BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Genie Garage Door Calibration

So my garage door opener will close and then re open by itself because it thinks there is an object in the path but actually it's because the door is closed already. I've recalibrated in the past but the problem occurs again and has to be recalibrated. Anyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I have a Genie Excelerator or something like that. No, I haven't run into having to recalibrate the opener since installing it about 18 years ago. The one problem I do have which is annoying is the RF reception. For what ever reason, the opener gets picky on responding to the remotes at random times.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I have a Genie Excelerator or something like that. No, I haven't run into having to recalibrate the opener since installing it about 18 years ago. The one problem I do have which is annoying is the RF reception. For what ever reason, the opener gets picky on responding to the remotes at random times.
My range is pretty good though I have a newer unit than yours. I also have it programmed to my BMWs homelink button and it works pretty good. Right now I'm just stopping it manually with a second button press when it's closed already because I haven't gotten around to recalibration get the stop position since I'll have to do it again in a year.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So my garage door opener will close and then re open by itself because it thinks there is an object in the path but actually it's because the door is closed already. I've recalibrated in the past but the problem occurs again and has to be recalibrated. Anyone else have this problem?
I just had the exact problem with my Genie screw drive door. Model number: CM 8600IC

One door would close then open again by itself. It took three visits from the door people and they couldn't figure it out. They adjusted the calibration, the interrupt sensors and the throw limit. Nothing worked. After watching this door do this repeatedly from the inside the garage I noticed that the long single track from the opener to the door was a bit loose and bowed up toward the ceiling. I pointed it out on the installer's third visit. He adjusted the track and straightened it out and everything is fine. I also tossed the old remote too and got two new genie openers from AMZ and did the programming in about 5 minutes for both doors.

I hope this helps...let me know.

3 Button Remote: Genie 3-Button Remote with Intellicode Security Technology, Controls Up To 3 Garage Door Openers – Compatible Only with Genie Garage Door Openers - Model G3T-R
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 01:35 AM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Quote:
I just had the exact problem with my Genie screw drive door. Model number: CM 8600IC

One door would close then open again by itself. It took three visits from the door people and they couldn't figure it out. They adjusted the calibration, the interrupt sensors and the throw limit. Nothing worked. After watching this door do this repeatedly from the inside the garage I noticed that the long single track from the opener to the door was a bit loose and bowed up toward the ceiling. I pointed it out on the installer's third visit. He adjusted the track and straightened it out and everything is fine. I also tossed the old remote too and got two new genie openers from AMZ and did the programming in about 5 minutes for both doors.

I hope this helps...let me know.

3 Button Remote: Genie 3-Button Remote with Intellicode Security Technology, Controls Up To 3 Garage Door Openers – Compatible Only with Genie Garage Door Openers - Model G3T-R
Yeah I have the screw type drive as well. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
I've had a number of Genie openers over the years, including a couple of Excellerator models. Had the same type of issues a couple of times. Once, all I had to do was unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in, just needed a "reboot" I guess.

Another time it turned out to be a wired wall mounted switch that went bad. Disconnected it, just touched the bare wires together to test the opener, and it worked, replaced the wall mounted switch and it was fine.