BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #45
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Here in Iowa they call pond beach
kiddie pool = beach
      07-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #46
N54Yankee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Last week we went out shark fishing. Only 3 miles offshore in 120’ of water set the chum bag and dropped some nice hooked bluefish filets into the slick and just over a half hour later one of the lines takes off. We had 3 of the young guys including one who was home on leave from the Army with us who have never sharked before. Gave the young soldier the rod and he fought the fish. Stuck a gaff in it pretty quick as it wasn’t a large fish but just over the legal limit here and about 90lbs or so. His first shark and it was a thresher. It didn’t give us a jumping show that many threshers like to do but they pull hard and are awesome creatures. The next night we had a late 4th of July/ birthday party for him a the thresher was on the BBQ and was a huge hit.
All fishing is fun but big game fishing is it, for me. When one of those 30w or 50w International goes off you don’t know what picked up bait/lure but you know it’s going to really be a battle. That’s just one of the reason I like the Salt.
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go1824.50
Rmtt1090.00

07-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #47
Germanauto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Meh. I've been all up and down the eastern shores of this country and even spent a few months in SoCal.

When you can't see land on the other side of the lake, the impression is very much the same between ocean and lake, minus the surf activity.

A picture from the shore in Grand Haven or Saugatuck in MI could just as easily be a pic from the outer banks in NC.

YMMV
Just a couple months ago I spent a few days with my friends in the Traverse City area. It was such a fun trip. So much natural beauty, especially the Dunes and even small lakes like Leelanau. We had a boat too. TC's nightlife was fun, and can't forget the twisty roads.

Northern MI is a treat most people don't know about.
Teeone147.00

07-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #48
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Just a couple months ago I spent a few days with my friends in the Traverse City area. It was such a fun trip. So much natural beauty, especially the Dunes and even small lakes like Leelanau. We had a boat too. TC's nightlife was fun, and can't forget the twisty roads.

Indeed it is. Fucking miserable in the winter (IMO), but can certainly be breathtaking when the weather is nice.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #49
cmyx6go
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6 ///M

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Last week we went out shark fishing. Only 3 miles offshore in 120í of water set the chum bag and dropped some nice hooked bluefish filets into the slick and just over a half hour later one of the lines takes off. We had 3 of the young guys including one who was home on leave from the Army with us who have never sharked before. Gave the young soldier the rod and he fought the fish. Stuck a gaff in it pretty quick as it wasnít a large fish but just over the legal limit here and about 90lbs or so. His first shark and it was a thresher. It didnít give us a jumping show that many threshers like to do but they pull hard and are awesome creatures. The next night we had a late 4th of July/ birthday party for him a the thresher was on the BBQ and was a huge hit.
All fishing is fun but big game fishing is it, for me. When one of those 30w or 50w International goes off you donít know what picked up bait/lure but you know itís going to really be a battle. Thatís just one of the reason I like the Salt.
Love salt water fishing. I haven't been out in way too long. I caught a 4' shark by accident a few years ago off Point Pleasant NJ, eerily close to shore. We weren't out for shark and the guy who took us out wasn't prepared for shark. We were able to release him unharmed.

I love fishing down in FL. Grouper, snapper, Dolphin - You never know what you're going to get. I caught a 30# bull dolphin. They are so beautiful coming out of the water before all the colors fade. Good eating too.

07-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #50
Fakemike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
We just got back from our vacation in Riviera Maya, Mexico

Here is a picture from our favorite cabana/bali bed. We spent a lot time there in the last week

And here is the Mayan ruins at Tulum on the beach

And yes, I live in Florida and still fly to the beaches in other countries
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #51
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Rep

Planning the Keys trip.

Key's visitors, suggestions?

I have been before visited Key West, bunch of beaches, the "locals secret" boat party island, etc.
      07-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #52
N54Yankee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Love salt water fishing. I haven't been out in way too long. I caught a 4' shark by accident a few years ago off Point Pleasant NJ, eerily close to shore. We weren't out for shark and the guy who took us out wasn't prepared for shark. We were able to release him unharmed.

