BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #1167
135BANDIT
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 BMT & X5 Msport

Are those wheels available in the aftermarket for the 135 ??????

JD
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #1168
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

the reviews so far have been staggering, now i am really hoping i get a May/June build
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #1169
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Brown View Post
From an engineering perspective there is no chance that the 135i that I currently own will hold a candle to the 1M that will arrive in June. On looking at the overall spec of the 1M the added value items, when compared to my 135i are staggering. I am at a loss to understand how the 1M can be anything other than a lost leader for other BMW models. The M3 running gear front and back, the limited slip diff, the hefty dual plate clutch, the larger than life brakes, the wider wheelbase, the 19 inch wheels, the retuned exhaust, upgraded springs and dampers and the list goes on. There is no way that this splendid list of engineering loveliness could be added to the 135i for the current price differential which is really very small....and I haven't even mentioned the mods to the engine and interior. Best of luck with the 135i and attempts to make it into an M1 but it's probably not economically possible. I am absolutely convinced the M1 is a bargain when compared to anything else on the market and when it is seriously compared to competitors cars the BMW M1 will outshine its peers. BMW do this on purpose. They love to develop a few really good cars that appeal to the "enthusiasts" and market them hard and sell them way below cost. The glory then rubs off on the 318i owners whose cars don't look much different.....but they sell thousands of 318i's on the back of a BMW image built on the back of the M3 and now the M1.
I agree the 1M is a much better package out of the box and it's no comparison to a stock 135i. However, some of the more hardcore enthusiasts would look to change out a lot of the things the 1M gives you over the 135i anyway. For instance, the quad exhaust, the wheels, the springs and dampers, even tyres etc. Yes, it's a better base to start with and many would argue there is really no need to change anything but many of us who use these forums fit into the category of enthusiasts that like to mod their cars, although I've noticed a few like to keep it completely stock. If you check out the M3 forum there are some modded M3's that have upgraded most of the components you speak of.

In terms of straight line speed, I see the potential as being the same. Of course, the 1M has an advantage with the LSD in putting the power down though. But I also think the N54 steptronic guys will run consistently faster times unless your a really good stick shifter. At the end of the day, the biggest differences are the aesthetics and the suspension setup, otherwise the cars are basically the same.

The 1M will hold it's value better but that's not what buying a car is about. Besides modded cars will hold more sentimental value to the owner anyway. I really hope some of you guys mod the crap out of your 1M's
+1 (particularly about modded cars and sentimental value)

Steve don't take this (too?) personally, but you almost came across as trying to convince yourself a bit here. Now I'm not an engineer so I can't comment on things from an engineering perspective, and I'm sure the "M car with the long name" owners will be mighty chuffed with their ride, but the "hold a candle" comment is a smells like a wee bit of as do the comments about making 135i's into 1M's.

I want to be clear this isn't about picking fights but I can see a bit of a pissing content happening and wanted to head it off a bit. I don't think me driving a 135i or a 1M or an M3 for that matter will make me a better driver.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #1170
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
+1 (particularly about modded cars and sentimental value)

I want to be clear this isn't about picking fights but I can see a bit of a pissing content happening and wanted to head it off a bit. I don't think me driving a 135i or a 1M or an M3 for that matter will make me a better driver.

+1. Just so that it doesn't escalate - I for one am not pissing on anyone. Just want to add a perspective that may not have been appreciated. I have felt a special relationship with modded or restored cars or bikes, especially if I've delved into it's inner workings. Nothing like fondling a big end to get to know each other.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #1171
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I'm with Steve Brown in that the 135i isn't comparable to the 1M and that the 1M is great value when you take into consideration the difference to a 135i. Some of the old timers here would know that I had spent co siderable time and money to make my 135i in many ways comparable to a 1M. Like 1M, it had wider track, bigger brakes, more power, LSD, better cooling etc. With all those mods in place, it's a different car. Much much faster on the track and around the corners! However, 1M with the more direct steering ratio is a better starting point. Let the mods begin (err, maybe not by me this time).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #1172
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I'm with Steve Brown in that the 135i isn't comparable to the 1M and that the 1M is great value when you take into consideration the difference to a 135i. Some of the old timers here would know that I had spent co siderable time and money to make my 135i in many ways comparable to a 1M. Like 1M, it had wider track, bigger brakes, more power, LSD, better cooling etc. With all those mods in place, it's a different car. Much much faster on the track and around the corners! However, 1M with the more direct steering ratio is a better starting point. Let the mods begin (err, maybe not by me this time).
Have to agree with you 100% here Wayne ( and Gazz and Steve Brown ), as "one of the old timers" that followed your 135 modding project back in '08..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #1173
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Way, I hope you go all out on the 1M like you did with your 135i. You turned that 135i into a beast. You'll have a lot more options for mods this time round too.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #1174
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

If you can take it apart ... you can make it faster!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #1175
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Lol Kenny. Too true!

Can someone tell me first 10 or so letters and numbers of our VIN? I have my last 5 digits! Yay! Not sure if built or not yet though. Anyway, it's VP75574 per BMW's system. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #1176
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

WBSUR920...( Check digit varies )..0VP75574.

Eg. Mine is WBSUR92010VP75444.

