BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
Gunther128i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Coupe

Stock 128i -Non MSport Track day

hi guys,

I just want to share, that coming November, I will do my first ever track day with my super stock 2013 bmw 128i.
This is my first track ever, not with any car.

Looking for tips on tires (on stock wheels) brake pads etc.
I don't plan on changing performance yet, until I feel the car on track running stock, then mod it from there.

i'm super stoked, but also nervous, still need to browse for helmets, but nonetheless excited!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

The answer is make sure the car is tech’ed and go have fun. Don’t change anything about the car on your first track day. Listen to your instructor and classroom teacher.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Gunther128i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrahams View Post
The answer is make sure the car is tech’ed and go have fun. Don’t change anything about the car on your first track day. Listen to your instructor and classroom teacher.
will do sir! I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I'd do a brake fluid flush with regular decent fluid, just want it to be new and no air in the system. Make sure your pads and rotors have decent thickness to them, most clubs I've run with say the pads have to have more than half their original thickness (BMW pads seem to have about 12mm of material when new).

Then just go out and have fun, and listen to your instructor . What track are you going to?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
Gunther128i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
I'd do a brake fluid flush with regular decent fluid, just want it to be new and no air in the system. Make sure your pads and rotors have decent thickness to them, most clubs I've run with say the pads have to have more than half their original thickness (BMW pads seem to have about 12mm of material when new).

Then just go out and have fun, and listen to your instructor . What track are you going to?
Good call! I need to do that before going. I was browsing the forum for a decent pads and stuff, lots of info out here. very helpful!

RE: have fun, will do for sure ! thanks! I live in SoCalifornia, the track is Spring willow. they said it's a fun track so we'll see.. really looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

For sure flush the brake fluid. If you're on street pads you may want to bring an extra set, you'll be surprised how fast you'll go through them.

Make sure your oil is topped up and go for it!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
That's a beauty!

Make sure you're up to date on maintenance (especially coolant, brake fluid, and oil).

If you want to upgrade brakes I like Hawk HT-10 pads and a racing brake fluid. the HT10 will squeal like hell on the street but they're a true racing brake pad and will handle whatever you throw at them. I only replaced my front and kept the rear stock pads fyi.

for tires, go as wide as you can, can't go wrong with Pilot super sports or the newer pilot sport 4s.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
Gunther128i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
For sure flush the brake fluid. If you're on street pads you may want to bring an extra set, you'll be surprised how fast you'll go through them.

Make sure your oil is topped up and go for it!
thank you! i'll be doing a brake fluid flush and coolant flush this weekend, and I just did an oil change last sunday. will be getting an alignment tomorrow

super stoked
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
Gunther128i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
That's a beauty!

Make sure you're up to date on maintenance (especially coolant, brake fluid, and oil).

If you want to upgrade brakes I like Hawk HT-10 pads and a racing brake fluid. the HT10 will squeal like hell on the street but they're a true racing brake pad and will handle whatever you throw at them. I only replaced my front and kept the rear stock pads fyi.

for tires, go as wide as you can, can't go wrong with Pilot super sports or the newer pilot sport 4s.

Good luck!

thank you !!!

I will be flushing the coolant and brakes, and just did an oil change i'll be bringing an extra set of pads for "just incase" moments and thank you for the recommendation! i'll def. check them out.

for tires, I just went with what the cars stock is, so it's 225/45 and I chose Potenza RE71R I believe.

will be having a lot of fun thank you!
Appreciate 0