BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

19" wheels on modified suspension

I'm a bit confounded with my recent purchase. It's the 2013 128i M Sport (Jet Black over Coral Red) that was listed here not long ago, and the previous owner changed to the M3 rear subframe bushings, M3 front control arms, and M3 rear trailing arms. There are tension rods that were changed as well. The springs and shocks are stock.

With the current wheels and tires (E46 M3 ZCP front wheels, 8 x 19" ET47 all around, with 225/35 front tires and 245/35 rear tires), I am getting an occasional tire rub on the outer edge of the tires (not the tread but rather the very edge of the tread/sidewall area) with only my weight and golf clubs in the trunk (i.e., no passengers) in situations such as extreme road dips or construction areas.

TireRack believes the wheel/tire configuration should fit satisfactorily and suggested asking people who may have made similar mods if they had similar experiences with reduced tire clearance.

Does anyone understand why this is occurring? Is this a common effect from doing such suspension mods? Does anyone have suggestions to eliminate this issue? I'm not convinced that using 18" wheels from the 135i with appropriate tires will be any different. I'm also not comfortable with fender rolling.

I like the look of the wheels but not the rubbing. I'm tempted to go to 17" wheels (lighter, more tire options) or maybe one of the OE 18" set ups but want to feel comfortable that I won't have any rubbing before buying another set of wheels/tires.

Thanks!

Last edited by MAMSport; 05-27-2016 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

What's the width of the wheels? Question the accuracy of your list as the m3 RTABs and arms are the same as the M sport e82 parts.

Think the rear tire may be a little tall as well.
      05-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
cammula
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine Whit 135i Coupe

I had the same problem with my 19 inch VMR's on my M-sport suspension. I think its due to the softer spring rates when compared to a coilover set up. I now run a bilstein PSS10 kit and after dialing in ride height and dampening it runs like a dream.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Kind of agree that the rear tires might be a bit tall - 1" in diameter - but the section width should still fit within the wheel house with 8" wide wheels and 47 mm of offset? The OE (for 135i) 8 1/2 x 18" wheels have 52 mm of offset. The difference of 5 mm of offset (how does wheel width from 8 to 8 1/2" affect offset?) would be less than 1/4" further outboard. TireRack sells wheel/tire packages of 19" (and 18") diameter with 40-45 mm of offset and guarantee fitment without rubbing. This is why I wonder whether the changes in suspension components might be the reason for the slight rubbing. It really is slight and only in unusual road circumstances - but I can only talk about the car being driven without much ballast, just me normally. I'd have to believe there would be more rubbing with passengers.

I can't say much regarding the subframe bushings being the same from M sport/sport vs the M3 pieces. From other posts, I believe these are different parts. There are some posts that indicate the suspension arms are slightly different (longer for the M3 pieces?) which creates additional negative camber. As far as I know, the RTABs have not been changed, nor have springs/shocks.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
MAMSport, you should definitely be able to make those wheels fit without rubbing. I'm pretty sure with that setup that you must be just rubbing the inner fender liner material. It's easy to trim and that should solve your problem.

What tire model are you using? A tire that runs small should fit without rubbing even in the sizes you are currently using. How much rear camber are you running? Just a little more camber would do it also.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Tires are Pilot SuperSports. I'm not entirely sure where the rubbing is occurring, just know that it is occurring. I plan to take it to a shop to check the alignment. Should I go to BMW for a corner weighted alignment? Does this car call for weights at different places as earlier BMWs did?

Eyeman, what is the rear hub mod you have mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Mamsport, there's a thread on the rear brake hub mod, you gain about 7 mm in clearance.

But you don't need that mod with those wheels, actually IMO it would look bad, your rears wheels would be too tucked in. For sure, the main issue is the tires you chose. PSS's are great tires but they run more full sized than many tires. You could switch to most brands of non R rated tires and likely not rub. Or trim your fender liner or add a tad of camber. A corner alignment is specifically for when you have coilovers so you don't need that.

Jack up your car, remove a wheel, use some scissors to neatly cut out that material and I bet you'll be fine.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Eyeman,

thanks for the thoughts. It's probably only a slight bit of overlap that is causing the infrequent but seemingly harsh rubbing. I probably have enough rubbing to see where on the fender/fender liners the tire hits. I'm even thinking of 17" wheels so that I have more tire fitment options as opposed to the four listed for 215/40 and 245/35 on 18" wheels. If there were 215/40 or 215/35-19 options in Pilot SS, I'd put those on the front and move the 225/35 to the rear. Sadly, not to be.
Appreciate 0