BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #177
sam-e82
Rep
Drives: '12 M-Sport 135i 7DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
I would seriously hire you to make this happen for me too lol. My car tries to kill me at least once a week with its throttle lag. I have all the latest software and the dealer insists it is normal. I hadn't heard definitively though that the PPK actually fixes the issue, as I thought it was a transmission software issue, not an ECU issue.
You just need to make your complaint known and if the dealer doesn't want to help go to another. Definitely open a case with BMW customer service and get the two in contact with each other. It might be better to get a sprint booster if you want to get it done as soon as possible.

The DME and TCU work together to determine the pressures the DCT will use (shift quality, quickness, firmness) according to what tune is on the car, piggyback tuners being the more difficult tune when it comes to working with a DCT TCU.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #178
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Called in today to obtain an appointment and courtesy vehicle. Going in next Tuesday for the DME SIB 12-15-14 update. From this forum, I think I will be the first 135is getting this done.
DME SIB 12-15-14 update was completed today. Total experience at the BMW dealership was flawless. So far, I am happy with the update. Throttle "tip in and lag" has been eliminated. Idle fluctuation with the AC on or off have been eliminated and most important... my snappy, crackle, narley burbling noises are all there and in it's full glory! It feels like the DCT and DME are now best of friends. It could have been my excitement and with the windows rolled up but I swore I heard burbles in 5th and 4th gears.

I am very happy.

To all my 135is DCT friends. Please have this update installed.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler

Last edited by Chunner; 11-04-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #179
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushculture View Post
Had the SIB 12-15-14 update installed today. Still waiting for the DME to do its adaptation thing, but my initial impressions are consistent with others on this thread: stable idle with A/C on, crisper and less jerky shifting, and most importantly, the low-speed lagginess seems to be rectified.

For those of you with Dinan tunes (mine's Stage 2), it's worth knowing that the SIB update will NOT overwrite your tune. I confirmed this at my Dinan dealer. So you can get the DCT update and you'll not need to return to your Dinan dealer afterwards. You'll be good to go.
You should double check that. The BMW Dealer had to re-installed my DINAN stage 3 software after my DME was updated today.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #180
JimUlrich135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-e82 View Post
SA Told me that they wanted to keep the car for 3 days after software install to make sure everything was "right" and adaptations were reset. Makes no sense considering the adaptations are in place for the customer... Talked to SM and told her straight up there is no reason to keep my car for this long and I will be the one to test the car. After warranty, I am going to my good friend down the street for my issues.

Then what!? Bring it back after the car may or may not have been cured of the original concern you were having? The only reason why they keep it is to make sure the concern is resolved before the release of the car, so then that way the car isnt a come back after a couple miles or a day or two later..
I guess I more or less understand your statement..
"I will be the one to test the car. After warranty, I am going to my good friend down the street for my issues"
..but when fixing a concern that's unlerlying with your car, it may, or in most cases, will take a day or two just to rectify the issue and test to see if repairs are successful. Just because theres a bulletin out that has symptoms listed on it that may correspond with your vehicle doesn't mean that it will 100% for sure fix the issue.
The vehicles are pretty complex when it comes to some repairs. It takes some time (for the most part) to resolve an issue. Bulletins for the most part are just a good start to a repair. Especially programming a vehicle, that can take some time.
Plus, if its under factory warranty, who cares about the wait....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #181
shibbay
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I had the update done at the same time the VANOS recall was being done. Completely stock 2011 135i here, and no burbles were heard after the update. Doesn't matter if I'm driving short or long distances, I haven't heard any burbles.

Good news is that the throttle lag I was experiencing is gone - I don't drive very often, so it might slip back into its old habits as others have mentioned, but so far I'm pretty happy with this update!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #182
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I also feel like all the sounds on overrun are gone for me. I mentioned this to my SA and he insisted I bring it back so he could check it out. I swear all the fun noises are gone. I may have to purchase the PPK1 in the future to get them back if I can't work with my SA to possibly get it on some sort of goodwill, we shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbay View Post
I had the update done at the same time the VANOS recall was being done. Completely stock 2011 135i here, and no burbles were heard after the update. Doesn't matter if I'm driving short or long distances, I haven't heard any burbles.

Good news is that the throttle lag I was experiencing is gone - I don't drive very often, so it might slip back into its old habits as others have mentioned, but so far I'm pretty happy with this update!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #183
shibbay
Rep

To be fair, I never had them to begin with. I purchased the vehicle in June and didn't have any burbles or overrun sounds, but I did have that throttle delay issue. I read here on 1addicts that there was a software update that fixed it (12-09-12) so I had that done. It seemed to be better, but still noticed that I frequently had those slow speed lurches when slowing down at a stop sign then taking off. Caught wind of the NEW service bulletin / software update (the one mentioned in this thread) and had THIS one done, and as I mentioned above, it seems as though my throttle delay is actually gone now.

