BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #45
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
I was having power cut issues with no codes as well, and have had it come on during several 20 min PDX sessions. After it kicked on in the 1st session at my last track day I broke 1 marker earlier for the next 2 and the car did not shut down (TC stuff was fully off). No ABS... No limp mode.

I am still looking for someone in the chicago area that can code out nannies if anyone knows a guy/girl that can do it.
I'm going to do mine before I hit the track in two weeks. More than willing to help you out if you would like. You would have to make a small trip to Milwaukee though.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #46
jvb6806
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
I was having power cut issues with no codes as well, and have had it come on during several 20 min PDX sessions. After it kicked on in the 1st session at my last track day I broke 1 marker earlier for the next 2 and the car did not shut down (TC stuff was fully off). No ABS... No limp mode.

I am still looking for someone in the chicago area that can code out nannies if anyone knows a guy/girl that can do it.
I'm going to do mine before I hit the track in two weeks. More than willing to help you out if you would like. You would have to make a small trip to Milwaukee though.
I love that town! I'll hit up the brass rooster while I'm there! I'll send you a PM.
      08-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #47
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Is anyone running an upgraded oil cooler? From my research and same issues running at Njmp Lightning/thunderbolt its all from high oil Temps and running in a higher gear and shifting at 5500 resolves the issue. Very annoying bc you can't derive the full potential of the car drives me nuts. I haven't run logs yet but once past 250 is where issues occur, shutting down on track is not ideal
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #48
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post
Is anyone running an upgraded oil cooler? From my research and same issues running at Njmp Lightning/thunderbolt its all from high oil Temps and running in a higher gear and shifting at 5500 resolves the issue. Very annoying bc you can't derive the full potential of the car drives me nuts. I haven't run logs yet but once past 250 is where issues occur, shutting down on track is not ideal
I would have to double check the oem binary but the ecu doesn't start doing anything about oil temps until way way past 250*C. I think it's around 280-290 IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #49
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post
I would have to double check the oem binary but the ecu doesn't start doing anything about oil temps until way way past 250*C. I think it's around 280-290 IIRC.
You are prob right, unfortunately I can't operate my obd reader and record oil temps. :

My assumption based on I was able to shut the car down mid session on lighting bc oil Temps were def above 250, but I never took time see how high it went, too focused on driving like a mad man for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #50
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Not that there is any black magic going on but y'all should see how the F8x S55 cooling system works. One traditional water pump, driven by its OWN separate accessory belt. One electric water pump, that is manipulated via driving mode on top of driving behavior. Their oil cooler is also like 3x the size of ours. Track oil temps on their cars literally get to 210F and go nowhere, apparently.

With the redundancy going on there I'd believe there's an aerospace engineer at BMW M except they put the oil cooler under the radiator and is often punctured.

Anyone closer to results with a big OC and modified cooling tables?
      06-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #51
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Dredging up this thread with an update:

Ran at Watkins Glen on a warm-ish day (high 70s) and had two (out of four) sessions cut by power loss, both times in the exact same area, Turn 6, after about 20min of driving. Managed to slowly get back to the pits, cool down and go back out, but having the power just disappear like that was quite disconcerting.

I had coded the "engine power reduction to prevent brake overheating" feature out myself the week prior, so it didn't seem like that was the issue. I double-checked and verified this when I got home from the track the first night.

Removed my AA tune and went back to stock, and did not have any problems the following day despite running faster laps. Spoke to people at the repair shop at the track about this, and their conclusion was the same, that the engine probably got hot and started pulling timing and the tune was not helping the situaiton. Will hopefully get a revised tune and test it out at Watkins again in Sept.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #52
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Dredging up this thread with an update:

Ran at Watkins Glen on a warm-ish day (high 70s) and had two (out of four) sessions cut by power loss, both times in the exact same area, Turn 6, after about 20min of driving. Managed to slowly get back to the pits, cool down and go back out, but having the power just disappear like that was quite disconcerting.

I had coded the "engine power reduction to prevent brake overheating" feature out myself the week prior, so it didn't seem like that was the issue. I double-checked and verified this when I got home from the track the first night.

Removed my AA tune and went back to stock, and did not have any problems the following day despite running faster laps. Spoke to people at the repair shop at the track about this, and their conclusion was the same, that the engine probably got hot and started pulling timing and the tune was not helping the situaiton. Will hopefully get a revised tune and test it out at Watkins again in Sept.
High coolant temps = knock/timing corrections = loss of power
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #53
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

This probably got mentioned somewhere in this thread, but before hitting the track, I turn on my heater at its highest setting, with all vents closed except for side vents pointed at the opened windows. This helps reduce coolant temperature by a notch, and may help to keep you out of limp mode.

This in addition to the BMS oil bypass thermostat, has worked for me...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #54
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Just a note to other N51/N52 guys, you can fit an oil filter housing from an N52 from an X-model car, or from an N20 car (dime-a-dozen today), it has a water-oil heat exchanger that really helps keep oil temps stable and low on track, and warm up faster in winter. I recently tracked my car on 2x 90-ish degree days, and oil temps never crested 240, and there was never a limp mode code. I was pushing the thing, too (6.8k shifting), all with 175k miles on the clock
      07-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #55
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Just a note to other N51/N52 guys, you can fit an oil filter housing from an N52 from an X-model car, or from an N20 car (dime-a-dozen today), it has a water-oil heat exchanger that really helps keep oil temps stable and low on track, and warm up faster in winter. I recently tracked my car on 2x 90-ish degree days, and oil temps never crested 240, and there was never a limp mode code. I was pushing the thing, too (6.8k shifting), all with 175k miles on the clock
Is there a chance you have a photo of this? Very interested, but can't seem to find any good images of the parts involved.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #56
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Is there a chance you have a photo of this? Very interested, but can't seem to find any good images of the parts involved.
Those are the two best pictures. I can get all of the part numbers if you need, but a Google search for N52 Oil Cooler retrofit will yield a few results.
Attached Images

