BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

135i with KW v2 and H&R sways -- PHOTO

Here is a photo of my sleeper, with slight slam:

Here is photo of 8500K angel eyes I just put on:

Only major thing left to do to the car is BMW Performance Exhaust and Riss catted DPs. Have the exhaust in my garage; just waiting on Anthony to start shipping the new DPS.

RIP: '08 BMW 135i -- Vishnu, Riss intake, H&R sways, KW Variant 2 coilovers, Sprintbooster, Riss Racing catted downpipes, BMW Performance exhaust, tii wheels, cross-drilled rotors, M door sills, 8500K Angel Eyes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 coming soon...

Your car looks great. But then I just picked up my MB 135 last week so am partial to the color :biggrin:

How do you like your suspension set-up? Please give as much detail as possible on how it has affected ride characteristics, body-roll and cornering (including understeer), if you don't mind. I'm looking at doing the exact same set-up as you have done, with the exception of keeping the stock wheels. Any thoughs or advice would be appreciated....:thumbup:

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Jack (LA)
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA1 View Post
Your car looks great. But then I just picked up my MB 135 last week so am partial to the color :biggrin:

How do you like your suspension set-up? Please give as much detail as possible on how it has affected ride characteristics, body-roll and cornering (including understeer), if you don't mind. I'm looking at doing the exact same set-up as you have done, with the exception of keeping the stock wheels. Any thoughs or advice would be appreciated....:thumbup:

Thanks!
Here's my take on the KW V2's, which I had installed last week.....

Ride quality improved over stock -- firmer yet more compliant over bumps. Much of the squat and dive is gone and body roll has been decreased significantly (this w/o changing bars). The "floaty"/ wandering trait of the stock suspension when put under any sort of cornering load has been eliminated. As for understeer, it has been reduced through lowering the car (w/ a bit of rake up front) and your ability to play with the shock adjustments. If you want total elimination of understeer, add adjustable front and rear bars as well as more rubber up front.

For the street, the KW V2's are fantastic -- they transform the car. Spring rates are relatively soft, so ride comfort is not compromised when going easy. Start to push the car and you really notice the difference. If I was planning on doing more track work with the car, I'd thing about the V3's or Club Sport KW's.

FWIW, my 135 with this suspension is more planted than a new stock M3 or so says my friend, the owner of the M3 who has done a lengthy back-to back comparo drive between the two cars.
Attached Images

06-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

That looks great!! I have been trying to decide if I should go with the V2's or just do the old spring swap with new shocks but I really like how cars look with the v2's and I don't think I've read a bad ride report. Plus I can dial out some of the "stink bug" look that spring swaps tend to cause on the 1ers. While they look aggressive, I like the flatter look better. Either way though I would have a better handling car but I think I am leaning more towards the V2's right now. Plus, I'm hoping I can get them cheaper in Europe. What amount of drop are you running? Any regrets?
      06-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

Jack!

Your car is sick! Love it...
Now you need some black Ultraz...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Jack (LA)
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMike View Post
What amount of drop are you running? Any regrets?

Drop: ~30 mm front and 25mm rear. No rubbing or scraping...yet. We may adjust the height once we see how much the springs settle.

No regrets -- the KW V2's are exceeding my expectations. Best of both worlds -- better than stock handling and better than stock ride quality. I know, it's hard to believe since you usually pay a "ride quality" price to get better handling. :thumbup:
      06-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Jack (LA)
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ichael View Post
Jack!

Your car is sick! Love it...
Now you need some black Ultraz...
Thanks. I've added the carbon mirror covers..no photos yet.

I'm looking for some wheels, but haven't found the right wheels with the proper offsets. Actually, I'm feeling good about the stockers.... especially with the car's new stance. :wink:
      06-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
F0Bman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

That looks nice.
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack (LA) View Post
Drop: ~30 mm front and 25mm rear. No rubbing or scraping...yet. We may adjust the height once we see how much the springs settle.

No regrets -- the KW V2's are exceeding my expectations. Best of both worlds -- better than stock handling and better than stock ride quality. I know, it's hard to believe since you usually pay a "ride quality" price to get better handling. :thumbup:
That sounds like just what I want. I may just go for the V2's and hold off on a rear sway bar. The V2's may firm up that back end enough all on their own.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep

Jack (LA)

Jack -- how easy are these to adjust for ride height and/or ride firmness once they are installed? Do you need to remove wheels or any such nonsense or can it just be easily dialed in by hand without removing or unbolting anything?

I just may be picking up a set of these....Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Jack (LA)
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA1 View Post
Jack -- how easy are these to adjust for ride height and/or ride firmness once they are installed? Do you need to remove wheels or any such nonsense or can it just be easily dialed in by hand without removing or unbolting anything?

I just may be picking up a set of these....Thanks!
Ride height adjustments will require removing the wheels and using the special spanners supplied by KW to adjust the spring perches. Once you change height settings, you should re-align the car.

Rebound (firmness) changes are done by turning the adjustment mechanism on top of the shocks -- easy for the front. For the rear, you need to make (cut) a small access opening in the rear trunk liner above where the rear shocks are mounted to get to the adjustment mechanism.
      06-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

OP-where'd you get the angel eye upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
arisonford
Rep
Drives:

where can i buy the KW V2 upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

This is definitely on my list of things to-do...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
Viper
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i (SOON-DINAN)

may i ask the cost of buying the kw v2 and h&r sways?

why wouldn't you buy the coilovers from h&r too? do you all feel that kw makes a better coilover setup? i am looking to upgrade my suspension at some point. however for now i would like to learn how my car handles stock.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Jack (LA)
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisonford View Post
where can i buy the KW V2 upgrade?

Auto Talent gave me great pricing on tha KW V2..... :thumbup:
Attached Images

07-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #17
GQ 135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Both cars look good
      07-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #18
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Our car on KWs

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the kind compliments on my 135!

I had a great experience buying H&R sways, KW Variant 2 coilovers, and 8500K Angel Eyes from Gravity Autosports, and I recommend them without reservation. The GA price was the best I could find online and Drew Burton was extremely responsive and always communicated clearly.

You can reach Drew here:

Drew Burton (Client Advisor)
1(800) 316-9691
www.gravityauto.com
sales@gravityauto.com

RIP: '08 BMW 135i -- Vishnu, Riss intake, H&R sways, KW Variant 2 coilovers, Sprintbooster, Riss Racing catted downpipes, BMW Performance exhaust, tii wheels, cross-drilled rotors, M door sills, 8500K Angel Eyes, etc.
Appreciate 0