BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Emanuscript
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Service engine soon when picking up after turbo work

Hey Guys, looking for advice/any similar experiences you have

A week back, I took my 2008 135i to the dealership as it was having a low tone sounding coming when the car was on low rpm. They identified the issue to be a result of turbo and under the extended warranty replaced the turbos. So far so good. I didn't have to pay.

When taking delivery of the car, I noticed that the 'service engine soon' light was on. Service consultant reset it and told me it should be fine. The light came back when I restarted the car after reaching home.

Back to dealership after a couple of days an they tell me they have to replace an O2 sensor (Bank 1 post Catalytic converter oxygen sensor) and wants me to pay $600 for it. My thought was - the car never threw an error before..shouldn't they be fixing it for me since it happened while the car was with them? Their version is its just a coincidence!!

So there question I have is, during the turbo replacement, which I believe is a big job, are there chances of O2 sensors impacted? In other words, am I right to suspect this definitely is an undesired outcome ( to err is humane, so is it to own it up, I say) Should I be paying for a situation like this?

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

O2 sensors are definitely removed during the replacement of the Turbos. O2 sensors are also easily damaged if mishandled or bumped too hard. I would recommend taking the car back, speaking to a manager and making your case to that person. If that doesn't work then the next step is to go to BMW NA. The hardest thing here is that I'm sure the Service Engine Soon issue at the dealer was most likely not documented. You may have to get the Service Advisor to admit that it indeed come on and that they reset it before you left. This will give you a bit more credibility later. If the service department are honest they will document it this way even if their opinion is that it came on at the dealership as a coincidence, but once you got home is was an issue.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
Emanuscript
Rep

Thanks! Just what I suspected...I did document on email that the light was on when I received the car...I will reach out to BMWNA if they don't fix it..I am still driving the loaner 3 series..plan to return it today and bring home the injured 1
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I would say to just get some sort of manager involved and to listen to why you think it is a consequence of their work. The more people you make think of the steps involved, sooner or later one of those will realize there may definitely be a correlation between the work done and this new fault. BMW NA should be contacted as a last result.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
Emanuscript
Rep

Thanks dtla..they just told me this Morning they replaced the sensor at no cost to me! Below is the email that I think did the trick (specifics removed)..thanks for the advice again, I really appreciate it..

"
<name> - thanks for speaking with me yesterday. I have not heard from your manager on the issue (you had mentioned you will have him / her call me )

I know you mentioned you reviewed this with the management, but I still believe it's not a fair decision and I believe the issue should be addressed by <dealership>

I don't want to drag this out, because I find asking and pleading for something that seems outright fair to most people embarrassing.(I was speaking to a different dealer and they said they would have fixed this no questions asked, give the situation)

I will take my car back and return the loaner once you let me know. I want to also let you know that I plan to escalate this through consumer redressal forums if <dealership> decides not to fix the issue ultimately. And that is only because I think very passionately that what I am asking in this case is most fair and not because I don't have $600 to spend on my favorite car.

Please let me know a final decision.

Sent from my iPhone "
Appreciate 0