BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Ajaxthedog89
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i Coupe

Garage List
Which automatic transmission do I have?

I asked my dealer for a quote to change the trans fluid in my 2011 128i. He quoted me $1050 and listed parts that were for a ZF transmission. He said his parts guy checked the VIN and that’s what it told him.

To the contrary my transmission pan has a sticker saying use BMW part number 83220397114 which is for the Dexron VI type fluid which implies to me this is a GM trans. There is also a bar code tag but I can’t make heads or tails of that. Both are pictured below.

The online VIN decoder says I have the GM trans GS6-17BG, but I believe that's for a manual transmission, not what I have.

Can anyone who is familiar with one of these type transmissions say which I have? Thank you.

Last edited by Ajaxthedog89; 05-15-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I was pretty sure the automatics where of the GA6HP19Z variety:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...3907kt#fitment

It looks like productions dates prior to 9/2010 might have a different transmission though.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      05-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

128i AT are the GM .

I'd not let that dealer put air in my tires.
      05-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Automatic Transmissions...

128i's have the GM trans made in France.
135i's have ZF trans made in Germany.

Take a look at this DIY 129i AT transmission fluid change... it has the same green sticker(and fluid part number) as your car has!

DIY: 128i GM GA6L45R Automatic Transmission Filter Change
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995991

You might check with these guys to see IF they have a AT fluid change kit for your GM trans.

The California Transmission Supply Company.
www.thectsc.com/catalog/6-speed-bmw-61.html

Dackel
Appreciate 2
gjm1202181.50
      05-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

You can get a full change kit from FCP or ECS Tuning. I did mine a couple of months ago and went full OEM (filter and fluid). The kit, which included bolts, was about $250.

It's a little scary (under a running car waiting for the correct fluid temp) and very messy but certainly doable.

If you don't want to diy, I'd check other shops and you might be able to get someone to do it for you much less than you were quoted. I think the parts for the GM are a little cheaper than for the ZF.
      05-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Ajaxthedog89
Rep

Garage List
Right you are!

I was looking at the FCP euro website and kinda backed into an answer. The pan on the GM trans is flat stamped steel, while the ZF is finned aluminum. Also the picture they have for the pan of the GM automatic transmission GA6-L45R has the same exact green sticker as mine saying only use (BMW part number for) Dexron VI.

So I think that is good news actually because if American manufacturers can do one thing well its the auto trans. I only have 38K miles on mine and I'm a sedate driver so I think I'll wait until 50K miles to do the job. Also not really jazzed about laying under a running car and pumping fluid so I think I will look for somewhere that I can put it on a lift to do the work.

Thanks all for your help and advice, it's very much appreciated!

PS, this also confirms that my dealer is an idiot!

Last edited by Ajaxthedog89; 05-15-2019 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10527.50
gjm1202181.50
      05-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
benzosnenzos
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i ca$$hmere

My 135i is back in business

After Chapman BMW quoted me almost $9k to fix my car, I began saving some money away each month in order to eventually fix my car.

Later on, after discussing the work that needed to be done on this forum, I knew it was not going to be BMW dealer to fix my car and so I got a quote from another local shop that had worked on my car previously.

The manager/owner started to explain the work that needed to be done and potential issues I may face soon after car would be fixed, indicating that there was a 10% that I could have subsequent problems after car was fixed. This was a red flag obviously.

Also, this shop wanted $4500 for parts and labor or in alternative was willing to buy my car from me for $2900. Second red flag..

It was during that conversation where I realized I was on the verge of being robbed. Guy told me that I was being quoted on a job that may or may not be needed to ensure the car was safe to drive, but he would have to do only if the car made a noise after the work was done!!!?????

I asked him a few more details about what the job was, and he immediately got defensive and stated that all the work they do at their shop is justified and yada yada yada...Red flag #3

I responded with confusion bc I was not questioning the integrity of their shop but bc I am not well informed on mechanics or motors and simply wanted clarification. The convo ended with him letting me know that one of his mechanics was gonna call me and let me know what else needed to be done... last and final red flag #4....

