BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i White/Red

went to the dealership to get this new recall taken care of. When I got the car back there was a broken clip in the cup holder and the whole radio sits a few cm to the right now and there is a gap on drivers side. Can anyone supply a picture of how it supposed to look? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Why the hell did they remove it to replace the blower motor wire? I've removed my blower motor twice and never messed with the center console. Does the blower motor wire actually go into the dash controls? I would have though it just goes to a relay near the fuse panel.

Ugh! I don't want my dash to start squeaking because of a crappy recall repair!

Oh, BTW, that broken tab could be from the blower motor housing. I would have them verify their work because a loose blower motor is asking for trouble.
Attached Images

Last edited by Thunderguts; 10-15-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

That broken tab must have been sitting in the lower dash panel that gets removed to do the recall. We would never remove the blower motor, or the radio to do the recall.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

This is the ONLY part of the car that is removed to do the recall.

Edit: this is not exactly what the panel in our cars looks like, but gives you the idea.

All we do is remove that panel, cut off the connector that is going into the blower motor controller, and splice in a new connector.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Why the hell did they remove it to replace the blower motor wire? I've removed my blower motor twice and never messed with the center console. Does the blower motor wire actually go into the dash controls? I would have though it just goes to a relay near the fuse panel.

Ugh! I don't want my dash to start squeaking because of a crappy recall repair!

Oh, BTW, that broken tab could be from the blower motor housing. I would have them verify their work because a loose blower motor is asking for trouble.
I don't even know if they did or not. I took my car in for a recall, then I noticed my dash was all over the fucking place and that broken piece was in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
This is the ONLY part of the car that is removed to do the recall.

Edit: this is not exactly what the panel in our cars looks like, but gives you the idea.

All we do is remove that panel, cut off the connector that is going into the blower motor controller, and splice in a new connector.
Where is this?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofis135i View Post
Where is this?
It's under the glove box area. It covers the underside of the passenger footwell.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:
Where is this?
It's under the glove box area. It covers the underside of the passenger footwell.
Spoke to the service manager at my local dealer. He said on the 2011s you need to go through radio panels and this panel was apparently put in on 2012-13 models. They are taking the car back in on Friday to take it apart and put it together right and order any parts they broke. Also checked dash cam and they were revving the shit out of it 🤦🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Spoke to the service manager at my local dealer. He said on the 2011s you need to go through radio panels and this panel was apparently put in on 2012-13 models. They are taking the car back in on Friday to take it apart and put it together right and order any parts they broke. Also checked dash cam and they were revving the shit out of it 🤦🏻*♂️
I have a 2011, build date 9/2010, and I have this panel, and I know the blower motor is there too. I wonder what wiring is behind the radio panel that they need to get to.

Also, did they say why they were revving the shit out of it? Did they have an explanation for that?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. This is why I won't let anyone near my cars except for the annual inspection which is required by law.

I would have a talk with the service manager. When are idiot techs going to learn that they have a good chance of being recorded when they do stupid shit in customers' cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. This is why I won't let anyone near my cars except for the annual inspection which is required by law.

I would have a talk with the service manager. When are idiot techs going to learn that they have a good chance of being recorded when they do stupid shit in customers' cars?
F*ck I'm getting a dashcam.
+1 what did they do and what is revving the shit out of it? Is it part of testing the service?

That said is revving a warm motor a little isn't necessarily bad is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #12
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have a 2011, build date 9/2010, and I have this panel, and I know the blower motor is there too. I wonder what wiring is behind the radio panel that they need to get to.

Also, did they say why they were revving the shit out of it? Did they have an explanation for that?
Interesting, I have an 11' early build date too and this is what the service manager told me. Not sure how much they can know about each model. Didn't question them on the revving yet. I wanna wait until they fix the car first.

Quote:
Quote:

They notice the dash cam and you can hear them laughing at it like I'm being paranoid. If you're gonna be a tech for cars you can't afford, the least you can do is be super careful and professional when it comes to a customers car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

+1 what did they do and what is revving the shit out of it? Is it part of testing the service?

Best purchase I've ever made, saved me $50 for a new kidney grill because some rusted out trunk threw metal into it and broke it, thank god it didn't damage the radiator.

Revving the shit out of it means they set off burble tune. Set at 3400rpm.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #13
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Word of caution, I used to have a dash cam($50), then someone decided to break my passenger window to steal it. Sooo.... for me I guess it was a win/loose?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Word of caution, I used to have a dash cam($50), then someone decided to break my passenger window to steal it. Sooo.... for me I guess it was a win/loose?
I leave mine in the windshield all the time, and have for years. So far so good. Maybe just bad luck. I guess you could pop it off and put it on the floor in a bad neighborhood. My wife has this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great for front and rear, but she has an Audi Q5, so rear sight is not as compromised. Nearly invisible from the outside.

I use this in my 128i: https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-DriveA...1274661&sr=8-1

I pop it off and take it with me when I travel. Good to have a GPS and dash cam in a rental.
      10-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #15
Jeb_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

I just had the recall done on my 2011 (5/2010 build date). The service manager said and the paper work shows that only the "short harness" was replaced. Maybe that's the difference between only needing access in the foot well and also needing to get behind the radio.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 05:20 AM   #16
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where is this?
That is not true. At all.
Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50