BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

How to paint abs plastic?

Hi, I just ordered a carbon fiber grilles and realized that the vertical slats are made out of abs plastic.

Assuming I can separate the plastic from the carbon fiber, what is the best way to paint it glossy black?

I think it would look good glossy black carbon fiber and would match the rest of my car.

Question is, how do I go about painting it? I have never painted before.

Since its just abs plastic, do I need to sand it down or anything? I know nothing about sanding so what type do I even need? Is a primer needed?

How many layers of paint and do I need clear coat? Anyone have good recommendation for spray paint?

Sorry for so many questions, but when it comes to painting I know nothing .

I read some of the DIY but those involved the chrome grilles.
      12-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Your best bet is to get some gray Scotch-Brite pads and use them to scuff up the plastic first. Then clean that off with a prep solvent/degreaser. Next spray it with BullDog plastic prep, it is like spray paint but it is clear and helps spray paint stick to plastic better. Then get some gloss black SEM (thats the name of the brand, like Krylon but better) spray paint and apply multiple light layers. That should do the trick. Good Luck. Take your time. It is all in the prep.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Your best bet is to get some gray Scotch-Brite pads and use them to scuff up the plastic first. Then clean that off with a prep solvent/degreaser. Next spray it with BullDog plastic prep, it is like spray paint but it is clear and helps spray paint stick to plastic better. Then get some gloss black SEM (thats the name of the brand, like Krylon but better) spray paint and apply multiple light layers. That should do the trick. Good Luck. Take your time. It is all in the prep.
cool thanks . do i need to clear coat it?
      01-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
cool thanks . do i need to clear coat it?
You can if you want to. It would only be extra chip protection.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
lithium1330
Private
Rep
Drives: fiancee's 135 when she lets me

If the surface is not glossy smooth, you simply need to get a can of Krylon Fusion spray paint. The paint bonds to most plastic pieces and is very durable. Just prep the surface as necessary, wipe clean with some isopropyl alcohol, spray paint a couple of coats per direction. Get the glossy finish and it dries glossy. No clear coat necessary. You can pick them up at Home Depot for a few bux.
Appreciate 0