I've tried to find out how to interpret the VIN code but the information varies all over the place. Think this is how it goes -

WBS is BMW motorsport, i.e. M.
UR92 is vehicle description.
0 is restraint system.
Check digit
0 is model year
V is plant of manufacture, i.e. Liepzig.
P..... is production number.

Not sure exactly what 1Ms model designation is. E something?
Engine is N54?

Can anyone enlarge on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #1177
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Just got an email from the dealer (see below). The number he's advised me of, is completely different to the VP numbers you guys have been getting. Does this seem legit or ...???

"My name is Keith Bird and I am the Sales Manager here at Dwyers. Garry is no longer with us and I would like to introduce myself as I will now be your point of contact here at Dwyers. Your car has been ordered and we have a PC number for the car. This is the number that we use until a chassis number is assigned later. This will probably happen in the next couple of weeks. The PC number is 4971680. I have no delivery date at this point, but expect the car in July at this stage."
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #1178
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

I think the 1M is going to be a cracker of a car and BMW have done a great job making this little beast into a sportscar, especially around a track. In saying this I am extremely happy with my modded 135 and know if a 1M pulls up at the lights next to me later this year it'll enjoy seeing my rear end.

I would probably buy a 2009 Nissan GTR for $115-$120k over the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #1179
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
just in time for some expensive servicing, stuff that

i think if i was to be spending north of 100k on a car that wasnt the 1M or M3 it would be something stupidly obnoxious imported from the states (but thats just me)

or this http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/obj...nkode=27720635
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #1180
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I think the 1M is going to be a cracker of a car and BMW have done a great job making this little beast into a sportscar, especially around a track. In saying this I am extremely happy with my modded 135 and know if a 1M pulls up at the lights next to me later this year it'll enjoy seeing my rear end.

I think anyone planning to keep their 1M stock will get beaten in a straight line by most members on this forum.

I'm also interested to see how a 135i with mild suspension mods stacks up against 1M on the track. I know the 1M is much better track car but I'm curious to see how many people can reach it's potential. The biggest mod is ultimately the driver. My 135i with its current suspension/tyre setup feels sensation in the bends, all it's lacking is an LSD but that's just around the corner. I'm still far from reaching the potential in my own car, need practice, training and more experience!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #1181
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I think anyone planning to keep their 1M stock will get beaten in a straight line by most members on this forum.

I'm also interested to see how a 135i with mild suspension mods stacks up against 1M on the track. I know the 1M is much better track car but I'm curious to see how many people can reach it's potential. The biggest mod is ultimately the driver. My 135i with its current suspension/tyre setup feels sensation in the bends, all it's lacking is an LSD but that's just around the corner. I'm still far from reaching the potential in my own car, need practice, training and more experience!
+1. I would like to see the stig compare a 1M track time to a lightly modded 135i with suspension goodies. Even just a tune such as JB4 or Procede but more concentration on Coilovers, Sway bars, bracing and tyres.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #1182
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep

Quote:
+1. I would like to see the stig compare a 1M track time to a lightly modded 135i with suspension goodies. Even just a tune such as JB4 or Procede but more concentration on Coilovers, Sway bars, bracing and tyres.
have they even tracked a 135 on TG??

just looked, they havent.. 130i did a 1:31.9 137th overall
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #1183
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Just got an email from the dealer (see below). The number he's advised me of, is completely different to the VP numbers you guys have been getting. Does this seem legit or ...???

"My name is Keith Bird and I am the Sales Manager here at Dwyers. Garry is no longer with us and I would like to introduce myself as I will now be your point of contact here at Dwyers. Your car has been ordered and we have a PC number for the car. This is the number that we use until a chassis number is assigned later. This will probably happen in the next couple of weeks. The PC number is 4971680. I have no delivery date at this point, but expect the car in July at this stage."
The VP number is the VIN, or the last few digits of the VIN. Yours is the production number I believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #1184
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but who buys a 1M to do straight line drags? I will take you on at the track, my stock 1M versus your modded 135i. Only way to find out the truth of whether 1M is as good as a modded 135i. In fact, I don't even have to do that as I know what sort of times my 135i can do at various points of mods at my local track.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #1185
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but who buys a 1M to do straight line drags? I will take you on at the track, my stock 1M versus your modded 135i. Only way to find out the truth of whether 1M is as good as a modded 135i. In fact, I don't even have to do that as I know what sort of times my 135i can do at various points of mods at my local track.
in my book real world performance is all that matters, so if he beats you from the lights you lose
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #1186
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
in my book real world performance is all that matters, so if he beats you from the lights you lose
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #1187
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Give me about 6 months and I'll meet you at any track with my R35 GTR. Hopefully you'll have modded your 1M by then cause it'll sure need it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #1188
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Way, you'll be able to give us a really good insight on the 2 cars as you had a fully modified 135i. I really like what you had done with the suspension, brakes and widebody on that car. Very nice. However, I have raced your old 135i at the drags and it's never beaten me in a straight line, and it's tune + FBO and I had no bolt ons at all. I think at the time when you modified your 135i you were limited to choice of mods but I think the biggest handicap for that car was the Active Autowerke piggyback tune. We were neck and neck and to my surprise I was able to just beat it every time. I'm sure the same car with a JB3/Procede would be a monster. However, Adrian is getting the RB turbo soon anyway so we'll see some big numbers from that car, around 450-500whp!
Appreciate 0