BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Scratched glass....

Is there any way to fix relatively deep scratches that grab the fingernail? I don't know how it happened, but the outside of my driver side window is scratched pretty badly in 3 places, that might have happened when some careless person with a ring went over my glass.

Also for those with zero-deductible glass, could you claim scratched glass against your insurance? Considering my 1er is a month old, scratches on the glass that deep just drive me insane! Anyone have any experience with this? I have GEICO.
      04-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

i got a couple scratches but fortunately mines does not fall into the "grab-nail" category, but the are visible.
      04-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Someone would have to press pretty hard to leave a gouge that deep. It must have been vandalism. Check with a glass shop to see if that can be polished out. If it can't - then put a claim in with your insurance company. If they say no - then open the hood with the wipers up - that will do it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Someone would have to press pretty hard to leave a gouge that deep. It must have been vandalism. Check with a glass shop to see if that can be polished out. If it can't - then put a claim in with your insurance company. If they say no - then open the hood with the wipers up - that will do it.
Opening the hood will certainly damage the windshield, but how would it help the OP who has a problem with the "driver's side window"?
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Want a driver's side window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Is there any way to fix relatively deep scratches that grab the fingernail? I don't know how it happened, but the outside of my driver side window is scratched pretty badly in 3 places, that might have happened when some careless person with a ring went over my glass.

Also for those with zero-deductible glass, could you claim scratched glass against your insurance? Considering my 1er is a month old, scratches on the glass that deep just drive me insane! Anyone have any experience with this? I have GEICO.
I have a 'spare' driver's side window. It is my orig. 135i window but had a few hairline (barely noticeable) scratches on the inside. You can't really feel it with your fingernail. I purchased a new window & replaced it. So if you're willing to pay for shipping (FedEx or UPS Ground) and maybe $15 to cover my gas/time to drive over and ship it, let me know. I have it nicely wrapped in paper and a box from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

At first, i thought it could have just been some carelessness by people who passed my car (or maybe even me with my wedding band)... but there are MORE scratches on the outside of the driver side window and I am starting to think it wasn't driver error at all and possibly some defect in the window or mechanism itself. Going to the dealer next Friday to have it looked at... and try to get 33.1 while i'm there!
      04-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
nszzya
Drive Different
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F15 '17 F87

Can you describe the location and direction of the scratches? Any chance they are vertical and parallel?
Appreciate 0