BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #23
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
Is Dinan really that foolproof though? I've seen people post where BMW refuses to repair because of a Dinan mod, and Dinan also refuses claiming it's not their problem!
Yea, but that person came back and posted that he was taken care of. If I have an issue I'll keep driving the loaner until they get it sorted out.
      03-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #24
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
They can't just out right void your warranty simply because they see mods on your car. And for the situation involving a lease and voided warranty, they'd probably CPO the car anyway, it's more money in their pocket.
Attached is the CPO checklist. Note the big STOP! sign in Section 1 where it says:

"Vehicles NOT qualified for enrollment or sale as CPO:"
• Inconsistent or incomplete maintenance history
• Non-BMW performance modifications
• Disqualifying CARFAX report

That might be contrary to what you say. Of course there might be a shady dealer out there that will overlook that to CPO but BMW of NA might have something to say about that.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2008_AUG_Vehicle_Inspection_Checklist.pdf (420.6 KB, 91 views)
      03-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #25
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I hear you there.

I am going to go off a tangent here for a second. So when doing a scan with BT what section will these codes appear in? Am I correct to assume it will appear in the engine section? Also, is there a way to scan for codes other than using the "Short test all units" button. The user manual is not very specific from what I see.
You can "short test" all modules, which checks the whole shebang, or you can test individual modules, i.e. engine, stability control etc. The "Engine" module has "Fault codes" and "Shadow fault codes" and both need to be checked...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #26
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco35Dream View Post
You can "short test" all modules, which checks the whole shebang, or you can test individual modules, i.e. engine, stability control etc. The "Engine" module has "Fault codes" and "Shadow fault codes" and both need to be checked...
Thanks. That is what I thought. No codes here.
      03-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #27
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Attached is the CPO checklist. Note the big STOP! sign in Section 1 where it says:

"Vehicles NOT qualified for enrollment or sale as CPO:"
• Inconsistent or incomplete maintenance history
• Non-BMW performance modifications
• Disqualifying CARFAX report

That might be contrary to what you say. Of course there might be a shady dealer out there that will overlook that to CPO but BMW of NA might have something to say about that.
Dealer removes the parts, problem solved, on to CPO. And that's assuming the previous owner left any parts on the car to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #28
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Dealer removes the parts, problem solved, on to CPO. And that's assuming the previous owner left any parts on the car to begin with.
Thanks for the obvious fix. According to their own checklist, that would not be in stride with the CPO program. Please refer to my prior post about "shady dealers". BMW of NA would not put that on the checklist if they just wanted the dealers to remove the parts just to circumvent it.
      03-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #29
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the obvious fix. According to their own checklist, that would not be in stride with the CPO program. Please refer to my prior post about "shady dealers". BMW of NA would not put that on the checklist if they just wanted the dealers to remove the parts just to circumvent it.
BMW of NA would never know, that's my point.

Also why would anyone turn in a leased vehicle with mods on it? Why not sell the mods and make some money back?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #30
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
BMW of NA would never know, that's my point.

Also why would anyone turn in a leased vehicle with mods on it? Why not sell the mods and make some money back?
You have got it all wrong. We are talking about the ECU storing codes which could possibly void the warranty, but will most assuredly cause the car to not to CPOd. If the dealer follows the CPO worksheet (once again see my comment about "shady dealers" in a prior post), which they are instructed to do so directly by BMW of NA, then the car would automatically fail the inspection and not be eligible for CPO status.

Seriously, this is very cut and dry. I even supplied the worksheet for your viewing pleasure.

Cliff Notes: If the dealer follows the rules set forth by BMW on NA, you have codes for powertrain mods in the ECU and the dealer finds them during the CPO inspection, then you will NOT be CPOd.
      03-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #31
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You have got it all wrong. We are talking about the ECU storing codes which could possibly void the warranty, but will most assuredly cause the car to not to CPOd. If the dealer follows the CPO worksheet (once again see my comment about "shady dealers" in a prior post), which they are instructed to do so directly by BMW of NA, then the car would automatically fail the inspection and not be eligible for CPO status.

Seriously, this is very cut and dry. I even supplied the worksheet for your viewing pleasure.

Cliff Notes: If the dealer follows the rules set forth by BMW on NA, you have codes for powertrain mods in the ECU and the dealer finds them during the CPO inspection, then you will NOT be CPOd.
Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

In a perfect world you'd be correct but everything is big business now a days.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
JB2 is definitly not an invisible tune! You should definitly invest in a BT scanner so you can clear those codes yourself before you go in for service next time.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #33
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet that if I traded my car in on an M3 right now, it'd be back on the lot in a week as a CPO, in spite of the fact that they've denied warranty coverage because of a tune.

If I wasn't on the verge of being laid off from work, I'd go down and try it to see
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #34
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

As long as the car is returned to stock and passes the inspection, it will be CPO'ed.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #35
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I thought if those codes were there it was completely out of the tech's control, the computer picks it up and bmw has it
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #36
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Not if the dealer has a BT scanner too. Then he can scan the car....diagnose....repair.....then hookup to the BMW computer to get a clean bill of health.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #37
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

you dont honestly think they will do that do you?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #38
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

i'm not taking any chances, period.
      04-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #39
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

besides, someone correct me if I'm wrong

if you have an engine fail, warranty pays the tech the warranty rate (low)

non warranty replacement pays full rate (quite a bit more)

so the tech's have an incentive for the warranty claims to be denied, almost all auto companies pay lower rates to the techs for warranty work, it's a catch 22 for techs, get more schooling, get shafted into more warranty work

I'm not sure if bmw does this too, but it would be the only one that I know of
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #40
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I respect the tuning crowd, and how infectious a hobby it can become. However, I'll stick with the "not worth it" crowd, at least for the duration of the warranty. From BMW's perspective, it's to their advantage to develop and enforce detection measures. Regardless of BT scanner and code deletion, they'll find another way.

Best of luck and be careful, don't be surprised if you get caught. OP...lucky man, that SA deserves a nice bottle of wine.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #41
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
From BMW's perspective, it's to their advantage to develop and enforce detection measures. Regardless of BT scanner and code deletion, they'll find another way.
I echo the same feeling. They have hundreds of millions in R&D at their disposal. I'm sure they can figure out a way if they havent already. Some dealerships are very relaxed with it. Be careful folks!
      04-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #42
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
JB2 is definitly not an invisible tune! You should definitly invest in a BT scanner so you can clear those codes yourself before you go in for service next time.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #43
davemohan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
I echo the same feeling. They have hundreds of millions in R&D at their disposal. I'm sure they can figure out a way if they havent already. Some dealerships are very relaxed with it. Be careful folks!
All it will take is Write Once memory for "critical codes", if it comes to that, or hasn't already. (Like a DVD-R) At that point, no erasing/clearing. All you can do is open the "tamper proof" box and replace the chip, which will be VIN coded anyway, and possibly have redundancy and/or check digiting. Cheap and easy; no more fraud. I'd be amazed if this isn't at least on the drawing board.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #44
imdanomite
likes boobies ( o )( o )
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

the DME will throw a code stating that the coding of the DME is invalid. it can also throw different CAN bus faults that also communicate with the DME (DSC, EGS, etc. etc.) whether you have DINAN, JB, whatever...it won't necessarily tell us techs that the vehicle has a performance tune, it'll just state that the coding doesn't match OE.
Appreciate 0