BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2021, 03:03 AM   #1
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

128i Plastic Valve Cover Lifespan? And other maintenance items...

Hey all,

Im about to do some major maintenance on my 2009 128i. Ive got a new Dorman valve cover in my shopping cart, but before I click purchase-Im just curious what sort lifespan the plastic valve covers typically have? My car has 170 kms (unknown if VC has already been replaced-3rd owner) and no signs of leaks anywhere or from oil filter housing gasket.

If its common for the covers to fail/crack at some point Ill preemptively replace it. If all thats needed is the VC gasket set-Ill do that!

TIA

My list so far: (please tell me if anything is overkill/not necessary)

2 GATES vanos solenoids,
VDO eccentric shaft sensor
NGK sparkplugs (5987)
Delphi coil packs
new oil filter housing gasket
Tstat
Waterpump
Coolant flange
upper/lower rad hoses
etc.

Going to be doing 3SI, MILVS and tune at the same time as well so any maintenance items related to those Im all ears.
Upper/lower rad hoses
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Having done the job a few times. Spend the money and get oem. I bought a Chinese one and it started blowing smoke after 30 min. Then had to do the job all over again.
Appreciate 1
asbrr544.50
      06-07-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Yes to OEM parts [dealer] or FCP Euro or Pelican Parts. Membership in BMW Clubs Canada may get you a discount [at the dealer] that more than pays for the membership. Also, if you're near Vancouver, it might be wise to check 2 or 3 different dealers to see who would give you the best price.
I have an 08 with 104K kms. My BMW indy garage wanted to change the VCG. I knew I had some sweating but no leaks. I removed the engine cover and voila, there was the leak. Minor, but none the less leaking where you couldn't see it. VC itself was Ok so only new gaskets.
Is your alternator spotless and shiny? Likely OFHG is OK.
Appreciate 1
asbrr544.50
      06-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

I will add another to the replace a VC with an "OE" one only. Because BMW was so wise, and decided to use a plastic valve cover - they do tend to warp with heat over time so even if you replace the VCG the stupid cover won't seal properly if its warped.

My indy mechanic calls the non-OE versions "rockers" - because they can come "pre-warped" before installation even and if you're in there with everything apart, you don't want to come back and do it like the other poster above states.

It hurts, but better to do the job correctly once than incorrectly more than once!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the help so far-Ill definitely get an OE VC gasket from the dealer. So far no one seems to be concerned about the actual valve cover so fingers crossed it's not cracked and I can just get the gasket replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_stew View Post
So far no one seems to be concerned about the actual valve cover so fingers crossed it's not cracked and I can just get the gasket replaced.
Eh, it will crack eventually. There's just no way plastic can be heat-cycled that many times without getting brittle. As long as you are careful removing and reinstalling it, it should last a good while (maybe 150k based on what I've seen and heard). I would say it's roughly a 2:1 ratio. Replace the valve cover every second time you need to replace the gasket. If you already have 120k or up, I'd probably replace it now. You're at 170k kms so I'd say you could probably wait.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
asbrr544.50
      06-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #7
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help so far-Ill definitely get an OE VC gasket from the dealer. So far no one seems to be concerned about the actual valve cover so fingers crossed it's not cracked and I can just get the gasket replaced.
Sorry - I should have been clearer - definitely DO replace the cover itself, when I said only buy a BMW original "VC" = "Valve Cover" in addition to the VCG = gasket etc!

The cheap ones are useless, the OE one will warp with time, why do all the work a second time so just replace it now. I was at 170K on my car when I replaced the cover itself. Doubt you will get much longer with yours if you're already at 170k.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 05:40 AM   #8
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

One of the local indy shops keeps valve covers in stock and replaces them regularly.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 11:12 PM   #9
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Hey all,

Im about to do some major maintenance on my 2009 128i. Ive got a new Dorman valve cover in my shopping cart, but before I click purchase-Im just curious what sort lifespan the plastic valve covers typically have? My car has 170 kms (unknown if VC has already been replaced-3rd owner) and no signs of leaks anywhere or from oil filter housing gasket.

If its common for the covers to fail/crack at some point Ill preemptively replace it. If all thats needed is the VC gasket set-Ill do that!

TIA

My list so far: (please tell me if anything is overkill/not necessary)

2 GATES vanos solenoids,
VDO eccentric shaft sensor
NGK sparkplugs (5987)
Delphi coil packs
new oil filter housing gasket
Tstat
Waterpump
Coolant flange
upper/lower rad hoses
etc.

Going to be doing 3SI, MILVS and tune at the same time as well so any maintenance items related to those Im all ears.
Upper/lower rad hoses
If you're going to do vanos solenoids (you may not need to, a cleaning could be suffice) I'd go with oem from fcp euro. They have a lifetime warranty from them.

Also I'm not sure if the Delphi coil packs work with the 128, I had a coil that failed and tried using one from autozone as they only had that in stock, visibly it seemed a bit shorted and I wasn't sure if it was sitting and seated on tbe spark plug, and my car was still misfiring on that cylinder. If others say they can be used then apologies for the misinformation but that was my experience with Delphi. I would also get OE from fcp euro ignition coils.