After this, I reached out to this forum again and also spoke with peeps on Instagram.

After a few phone calls and new acquaintances, I am happy to report that after 5 months, my car is being revived by a mechanic who not only explained in detail what needed to be done but also is providing the service at a reasonable price.

Karma is a motherf'r! The BMW dealer in addition to POS shop of thieves at the other store deserve to be burned for their recommendations and quotes.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      05-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxthedog89 View Post
I was looking at the FCP euro website and kinda backed into an answer. The pan on the GM trans is flat stamped steel, while the ZF is finned aluminum. Also the picture they have for the pan of the GM automatic transmission GA6-L45R has the same exact green sticker as mine saying only use (BMW part number for) Dexron VI.

So I think that is good news actually because if American manufacturers can do one thing well its the auto trans. I only have 38K miles on mine and I'm a sedate driver so I think I'll wait until 50K miles to do the job. Also not really jazzed about laying under a running car and pumping fluid so I think I will look for somewhere that I can put it on a lift to do the work.

I think 50,000 is a good time to do it. Did mine just under that and the fluid and filter were not that bad. I'd advise against buying in on the BMW line about lifetime or 100,000 miles.
      05-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxthedog89 View Post

Assume it's the one in Highlands Ranch and I was less than impressed with them whenI looked at a used E36 M3 and the salesman told me it was never tracked. How do you know - show me proof I asked? He didnt have an answer, that was it for me. I had what used to be Murray do some work on my 128i and they seemed OK.

I can't say anything bad about the one in Highlands Ranch. I think they donated my 128i to a Jeffco school raffle in 08 and I bought it 8 years later from the winner. She said they were wonderful to her.
      05-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I think 50,000 is a good time to do it. Did mine just under that and the fluid and filter were not that bad. I'd advise against buying in on the BMW line about lifetime or 100,000 miles.
Its funny bc BMW says "lifetime" fluid while ZF says to change the ATF every 80K kms. I remember seeing that in a ZF pdf a while back. 50K miles sounds like a good time to change your fluid.

I realize the OP has a GM trans... but I was just using ZF as an example. BMW just takes a supplier's transmission(ZF or GM) and rolls the dice on whether that trans will make it out of the warranty period time frame. But IF you plan on keeping your car long term... frequent oil changes(engine,trans, diff, coolant, PS, brake fluid) are the best thing for the long haul.

Dack
Appreciate 1
gjm1202181.50
      05-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #11
Ajaxthedog89
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
Assume it's the one in Highlands Ranch and I was less than impressed with them whenI looked at a used E36 M3 and the salesman told me it was never tracked. How do you know - show me proof I asked? He didnt have an answer, that was it for me. I had what used to be Murray do some work on my 128i and they seemed OK.

I can't say anything bad about the one in Highlands Ranch. I think they donated my 128i to a Jeffco school raffle in 08 and I bought it 8 years later from the winner. She said they were wonderful to her.
Yep, Schomp BMW. Let's see, I paid $345 for a new battery, then $937 for a single TPMS wheel unit and RDC sending unit. After that I figured I have to find a better way, dealer charges top shelf prices for work I could do myself for a lot less. So I have replaced all four wheels pads and rotors with EBC Red Stuff ceramic low dust pads, replaced the sensors, done a few oil changes, changed the brake fluid and the coolant. Just guessing I figure I've probably saved $3000 over using this dealer. Nice people but when you don't have a warranty they become bloodsuckers.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My son's generic term for all "dealers" is "stealers".

I don't think they are that bad but most have a range of mechanics with some pretty good ones and some others. An oil change goes to an "other". You hope you get a good one when you have a serious problem but when you drive a one series, you may not. They are way across town for me so I do not use them for maintenance. If I don't want to do it myself I go to an independent. They were not cheap either charging me $800 for an alternator replacement. I do brakes and oil changes myself.