07-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #57
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

Awesome! Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #58
bellabmw93
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

When y'all are loosing power is it a consistent loss of power, or does it happen sporadicly? And are any warning lights showing up on the dash? The last three times I've been at the track I'm experiencing a sudden loss of power either coming out of a turn or after I have shifted in a straight away. It lasts for about three seconds or so then all the power is back. The car feels as if its gone into limp mode for a few seconds but no lights come on the dash. The problem has been progressively getting worst, but it has also been significantly hotter outside. So I'm wondering if its some sort of fail safe due to higher than normal oil temperatures or if I'm dealing with some other issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #59
drunkenup
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabmw93 View Post
When y'all are loosing power is it a consistent loss of power, or does it happen sporadicly? And are any warning lights showing up on the dash? The last three times I've been at the track I'm experiencing a sudden loss of power either coming out of a turn or after I have shifted in a straight away. It lasts for about three seconds or so then all the power is back. The car feels as if its gone into limp mode for a few seconds but no lights come on the dash. The problem has been progressively getting worst, but it has also been significantly hotter outside. So I'm wondering if its some sort of fail safe due to higher than normal oil temperatures or if I'm dealing with some other issue.
I've experienced the car falling on its face after a shift, and then shortly afterward if you keep pushing you will lose all power. I've only had that on a 95 degree day, no traffic, 9/10ths driving, oil temp probably close to 300f. I hardly get a traffic free session so I've only experienced full loss once.
      07-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #60
bellabmw93
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
I've experienced the car falling on its face after a shift, and then shortly afterward if you keep pushing you will lose all power. I've only had that on a 95 degree day, no traffic, 9/10ths driving, oil temp probably close to 300f. I hardly get a traffic free session so I've only experienced full loss once.
Thats exactly whats happening to me. Do any lights come on the dash when it happens to you? This past Saturday I was at Eagles Canyon Raceway and it was probably the worst I've had it happen, but it was also 110 degrees outside. I also noticed my oil temperature was close to 300f coming off track as well.

I used to think this was happening because I don't have a LSD because it also happens coming out of turns. But now that its getting worst as its getting hotter outside I'm thinking its temperature related.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #61
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabmw93 View Post
Thats exactly whats happening to me. Do any lights come on the dash when it happens to you? This past Saturday I was at Eagles Canyon Raceway and it was probably the worst I've had it happen, but it was also 110 degrees outside. I also noticed my oil temperature was close to 300f coming off track as well.

I used to think this was happening because I don't have a LSD because it also happens coming out of turns. But now that its getting worst as its getting hotter outside I'm thinking its temperature related.
Happens to me too and I know it's not from oil or water temps. In your case, it very well could be.. 300* is HOT.

I've managed to et my oil temps never exceeding 255* and keeping coolant temps under 210*.

IAT's on the other hand, I believe, are an issue. I'm guessing there is a failsafe in there for high IATs. With two tiny turbos and hot track days, temps are likely going over 140*. Sometimes I'll shift and it just bogs down, almost no boost. It'll stay that way for a few. I can cool down for a few turns, hit it again, boost is back, but shortly after it'll die down again. This often happens with no codes at all.

Either meth injection to cool intake air temps, an IC sprayer, coding out whatever this possible failsafe is, or upgrading to a small single turbo that generates WAY less heat than the stock twins.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #62
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
IAT's on the other hand, I believe, are an issue. I'm guessing there is a failsafe in there for high IATs. With two tiny turbos and hot track days, temps are likely going over 140*. Sometimes I'll shift and it just bogs down, almost no boost. It'll stay that way for a few. I can cool down for a few turns, hit it again, boost is back, but shortly after it'll die down again. This often happens with no codes at all.

Either meth injection to cool intake air temps, an IC sprayer, coding out whatever this possible failsafe is, or upgrading to a small single turbo that generates WAY less heat than the stock twins.
Last track day I noticed power loss too. I checked logs later and say 170f+ IATs. DME table is set to reduce timing pretty aggressively at that point. You will feel a several degree timing difference easily.

Post shift bog could also be some of the issue. If rpms rise while switching UP gears (you didn't lift all the way off the gas) then requested torque flat-lines post shift. A tuning solution is supposedly in the works for that specific shift bog. With a lightweight flywheel I find this happens very frequently/easily when I try to shift fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #63
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Last track day I noticed power loss too. I checked logs later and say 170f+ IATs. DME table is set to reduce timing pretty aggressively at that point. You will feel a several degree timing difference easily.

Post shift bog could also be some of the issue. If rpms rise while switching UP gears (you didn't lift all the way off the gas) then requested torque flat-lines post shift. A tuning solution is supposedly in the works for that specific shift bog. With a lightweight flywheel I find this happens very frequently/easily when I try to shift fast.
I'd be really curious to know IATs of an NA car, like an E46 or E92, by comparison. Doubly curious of a properly built single, pushing 450-500hp on a road course. My guess is heat management would be a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #64
drunkenup
Captain
Rep

I keep forgetting to data log on track. Anyone have experience with or think a vented hood helping? Otherwise I have been contemplating wmi
      07-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #65
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
I'd be really curious to know IATs of an NA car, like an E46 or E92, by comparison. Doubly curious of a properly built single, pushing 450-500hp on a road course. My guess is heat management would be a lot easier.
This is just conjecture, but I'd imagine that IATs of most NA cars are pretty damn close to ambient. There may be a slight temp rise as the air passes through the intake and filter in the hot engine bay, but likely no more than 10ish degrees.