As far as the VC goes, if you're going to do the gasket and you're at 100k miles, do the whole vc with OE parts. It's possible your ccv/pcv could fail shortly after and then you have to do it all over again. I did the vcg three weeks ago and I can honestly say it was the most frustrating thing I've ever done, no room to work and when you get the vc on if the gasket falls off in the back you either need to have small monkey hands and the ability to contort yourself into some ridiculous positions to get it on correctly in the back or you have to start all over. Also if you buy the vc you can add a very small amount of RTV gasket maker to the corners and in the back of the vc and then put the gasket, and that should make sure it stays in place. I know bmw says you don't need to and shouldn't put any, but they also say tranny fluid is "life time fluids" so don't listen to everything you hear from them.

I would also get the hose that runs from the ccv to the intake manifold, make sure you get the right one for your 3SI, I believe they made two hoses and I don't recall the exact difference but at 100k miles I'm sure your hose is brittle and you will definitely break it removing it. Alternatively you can be the guinea pig for us all and run a catch can in between ccv and the manifold, I recall reading that some people had a significant amount of oil in the manifolds when they changed their disa valves after failure so it might be something to look into, I think at one of the connections to the manifold there's a heating element which is supposed to stop the oil from coagulating there so you need to take that into account otherwise you'll get a check engine light.

Otherwise I think that's my two cents on it all. If you have the money maybe change the starter motor as well, I think but I'm not 100% sure, you might need to remove the intake manifold to get to it and if you're going to have it off, might as well replace it.

Make sure the OFHG is bmw Japan, I think in 2019 they changed to making them in Japan, therefore you'll know it's the latest one and at least "fresher" than one made in other countries.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 01:51 AM   #10
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate the help everyone. Definitely leaning towards replacing the valve cover with a new one. However Im leaning towards the Dorman or Beck/Arnley one- OEM is over $650 cdn! The two I mentioned are the most expensive ones on Rockauto so Im *hoping* they are close enough in terms of OEM quality. The cost about $350 CDN.

///Makis - you bring up a great point about the PCV hose-I have that in my list as well. However, whether Ive got the correct one that's compatible with the 3SI is another issue. This is the Gates one on Rockauto

If anyone is able to confirm which/what hoses should be replaced when installing a 3SI that would be very helpful. Im new to N52's (former e30 guy) and this will be my first big project/maitenance overhaul.

Last edited by oldman_stew; 06-09-2021 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 07:51 AM   #11
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

I understand the cost of an OE Valve Cover being much higher - I have an allergic reaction to hearing "Doorman" - some horror stories of parts quality from them.

For the $300 difference (and I'm not trying to trivialize that amount) - is it worth it to have to re-do the job not long after? As per the experience from the other poster above who had an issue 30 minutes after installing an aftermarket VC, doesn't seem worth the risk to me. You may be lucky and get one that holds up just fine...hard to say.

For the 3SI hoses - it kind of depends on your car's build date vs the build date/car your replacement manifold came from. There's a couple of variations on the hoses, you might be ok as your car is a 2009 and as long as the replacement manifold is from a similar or newer era you're good. I can't remember exactly when the date cutoffs were, but some of the old 3SI manifolds didn't have two connections for the hose you are showing there, only one so you just had to plug one of the ends. The hose that comes from the back of the valve cover is one that typically breaks, some people buy a spare to cover that eventuality...
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2021, 10:25 PM   #12
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the help everyone. Definitely leaning towards replacing the valve cover with a new one. However Im leaning towards the Dorman or Beck/Arnley one- OEM is over $650 cdn! The two I mentioned are the most expensive ones on Rockauto so Im *hoping* they are close enough in terms of OEM quality. The cost about $350 CDN.

///Makis - you bring up a great point about the PCV hose-I have that in my list as well. However, whether Ive got the correct one that's compatible with the 3SI is another issue. This is the Gates one on Rockauto

If anyone is able to confirm which/what hoses should be replaced when installing a 3SI that would be very helpful. Im new to N52's (former e30 guy) and this will be my first big project/maitenance overhaul.
Exactly what Asbrr said.

I don't recall the dates either but if you check real oem I think you can get a better idea of which one is which.

I was half asleep when I was writing my rant last night, did I mention that it's entirely possible to build your own pcv hose?

There was a guy on this forum that broke his and used a rubber or silicone hose and attached the quick connectors (they're not quick to remove, they're a PITA) but he ultimately did that and also added the heating element from the hose he broke into it as well. I mean it's insane what bmw charges for a plastic hose that fails after a few years and probably cost 1$ to make and maybe 2$ to ship when shipped in bulk.

If I were you I'd go with the oil catch can route and make your own hose, you can get high temp rubber hose or go with some fancy stainless steel braided hoses and appropriate quick release Fittings. But that's just my opinion. When you start the VC job you'll understand why you never want to have to deal with that sh*t again. People's posts don't do the PITA it is any justice.