Unfortunately, haven't ever experienced those awesome burbles that can be heard in the OP's video I've been thinking about the PPK1 as well, or a JB4, or a COBB, but haven't finished looking into all the available options yet, so I'll be holding off for now!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #184
2zoom
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i sport

Hi guys new the forum as I just picked up a 2012 BMW 135i with M sport package. I've been reading this thread as I've been having the same issues everyone's been describing here. Car is going in on Monday for the re-flash and hopefully it fixes everything as well as it sounds like with everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #185
sam-e82
Rep
Drives: '12 M-Sport 135i 7DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimUlrich135 View Post
Then what!? Bring it back after the car may or may not have been cured of the original concern you were having? The only reason why they keep it is to make sure the concern is resolved before the release of the car, so then that way the car isnt a come back after a couple miles or a day or two later..
I guess I more or less understand your statement..
"I will be the one to test the car. After warranty, I am going to my good friend down the street for my issues"
..but when fixing a concern that's unlerlying with your car, it may, or in most cases, will take a day or two just to rectify the issue and test to see if repairs are successful. Just because theres a bulletin out that has symptoms listed on it that may correspond with your vehicle doesn't mean that it will 100% for sure fix the issue.
The vehicles are pretty complex when it comes to some repairs. It takes some time (for the most part) to resolve an issue. Bulletins for the most part are just a good start to a repair. Especially programming a vehicle, that can take some time.
Plus, if its under factory warranty, who cares about the wait....
The June update was a clear detune and it does not take days to notice if it is the right tune or not. As dackelone and many others have made it clear this software issue is not exactly complex given that the update has BMW's anti tuner detection included with it. The fix is already known, the task at hand is getting your dealer to work with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #186
knc
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 1995 M3

Received my car back from Vanos bolt recall work. Car was reprogrammed. Experiencing less burbles/pops as discussed in this thread (6MT). Driving dynamics don't appear to have changed, but I really don't get to open the car up often with the traffic where I'm at. Staying tuned for solution..I liked it the old way.
      11-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #187
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
My car is essentially a 7DCT w/ PPK2 and PE. I had the car reprogrammed. For some reason, my exhaust note is quieter (not good). The burbles are still there but it's harder to trigger them now on purpose. It sucks how I can't have the best of both worlds.

On the other hand, the car is a lot easier and free-er to drive in daily LA traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #188
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
My car is essentially a 7DCT w/ PPK2 and PE. I had the car reprogrammed. For some reason, my exhaust note is quieter (not good). The burbles are still there but it's harder to trigger them now on purpose. It sucks how I can't have the best of both worlds.

On the other hand, the car is a lot easier and free-er to drive in daily LA traffic.
That's not very fitting given your username lol

So it seems this update is not the cure afterall, given the varied results. I won't bother with the update then (which would cost me $350-$400 to do). Will put that money towards my next car fund.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 01:18 AM   #189
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
That's not very fitting given your username lol

So it seems this update is not the cure afterall, given the varied results. I won't bother with the update then (which would cost me $350-$400 to do). Will put that money towards my next car fund.
To be fair, it does fix all the issues as promised. The quieter exhaust note is probably a by-product because I need less throttle input to get the noise going.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #190
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post

That is really weird. We both have 135is's. When I had the DME SIB 12-15-14 update completed all of my snappy, crackle, narley burbling noises were all there and still in it's full glory! As I wrote in an earlier post, it felt like the DCT and DME are now best of friends. I also wrote: It could have been my excitement and with the windows rolled up but I swore I heard burbles in 5th and 4th gears.

and of course it did eliminate the throttle "tip in and lag" issue and correct the idle fluctuation with the AC on or off problem.

what gives?

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #191
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
That is really weird. We both have 135is's. When I had the DME SIB 12-15-14 update completed all of my snappy, crackle, narley burbling noises were all there and still in it's full glory! As I wrote in an earlier post, it felt like the DCT and DME are now best of friends. I also wrote: It could have been my excitement and with the windows rolled up but I swore I heard burbles in 5th and 4th gears.

and of course it did eliminate the throttle "tip in and lag" issue and correct the idle fluctuation with the AC on or off problem.

what gives?
Back then, my car would do the burble when decelerating @ rpms below 2k rpm (1st gear & 2nd gear) without the sport button on. Now, I have to push it up to 2500 or even 3000 with the button to get the burble. I am doing my attempts when car is running at its operating temps (240F~250F). When it does burble, it's still there and (nearly) identical to what it was prior to the update (decelerating at the same 2500-3000 rpm). I guess the better term for my experience is it burbles a bit later.