I love fishing down in FL. Grouper, snapper, Dolphin - You never know what you're going to get. I caught a 30# bull dolphin. They are so beautiful coming out of the water before all the colors fade. Good eating too.
Catching a shark for the first time is a real thrill. I remember my first real shark( not counting dogfish) like it was yesterday. I was a 6’-7’ blue shark. I was a teen and it was a battle. It was right after JAWS came out and I felt like Quint.

Mentioned it in another thread, but most times we vacation one of the first things we book is a charter, offshore usually. Last time was Cabo where I finally got my blue marlin.
Dolphin is on my go to list. We catch them here in LI in the summer when the Gulf Stream eddies push west within easy range of boats. Sometimes they can be caught only a few miles off the beach. I always bring a spinning rod for dolphin in case we see something floating on the surface because there’s often dolphin under it. We didn’t have time to search for them this past trip unfortunately.
They are a blast to catch on light tackle and the acrobatics they do is impressive.
The neon blue, green, gold of their skin when “lit up” can only be appreciated seeing it live, tv just doesn’t cut it. A 30lb bull is really something, I’ve never caught one that large. Kudos on your real trophy fish.
Catch em up!
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 07-16-2019 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go1824.50

07-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #53
Germanauto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Indeed it is. Fucking miserable in the winter (IMO), but can certainly be breathtaking when the weather is nice.

Michigan weather is pretty terrible as a whole. Aside from May - Oct it's always gloomy and cold. Oct is cold too but at least it's gorgeous out with all the colors. Even in the summer months it rains all the time.

I couldn't take it and moved away, but I'll always enjoy the time I spent there. Metro Detroit has some fun spots.
      07-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #54
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Catching a shark for the first time is a real thrill. I remember my first real shark( not counting dogfish) like it was yesterday. I was a 6í-7í blue shark. I was a teen and it was a battle. It was right after JAWS came out and I felt like Quint.

Mentioned it in another thread, but most times we vacation one of the first things we book is a charter, offshore usually. Last time was Cabo where I finally got my blue marlin.
Dolphin is on my go to list. We catch them here in LI in the summer when the Gulf Stream eddies push west within easy range of boats. Sometimes they can be caught only a few miles off the beach. I always bring a spinning rod for dolphin in case we see something floating on the surface because thereís often dolphin under it. We didnít have time to search for them this past trip unfortunately.
They are a blast to catch on light tackle and the acrobatics they do is impressive.
The neon blue, green, gold of their skin when ďlit upĒ can only be appreciated seeing it live, tv just doesnít cut it. A 30lb bull is really something, Iíve never caught one that large. Kudos on your real trophy fish.
Catch em up!
The shark was the biggest fish I ever caught. I've been out many times for big game but came up empty handed.

I gave my now ex a trip to Venezuela for his 40th birthday and he got a Sail fish, but that was a boys trip.

I think Dolphin are the most fun the catch. It's so counter intuitive though. When you hook the first one, you don't reel him in. You just let him swim around a bit and the rest of the school follows. When you hit them, it's a great day.
      07-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #55
N54Yankee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
The shark was the biggest fish I ever caught. I've been out many times for big game but came up empty handed.

I gave my now ex a trip to Venezuela for his 40th birthday and he got a Sail fish, but that was a boys trip.

I think Dolphin are the most fun the catch. It's so counter intuitive though. When you hook the first one, you don't reel him in. You just let him swim around a bit and the rest of the school follows. When you hit them, it's a great day.
You know your fishing. Most novice fishermen just don’t understand leaving one in the water, they just gotta gaff it and into the box. Like you said you can clean out a whole small school pretty quickly. We’ll just take some for the table then catch and release or head for bigger game.

If you haven’t been to Cabo you gotta check it out for fishing. It was our first time there and the place is Mecca for the sport.
There are hundreds of boats there and they all work hard and prices are less expensive then US boats. On our trip we caught about 15 or so YFT in the 15-20lb class within an hour of leaving port, along with bonito and dolphin then hooked a blue marlin estimated by the captain and mate at about 600lb but spit the live bonito bait and about an hour later hooked the 240lber. Our room was right on the waterway leading back to the dock and just about every boat was flying multiple tuna and marlin flags. Next up for me down there is Rooster fish along with another marlin trip.
Now planning a trip for the wife. She wants sailfish. Looks like we’ll head to east coast of Florida for that one.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go1824.50

07-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #56
LecrameMark
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e93 2013

Have anybody been in Greece, Thasos? I want to go with my family over there, but i am looking for some reviews about it.
I want to know How are the Roads, because we want to go by the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #57
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive and BMW X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Planning the Keys trip.

