BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
nszzya
Drive Different
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F15 '17 F87

Will Dealer Cover Re-Tinting After Warranty Window Replacement?

I had window tinting done yesterday (Omega Tintwerks in Pleasanton CA). Vincent pointed out that something inside the driver side door was etching the outside of the window in a vertical direction. I'm going to bring it to the dealer for warranty consideration and I am assuming it will be covered. My question is: Should/would the dealer be responsible for the cost of re-tinting the window? If anyone has been in a similar situation, how was it handled?

Last edited by nszzya; 04-12-2009 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling Error
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

My guess is that the dealer would only be obligated to restore the part to original condition. Any add ons are the responsibility of the owner. How deep in the etching? It might be able to be polished out once they fix whatever is causing it to happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
I had window tinting done yesterday (Omega Tintwerks in Pleasanton CA). Vincent pointed out that something inside the driver side door was etching the outside of the window in a vertical direction. I'm going to bring it to the dealer for warranty consideration am I am assuming it will be covered. My question is: Should/would the dealer be responsible for the cost of re-tinting the window? If anyone has been in a similar situation, how was it handled?
Hmmm ... You sure it wasn't the tinting place that did this? (I'm sure it wasn't) but my buddy went to a very reputtable installer and when we were leaving it as his passenger side where there was definite etching on the interior of the window. We didn't think it could be the tinting place since they only tinted the exterior but its because they had to remove portions of the interior and bent something out of shape (ACCIDENTALLY). BMW replaced the window but pointed out to my friend that there were components that was tampered and bent within the door causing this.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

I'm going to say with 95% confidence the dealer will say the tint shop did it
      04-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
nszzya
Drive Different
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_135i View Post
Hmmm ... You sure it wasn't the tinting place that did this? (I'm sure it wasn't) but my buddy went to a very reputtable installer and when we were leaving it as his passenger side where there was definite etching on the interior of the window. We didn't think it could be the tinting place since they only tinted the exterior but its because they had to remove portions of the interior and bent something out of shape (ACCIDENTALLY). BMW replaced the window but pointed out to my friend that there were components that was tampered and bent within the door causing this.
Does tinting typically involve the door internals?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
my tint shop scratched the piece of rear glass, i just covered it up fairly well with a 1addicts.com sticker.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
nszzya
Drive Different
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
My guess is that the dealer would only be obligated to restore the part to original condition. Any add ons are the responsibility of the owner. How deep in the etching? It might be able to be polished out once they fix whatever is causing it to happen.
Valid point although I could see it argued from the other side. For example: a defective trailer hitch causes loss of a bicycle. Fortunately, the expense of re-tinting is not great.

The scratches are deep enough to be felt with a fingernail.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Does tinting typically involve the door internals?
depends on the tint shop. Based on exp. lots of vendors open the internal component and remove the rubber strip. They did it for my friend. I noticed the scratch when we were picking up his 1er. They claim it wasnt them but I KNOW it was. They promise to re tint and even pay for the window if BMW didnt cover it under the warranty. However, BMW did, but we made them drive from LA to San Diego to re-tint the door. THe guy who did the tinting was NOT one of his coons. This guy "Andres" was good! Fool was in competition tinting. Anyways, long story short, he tinted without REMOVING the internal components. Which makes me think that the original guy (owners) and the rookies aka coons arent used to doing the 1ers...

Quote:
Valid point although I could see it argued from the other side. For example: a defective trailer hitch causes loss of a bicycle. Fortunately, the expense of re-tinting is not great.

The scratches are deep enough to be felt with a fingernail.
That is exactly what happened to my friend. It makes a scratching noise when the window is going up. TAKE IT BACK AND TELL THEM THAT IT WASNT THERE BEFORE, PERIOD.
Appreciate 0