
Rep
369
Posts

Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
You don't need that much rear tire on a 128i. They came with 205s stock, 225s if you had the sport package. How often are you lighting up the rears on track with stock widths? Probably never is my guess. I track my car with 225s and don't think I've ever broken traction on a dry track - and I've got catless headers and a tune.

More important than maximizing rear traction is balancing traction. A square setup is usually best as it limits understeer. A staggered setup will understeer. Square means the same tire width front and rear. Also, a square setup lets you rotate the tires to get more life out of them. Staggered can only be rotated side to side, and if they're directional, can only be rotated in dry weather.

19s are silly - they're heavy, ride harshly, and tires cost a lot once you start getting to that low of a profile. There is no reason to choose 19s for track purposes. IMO they don't even do much in the looks department since we don't have blingy brakes to show off.

You are better off finding the lightest 17" wheels you can find with an offset that works with the E82. Look for used wheels in the 8.5-9.0" width range with a ~45 offset. Here are some popular options:

Apex ARC-8s
D-Force LTW5s
Apex EC-7s (only available in 18, but light)
Advanti Storm S1s
Im going to be honest i dont trust your opinion.
1) mine came with 215 fronts and 245's rear - factory.
2) i can light them up very easily with traction off and if on and i floor it, it will constant cut power on launch
3) im perfectly aware of square vs staggered
4) the best recommended is 17x8.5 with 235/40-17 for a square set up on arc 8s.

The benefits of the price im paying for the 19's is i would have to buy 3 full sets of tires for each wheel option before the 17's because a cheaper option and moving from run flat 18's to non run flat 19s isn't any more harsh at all.
__________________
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
rowsdower
Captain
rowsdower's Avatar
610
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I didn't mean to insult you with my explanation of what a square setup is. I just saw in another thread where you mentioned doing your first track day recently and figured I would clarify on the off chance you weren't familiar with the term. I'm certainly not the most experienced track driver in the world, but I've done enough to know that square is the right setup on this car. Staggered 19s are not optimal for what you're trying to do but I'd be lying if I said I've never made compromises to save a few bucks. Either way it's your car and your money, so do what you want. The question you asked was "would you run these wheels on track?" and my answer is no.

Square 235s work, square 245s also work if you have enough front camber and the right offset. 245s definitely work in back.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
519.E82
First Lieutenant
519.E82's Avatar
Canada
171
Rep
369
Posts

Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
I didn't mean to insult you with my explanation of what a square setup is. I just saw in another thread where you mentioned doing your first track day recently and figured I would clarify on the off chance you weren't familiar with the term. I'm certainly not the most experienced track driver in the world, but I've done enough to know that square is the right setup on this car. Staggered 19s are not optimal for what you're trying to do but I'd be lying if I said I've never made compromises to save a few bucks. Either way it's your car and your money, so do what you want. The question you asked was "would you run these wheels on track?" and my answer is no.

Square 235s work, square 245s also work if you have enough front camber and the right offset. 245s definitely work in back.
I appreciate the input. If i had more financial resources and went more often, I would dedicate more money and go with apex but it really comes down to I dont. I have bigger obligations to spend money on and save for (currently a house), so i am looking at this as a golden opportunity to save a bit of money, have less worries at the track, and not cook a set of $2k tires much faster in the process.
__________________
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
crowtrobot
Second Lieutenant
187
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 2011 128i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Philly

iTrader: (1)

I second rowsdowers opinion.

I run a 235 square setup on Apex 18"s. Any larger than these, or any heavier than the apexs, and you'll just be adding unsprung weight. Also I really can't imagine needing more tire than this with a 128i. The only time I've gotten the back end loose on the track was either in the wet or the freezing cold.

Definitely understand the desire to keep things affordable, but my experience as I've continued tracking the car is that I'd have rather just bought the right stuff the first time rather than compromising and eventually selling/upgrading.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
NorthernDancer
Major
316
Rep
1,333
Posts

Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

iTrader: (3)

And I'll agree strongly with rowsdowers and crowtrobot. It looks like all 3 of us have done a number of track days in our 128s. Money is important to me too and I run 17s with 215 & 225s, Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
People at the track are going to notice your 19 inch and odd ball offset.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
rowsdower
Captain
rowsdower's Avatar
610
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
I appreciate the input. If i had more financial resources and went more often, I would dedicate more money and go with apex but it really comes down to I dont. I have bigger obligations to spend money on and save for (currently a house), so i am looking at this as a golden opportunity to save a bit of money, have less worries at the track, and not cook a set of $2k tires much faster in the process.
Ah got it, that is helpful context. I remember those days when I was younger and trying to save for a downpayment on a house. I would tow my (stock) SV650 to the track ~3 hours away and sleep in the back of the car. I kept it cheap by keeping it simple.

Another suggestion would be to get a set of stock wheels from a non-sport 128i with square 205s on them. You could probably pick them up on Craigslist (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is) for $100-200 depending on tire condition. Even run-flats will be fine if you're starting out (I've tracked them before, they're fine). You will learn more and have more fun on less grippy and skinnier tires anyway. When you've got a more flexible budget, put them back on Craigslist for what you paid and get a set of nice track wheels.

Let us know what you end up deciding to do and tell us about your next track day!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
BimmerAg's Avatar
United_States
387
Rep
530
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Look for a set of 17" wheels from an e46. They often had sizes and offsets that work for our cars. They'll be lighter than 19's and tires will be way cheaper. I have a set of Style 68's that I got for a couple hundred bucks and I run square 255's. 17" wheels are also really common on subarus and s2000's so it's easy to find lightly used tires for cheap from autocross guys.
__________________
2011 BMW 135i ///M-Sport, DCT
MHD Stage 2, VRSF DP, cp-e Charge Pipe, H&R Front sway bar, BMW performance diffuser
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #10
519.E82
First Lieutenant
519.E82's Avatar
Canada
171
Rep
369
Posts

Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
Look for a set of 17" wheels from an e46. They often had sizes and offsets that work for our cars. They'll be lighter than 19's and tires will be way cheaper. I have a set of Style 68's that I got for a couple hundred bucks and I run square 255's
Unfortuantly not many available in my area unless i want to pay a ton. How bad could the CSL wheels be, they're designed for the highest performance M3 (e46.)

I always also can refinish them and sell for a large profit.
__________________
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
519.E82
First Lieutenant
519.E82's Avatar
Canada
171
Rep
369
Posts

Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I did eventually plan to run a bbk - yes i know this is very different because M2 but i will be following through and trying out the 19's.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1600433

This thread has gave me a bit more confidence with my idea.
__________________
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST