BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
RARZED4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MerlinTiCx

ECU ROM update

Has anyone had their ROM updated at a dealership in Germany? I ordered Cobb AP, but my ROM is unsupported. Sent a note to my SA, but have not heard back, and was wondering if they support this at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Not sure I understand your question.
      06-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
dEvo6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR135i View Post
Has anyone had their ROM updated at a dealership in Germany? I ordered Cobb AP, but my ROM is unsupported. Sent a note to my SA, but have not heard back, and was wondering if they support this at all.
if you intend updating of OEM ECU, my car is a novembre 2011 and a couple of months ago I had to update the ECU from the dealer. It was me that asked him to update, because the software (BSR) I was trying to flash didn't recognize it. After updating everything went fine
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

read in COBB page what you have to do when your ROM is not supported
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I would hit up Cobb and see what they say.
      06-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
RARZED4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
I would hit up Cobb and see what they say.
I did, they were the ones recommending the ROM update (from 9780B to 98DOB). I've sent a couple of notes to the dealership in STR, and am getting no response. Just wondering if it is something the German dealers support or not (they refused to mount my 225/255 tires).

Roy R.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I had the same problem with getting winter tires mounted...
      06-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I did, they were the ones recommending the ROM update (from 9780B to 98DOB). I've sent a couple of notes to the dealership in STR, and am getting no response. Just wondering if it is something the German dealers support or not (they refused to mount my 225/255 tires).

Roy R.
Sometimes the dealers can be total jerks when it comes to some things. On the tire part I know that they will not deviate from that since they are held accountable by the germans if something happens. That is the main reason they don't do it. I always took mine to the craft shop in Vilseck and now here. Never had any issues with them.

The guy that you talked to, is it the german guy that mostly deals with all the americans??
      06-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
The craft shop here doesn't have a tire machine that will work with RFTs, neither does the AAFEs shop. Sorry for the hijack.
      06-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
RARZED4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
Sometimes the dealers can be total jerks when it comes to some things. On the tire part I know that they will not deviate from that since they are held accountable by the germans if something happens. That is the main reason they don't do it. I always took mine to the craft shop in Vilseck and now here. Never had any issues with them.

The guy that you talked to, is it the german guy that mostly deals with all the americans??
Yes. I had also received a sales price on the BMW Performance Suspension and asked for a price quote to install the M3 rear subframe bushings along with the PS, and I just received a note from him saying that is "not allowed" either. He did not mention the ROM update, hope he's not avoiding the topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
josh135
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Yes. I had also received a sales price on the BMW Performance Suspension and asked for a price quote to install the M3 rear subframe bushings along with the PS, and I just received a note from him saying that is "not allowed" either. He did not mention the ROM update, hope he's not avoiding the topic.
Who are you dealing with there? If it is Mr Steb, I think that's the guy thats deals with all the US guys. I have never had any issues with him and they didn't even charge me for the oil for my oil change . If you need me to go over there for you and speak some German sense into him I'm more then happy too!
      06-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
RARZED4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh135 View Post
Who are you dealing with there? If it is Mr Steb, I think that's the guy thats deals with all the US guys. I have never had any issues with him and they didn't even charge me for the oil for my oil change . If you need me to go over there for you and speak some German sense into him I'm more then happy too!
It is Mr. Steeb, and he's always been nice to work with, that's not the issue. I guess I should not expect them to assist in "tuning" the car, even if it is with OEM parts substitutions. They are simply adhering to TUV rules and protecting themselves legally.

Does anyone know if it is possible for a non-BMW shop to update the ROM? And maybe the name of a good shop in the Stuttgart area for suspension work?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
josh135
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I would recommending hitting up the German forums with a little bit of google translate you might get a good answer. I don't know any indy shops in stuttgart that work on BMW's but I guess you could ask steven over at speed-concept.de and see if he can point you in the right direction.
      07-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #14
RARZED4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

ECU Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh135 View Post
I have scheduled an appointment for 12 Aug. I had sent him a note requesting the ECU update in order to fix a rough idle and occasional stalling (infrequent), but he indicated that the update would not fix those problems so I don't think it will get done. I don't know how to press the issue of the update without revealing the true intent. However, since the care is out of warranty, it may be moot. Anyway, if think you have time and think you might be able to help convince him, in a polite Schwaben way, I would sure appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll put the Cobb AP up for sale.

Roy R.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Just pay for a SW update thru your dealer. Most will charge you one hour's labor rate(~120 euros). Just tell them you want the newest SW.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Just pay for a SW update thru your dealer. Most will charge you one hour's labor rate(~120 euros). Just tell them you want the newest SW.

I ended up paying 98 Euro with a VAT form. I can understand you not wanting to reveal the true intent but they will most likely try and charge you to diagnose the problem first. I'd just tell them you did some research and software should fix it, have them update the software and be done. Having to wait until 12 Aug to get a simple software update is BS