BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #67
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Yep, agreed 100%.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the "deplorables" angle was something devised to be edgy pop culture and make it appear different from yet another Purge movie. What are they on, now, The Purge 6?
It's the same thing...only different.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #68
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
It's the same thing...only different.
Seems to be more and more of that going on in Hollywood these days.

I don't know if that's a bigger condemnation of them or of the viewing public, honestly.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13877.00

08-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #69
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Seems to be more and more of that going on in Hollywood these days.

I don't know if that's a bigger condemnation of them or of the viewing public, honestly.
I can't remember where I read it but one of the signs of the decline of a society or industry is the retelling of the same stories or rehashing the same inventions with slight modifications. I think this fits in both spheres.

Look at Star Wars vs the Marvel Universe. The former is stagnant and moribund with the last iteration coming up this winter and the other is a vibrant multifaceted story tapestry with no sign of stopping. Granted, there are only so many ways one can tell a gigantic space opera but I think the comparison is valid.

Cheers-mk

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #70
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
I'm genuinely curious what you all think of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. I've seen it twice already, and I've read how anti-liberal it is. Certainly the rewriting of history by two men from an obsolete era and their confrontation with the "fucking hippies" sends some kind of message about the good old days of male strength and a good ass kicking. It seems the antithesis of Tarantino movies of the past where strong female leads were breaking down the stereotypes of helpless eye candy that needs men to save them (Kill Bill, Jackie Brown, Deathproof). Here the hippie jailbait is the enemy, perhaps an answer to the metoo movement where the lines of who's wrong and who's right aren't as clear as we think they are. Perhaps the hippie jailbait is both a victim and the predator, manipulated by fanatic ideals from a psychopathic cult. Then there is the scene in the car the night of the murders, which can be interpreted as left-wing delusional self-justification for committing heinous acts they think is right, but so obviously flawed and wrong. This also could be an answer to liberal criticism of violence in movies. Do they make people violent or do we use movies as a scapegoat for our own problems? Does art imitate life or influence it?
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #71
Wills2
Barge driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G11 740d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Although I usually don't like it when films are essentially censored because of its content, I think this is for the best. Despite the fact that it still looks like the "elites" are actually the bad guys, this film is being used by the right as scapegoat against the left. Just put it out of it's misery for now.
I watched the trailer and for me it was clearly obvious who the "bad" guys were and it wasn't the poor people being hunted as you say, reminded me very much of The hunger games which is again a good vs evil story just like the thousands of films that have gone before.

What does disturb me is that politics is so polarised that a film whose theme and story we've seen countless times before "good vs evil" has been canned due to political influence, Xi Jinping will no doubt be very impressed.
SoCalS2k274.50

08-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #72
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I watched the trailer and for me it was clearly obvious who the "bad" guys were and it wasn't the poor people being hunted as you say, reminded me very much of The hunger games which is again a good vs evil story just like the thousands of films that have gone before.

What does disturb me is that politics is so polarised that a film whose theme and story we've seen countless times before "good vs evil" has been canned due to political influence, Xi Jinping will no doubt be very impressed.
Nicely said!
jmg7015.00

08-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #73
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
I'm genuinely curious what you all think of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. I've seen it twice already, and I've read how anti-liberal it is. Certainly the rewriting of history by two men from an obsolete era and their confrontation with the "fucking hippies" sends some kind of message about the good old days of male strength and a good ass kicking. It seems the antithesis of Tarantino movies of the past where strong female leads were breaking down the stereotypes of helpless eye candy that needs men to save them (Kill Bill, Jackie Brown, Deathproof). Here the hippie jailbait is the enemy, perhaps an answer to the metoo movement where the lines of who's wrong and who's right aren't as clear as we think they are. Perhaps the hippie jailbait is both a victim and the predator, manipulated by fanatic ideals from a psychopathic cult. Then there is the scene in the car the night of the murders, which can be interpreted as left-wing delusional self-justification for committing heinous acts they think is right, but so obviously flawed and wrong. This also could be an answer to liberal criticism of violence in movies. Do they make people violent or do we use movies as a scapegoat for our own problems? Does art imitate life or influence it?
Might want to start another thread about OUATIH. I love Tarantino's stuff and am looking forward to seeing this movie.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13877.00
jmg7015.00

08-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #74
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Might want to start another thread about OUATIH. I love Tarantino's stuff and am looking forward to seeing this movie.
I got to see it film projected at the New Beverly, Tarantino's own theatre. They put up fictional movie posters that were featured in the film as well as showed an extended TV show within the movie scene and vintage trailers from movies relevant to OUATIH. It was pretty cool to be immersed in the late 60's in the director's own theatre, which also has a cameo in the film, btw.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 3
MKSixer13877.00

08-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #75
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
I got to see it film projected at the New Beverly, Tarantino's own theatre. They put up fictional movie posters that were featured in the film as well as showed an extended TV show within the movie scene and vintage trailers from movies relevant to OUATIH. It was pretty cool to be immersed in the late 60's in the director's own theatre, which also has a cameo in the film, btw.
That's pretty damned cool!
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13877.00

08-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #76
SoCalS2k
Captain
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Although I usually don't like it when films are essentially censored because of its content, I think this is for the best. Despite the fact that it still looks like the "elites" are actually the bad guys, this film is being used by the right as scapegoat against the left. Just put it out of it's misery for now.

Yea and the movie isn't even what these crazy republicans said it was about
Appreciate 0