Key's visitors, suggestions?

I have been before visited Key West, bunch of beaches, the "locals secret" boat party island, etc.
As for Key West, take a jet ski tour around the island. You can also rent of boat if you want to. Street performers on Mallory Square before sunset,then watching the sunset from somewhere along that side of the island (most people watch if from near the square, but you can find other places). The Duval Crawl of course. Dante's is a good time for a fun pool and tiki bar that has a D J at times . We normally go in late Feb or early March and stop by Stock Island at get some Stone Crab from the fish market and bring it back to the condo to enjoy cold with some melted butter .

As for the rest of the Keys, we don't spend much time at other places other than maybe taking a drive up to Bahia Honda Key or to just take in the beauty of the keys by venturing off US 1 a bit (you can't go too far, LOL).
      07-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #58
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Michigan weather is pretty terrible as a whole. Aside from May - Oct it's always gloomy and cold. Oct is cold too but at least it's gorgeous out with all the colors. Even in the summer months it rains all the time.

I couldn't take it and moved away, but I'll always enjoy the time I spent there. Metro Detroit has some fun spots.
Yep, I grew up in mid-Michigan and lived here until 2007. Moved to Charlotte, NC for 12 years and just moved back this year. Your characterization isn't wrong, but it will always be "home" for me.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto3115.00

07-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #59
bucketfoot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xDrive

Atrani Beach (Amalfi Coast) from our trip last month
Attached Images

07-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #60
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

N54Yankee cmyx6go come on over to the Sport Fishing thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349948

Rooster is on my list for the next time we head south of the border. When I go to St John next month, Id love to try and fly a tarpon!
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee1187.00

07-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #61
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
N54Yankee cmyx6go come on over to the Sport Fishing thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349948

Rooster is on my list for the next time we head south of the border. When I go to St John next month, Id love to try and fly a tarpon!
I didn't know we had a sport fishing thread. I've never fly fished. I guess it's all in the wrist. My cousin down in FL does a lot of tarpon fishing, snook too.

Where's Joekerr I want him to see that in addition to mad driving skills I have mad fishing skills. And yes, I bait my own hooks and reel them in myself. Just don't ask me to filet my own catch. I will cook them too though.
      07-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #62
bucketfoot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xDrive

A couple more, these are from Metaponto
Attached Images

07-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #63
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Atrani Beach (Amalfi Coast) from our trip last month
beautiful
      07-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #64
Teeone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:

I grew up in Traverse City. Grandparents were all cherry farmers in the lake leelanau area. After college I moved to Detroit to work for Ford. Love TC, but we donít go up there in The summer months too much due to the crowds. Go often in the spring and fall and winter. My mom still lives up there so we have a great place to stay.
Appreciate 2
      07-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #65
Germanauto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I grew up in mid-Michigan and lived here until 2007. Moved to Charlotte, NC for 12 years and just moved back this year. Your characterization isn't wrong, but it will always be "home" for me.
I feel similarly. I'll always find my way back for something, whether it be sports or all the car festivities in the summer especially with the auto show being moved to those months. Saturday mornings at M1 Concourse and summer evenings on Woodward are a thing of beauty.
      07-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #66
Germanauto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeone View Post
I grew up in Traverse City. Grandparents were all cherry farmers in the lake leelanau area. After college I moved to Detroit to work for Ford. Love TC, but we donít go up there in The summer months too much due to the crowds. Go often in the spring and fall and winter. My mom still lives up there so we have a great place to stay.
I went during the off-season, late April, so it was the perfect time to avoid the crowds and exploit all those winding roads. Only downside is that the trees were still dead so it wasn't as beautiful as I knew it really is. Perfect sunny weather and 75 every day, so couldn't complain. Moomers was the icing on the cake.

I can only imagine it in the Autumn.