After the update, I can hear the burbles 5th gear. I'll try having an external mic and record to confirm 5th gear and 6th gear burbles.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #192
Nj135is
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 135is vert

Guys I'm new to this thread so bear with me on this question....I have a 2013 135is and have not had anything done except a couple of oil changes. Is this DME a general update for all owners or does it only address a specific problem someone is encountering?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Last edited by Nj135is; 12-08-2014 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #193
Jatran661
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 135i

Brought my car in 2 weeks ago and got the update. Notice that lag issue is gone but my car is more quiet now and no more burbles. Weird how they didn't put sib number on the service notice.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #194
snarleyow
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 2012 135i

i just got it yesterday and drove for a few hours this morning. No question that the dct lag and tip in are fixed, car seems to pull harder down low, exhaust much quieter once going. Burbles are gone though And I had them going pretty nicely previously with just the PE.

I do have a weird thing going on around 3500+ in 7th, the exhaust note kind of oscillates. I thought pre update that I'd heard the turbos making a kind of unbalanced oscillating note when 4k+ and holding steady in any gear. This noise has moved to the exhaust. It now pulses. *wow wow wow* (like my elite sound effects?)

I had taken her in for the VANOS recall and also asked them specifically for SIB 12 15 14, service associate didn't really warm up to it but had the shop foreman take a spin with me and he verified the dct lag.

My paperwork shows SIB 12 15 14 update performed and unfavorable previous DME software. I've been hot and cold on the PPK but at this point I think I'm going extended warranty as my base 4year runs out in June and I'll do PPK as well to remain mostly stock/bmw performance stuff that warranty covers and save the major mods for 3 years from now.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #195
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nj135is View Post
Guys I'm new to this thread so bear with me on this question....I have a 2013 135is and have not had anything done except a couple of oil changes. Is this DME a general update for all owners or does it only address a specific problem someone is encountering?
Thanks in advance for your replies!
The software update that people are referring to in this thread is called SIB 12-15-14. It is a fix for throttle lag, idle fluctuation and lurching forward issues that some owners with the N55 engine (2011 - 2013) and the dual clutch transmission are experiencing.

If you notice any of these problems, you can go to your dealer and get this update free of charge under warranty. You will probably have to demonstrate these problems to your dealer to get the free update.

If your car was out of warranty, you would have to pay for this update. According to my dealer, it would cost two hours of labor and you don't have to prove you are having these issues to get the update because you are paying for it.

Pretty much all this information is in this thread and I've just tried to consolidate it for you.

Last edited by Esteban; 12-14-2014 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #196
kirkbar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarleyow View Post
I do have a weird thing going on around 3500+ in 7th, the exhaust note kind of oscillates. I thought pre update that I'd heard the turbos making a kind of unbalanced oscillating note when 4k+ and holding steady in any gear. This noise has moved to the exhaust. It now pulses. *wow wow wow* (like my elite sound effects?)
I just had the VANOS done and the SB 12 15 14 done last week on my 2011 w/DCT. The car behaves better now in stop-n-go traffic!

I just threw on my BMS intake and noticed this same oscillating induction sound at 3500 RPM. Not sure is this is "normal" as my last ride was a 135 N54. I have a Cobb AP and will hook it up and do some logging.
2011 135i DCT M/Sport Jet Black Cobb STG2+ | M3 Suspension Parts | ERW Charge pipe | VRSF 7 Intercooler | Cobb DP | MFactory LSD w/lockdown | KW V1 Coilovers | Apex ARC-8 | Dinan camber plates | BMS Intake | M3 Cluster & steering wheel | 1M Strut brace
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #197
guey
Rep
Drives: 135 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
The software update that people are referring to in this thread is called SIB 12-15-14. It is a fix for throttle lag, idle fluctuation and lurching forward issues that some owners with the N55 engine (2011 - 2013) and the dual clutch transmission are experiencing.

If you notice any of these problems, you can go to your dealer and get this update free of charge under warranty. You will probably have to demonstrate these problems to your dealer to get the free update.

If your car was out of warranty, you would have to pay for this update. According to my dealer, it would cost two hours of labor and you don't have to prove you are having these issues to get the update because you are paying for it.

Pretty much all this information is in this thread and I've just tried to consolidate it for you.

I am out of warranty and the SA, and dealer were nice enogh not to charge me.
all tough I have complain for the past 2 years about the issue.
seems to be working fine.for now…
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #198
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by guey View Post
I am out of warranty and the SA, and dealer were nice enogh not to charge me.
all tough I have complain for the past 2 years about the issue.
seems to be working fine.for now…
I guess you were lucky. Were you just out of warranty and maybe your dealer was extending you a grace period? Or maybe it's because you'd complained about it for two years and they finally decided to listen, in or out of warranty. Good for you!