BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #23
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
let us know how that goes for the whistle. I am one of those people. I did not hear the whistle when it was just part of the clearbra on the mirror. I complained that they didn't cover the whole mirror back and they added another piece. After that I really noticed the whistle. When I just put my hand other the back of the mirror going 120km it stops. So I am still not sure it's caused by a defective mirror or design flaw. Yet to test.

EspressoBoy
My local BMW Service Director is being a PITA. He wants me to remove my clear bra; drive and show him the mirrors still whistle (which of course, they will); then he will order new mirror caps, paint them, and swap them with mine.

They already put on mirror caps from another car (onto my car), and they said the whistling went away.

My Service Manager admits he does not believe the clear bra has any affect or is causing the whistling, but BMW POLICY is that if you make ANY mods to your car, then it voids the warranty for that (modified) item.

So... I may have my clear bra guy come back and professionally remove it. IMO, the mirror swap is NOT a guaranteed solution for eliminating the whistling. I might just fill the groove with some sort of removable tape. If I use silicone, my BMW Service will certainly say I modified my mirrors and will probably void any future warranty claims (even if it's a manufacturer defect or design flaw). What :bs:
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #24
napoletani99
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, Space Grey, Sport

the noise wasn't there until after i put the windows up at speed. i hear it from my sunroof too, which i also closed at over the u.s. legal limits. i live in southern italy, where "cruising" is 90-110 mph. i closed everything at that speed, then noticed the noise. my theory is that the pressure pushed the windows just out of the correct tolerance. they may be within spec, but not the same. stupid me.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #25
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I have the whistle too... but after so many reads, I doubt it is all the same for all of us.

Some it's the mirror alone, some it's windows.

My little test is roll the window down, get the whistle, put your hand over the back of the mirror (while driving) and see if the whistle stops. If so, it's the mirror.

If you have the 2 piece clear bra on the mirror back, try some tape to change the channel gap, and see if it goes away. I have been to busy to fix it... plus it reminds me to slow down a bit...(I know I know)

I don't think removing the clear bra off the front of the car is smart at all. But that's me...plus very $$$$ just find where the noise comes from, and mod it temporary till prove where it comes from.

One guy has it from the bottom of his mirror, and no clear bra... everyone is a bit different.. I know it is from the small gap on my 2 piece clear bra, and my dealer way of fixing it is just remove 1 piece. I didn't pay to have nothing protected... lol

Anyway hope that helps. I find usually KISS (keep it simple silly) works...plus usually the simple answer is usually what solves things...

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #26
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

My whistle is audible from 25-45 MPH, anything after that it's not noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #27
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

There is a service SIB on this. Looks like it was for 08 models. Don't know if it has been extended for 09/10 but sounds like it should be.

SIB51 34 08

SUBJECT
Wind Noise from the B-pillar at High Speeds

MODEL
E82 (1 Series) produced up to 9/2008

SITUATION
At highway speeds, wind noise can be heard from the B-pillar area, where the door glass meets the door seal.

CAUSE
  1. Contour of the door seal
  2. Window glass adjustment
PROCEDURE
  1. Replace the door seal on the affected side of the vehicle. It is not necessary to replace both the left and right seal, unless the customer has referenced wind noise complaints from both sides.
  2. Check the window pretension and adjust the door glass as necessary, per Repair Instruction RA 51 32 154.
NOTE: The following special tools are required to properly adjust the door glass:
  • 51 3 080
  • 51 3 240
  • 51 3 300
  • 51 3 301
  • 51 3 303
  • 51 3 304
PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
51 76 7 164 947
Door seal – Left
1 – if necessary
51 76 7 164 948
Door seal – Right
1 – if necessary
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty
      07-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #28
bmays909
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_T View Post
Lately I found that there is quite a lot of wind noise around side windows at speeds above 110 km/h (65 mph). So I was checking the rubber seal around windows and noticed that the window when closing the door goes directly into a rubber and "deforming or squeezing it". Is this the way it is supposed to be or should it go past the rubber? I'll try to post a pic latter, I don't have a camera with me at work.
Did you ever get this issue solved?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #29
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmays909 View Post
Did you ever get this issue solved?
You must be working from a phone. That post is from 2008!

FWIW I get a slight whistling noise from the right side window at around 65 mph.