Another reason to get a new vc is this plastic piece attached to the underside of the VC that I think sits on something or was called a breather vent, I really can't recall, I think Desertman had mentioned it in his post about changing the VCG, mine also came off and I had to RTV it back onto the vc but I think desertman said he used superglue

If you're doing all the work yourself, make sure you have all of the torx and e torx and wobble extensions or 90 degree u joints.
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2021, 05:32 AM   #13
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well folks, I took your advice and bit the bullet. Decided to go with OEM valve cover and solenoids along with everything else from FCP. Also ordered my MILVs tonight as well. I guess the final big purchase is the StageFP tune! My pockets are feeling the sting tho
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #14
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well folks, I took your advice and bit the bullet. Decided to go with OEM valve cover and solenoids along with everything else from FCP. Also ordered my MILVs tonight as well. I guess the final big purchase is the StageFP tune! My pockets are feeling the sting tho
Kudos to you for going whole hog on this thing. You only live once, but I can say even from just doing the 3SI and tune, I don't know why I waited so long. With MILVs you will have a very fun little car on your hands.

I justify it to myself because there are not many other cars out there that appeal, these are a dying breed so if it takes some money to keep them going and have fun with them, it's worth it vs putting in who knows how much more money to get something new and similar fun....

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 12:40 AM   #15
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Kudos to you for going whole hog on this thing. You only live once, but I can say even from just doing the 3SI and tune, I don't know why I waited so long. With MILVs you will have a very fun little car on your hands.

I justify it to myself because there are not many other cars out there that appeal, these are a dying breed so if it takes some money to keep them going and have fun with them, it's worth it vs putting in who knows how much more money to get something new and similar fun....

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Its funny, my last car was an e30, and definitely an enthusiast project. My intention was for this 128 to be much more low key/stock set up than the e30. In some ways I guess it is, but for a modern car I couldnt be happier driving/plugging away at it. Part of me (if I had the money) would love to pick up another 128i before they sky rocket in price like e30s have. Would allow me to make this current car more of a track focused car too. Perhaps- who knows.

Ill definitely report back as the car progresses. I didnt do a build thread for the e30 which would have been fun to document that process. Might do so with this one.
Appreciate 1
asbrr544.50
      06-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #16
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:

I don't know of any way to get at the breather hose without removing the entire intake manifold. If you were going to do that anyway, great, but this is not replaceable if you are only doing the valve cover. I suppose you may know someone with teeny double-jointed hands who can reach under there, but I could not.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #17
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Quote:

I don't know of any way to get at the breather hose without removing the entire intake manifold. If you were going to do that anyway, great, but this is not replaceable if you are only doing the valve cover. I suppose you may know someone with teeny double-jointed hands who can reach under there, but I could not.
I didn't have the misfortune of breaking the breather hose thank god, but out of curiosity, if you lifted the car up and removed the under tray, is there enough room to to remove the breather hose from there?

I never paid attention when I had removed the under tray to change the tranny fluid so I can't recall what's under there and what you have access to.

Either way, breaking that hose would make an otherwise tedious job Into an exhausting one if you had to remove the intake manifold On top of all that.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:50 AM   #18
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
The seller I bought my 3SI has included the PCV hose (low miles, around 60k) and assured me he would also use the same hose rather than replace it. I might try to recondition the hose as well just to make sure it's good to go for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #19
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

They do become very brittle with age. If you could break all three clips to remove the old hose without damaging anything else, you probably could find a way to push the new hose on there without removing the manifold. Trying to get the clips to release was impossible for me, but just snapping them in place might be workable.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:45 AM   #20
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

OP, out of curiosity, why replace the valve cover?

I thought this would be a part you never needed replacing. What are some mileage ranges that these fail/crack/get damaged at?
      06-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #21
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post

I thought this would be a part you never needed replacing. What are some mileage ranges that these fail/crack/get damaged at?
I'm not OP but...conventional thinking (not just on forums I mean)...calls for replacement.

As they are made from plastic, they warp due to heat cycling with age, and don't seal properly even with a new gasket! So common practice is to do the VCG and the VC at the same time. What mileage is your car? I would guess at anywhere from 100K+ miles is when they start to go....
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #22
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post

I'm not OP but...conventional thinking (not just on forums I mean)...calls for replacement.

As they are made from plastic, they warp due to heat cycling with age, and don't seal properly even with a new gasket! So common practice is to do the VCG and the VC at the same time. What mileage is your car? I would guess at anywhere from 100K+ miles is when they start to go....
Thank you! That make a lot of sense to me.

Currently I am at 68k miles and just replaced the OHFG. But if the valve cover starts leaking, I will replace the gasket. If the leaks occurs again after 30k miles I will replace the valve cover and the valve cover gasket.

It does make sense to replace valve cover and the gasket at the same time, to me, financially speaking, I will hold off since I would be doing the work myself anyways.