BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
instag8tr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 sphr blk 135i

135i suspension mods

I am tired of the soft suspension . I want to know best bang for the buck what to do to the suspension. I don't really want to lower the car just stiffen it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Swaybars would be a good option too, even when paired with the stock suspension. I went with just a hotchkis front sway and it made a huge difference in how flat the car cornered.

Price isn't too bad especially if you do the install yourself.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Emme Tres

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=792&page=1

25% off till the end of the month. So, about $1350 for suspension designed specifically for the 135.
      10-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Springs and shocks at the minimum. I also will be interested in maintaining as much suspension travel as possible when the time comes.

I doubt "cheap" and "good" go together. It seems the Koni FSD (?) and Eibachs Sport are a good combination for under $1K for parts. Lowering is minimal.
Do you really consider 1.2" minimal? Dinan and BMWPerformance are 0.5", which I would consider minimal.
      10-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Springs and shocks at the minimum. I also will be interested in maintaining as much suspension travel as possible when the time comes.

I doubt "cheap" and "good" go together. It seems the Koni FSD (?) and Eibachs Sport are a good combination for under $1K for parts. Lowering is minimal.
I would think for a true "low cost" option, getting a better set of dampers will do the trick, with perhaps some sways.

The stock springs seem fine for those who don't want to alter the ride height. I think the problem is in the dampers.

The issue I have with most aftermarket springs is that they reduce travel by providing a reduced spring length. There's nothing wrong with that if someone wants the full effect of lowering the center of gravity along with a good set of dampers. But, if you want to keep the ride height and travel, the stock springs would do the trick along with proper tuned dampers.

If I keep this 135i, that is the direction I'm going with. And then use some sways to fine tune it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
instag8tr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

any suggestions on dampners and sway bar. i read something about the e46 swaybar i think is was
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
instag8tr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trip5 View Post
http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=792&page=1

25% off till the end of the month. So, about $1350 for suspension designed specifically for the 135.
you could do koni's and any springs for under 1k dinan shit is way to overpriced in my opinion. but thanks for the suggestion
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I love the BMW Performance suspension, and I've heard great things about the Dinan kit as well. Both of these provide a significant improvement over stock, will stiffen the car considerably, and not lower the car dramatically. Its probably not best bang for buck, but its only a little more expensive than a Koni set-up and will be more conservative than the eibach/yellow combo. Also, if you're concerned about travel, you can utilize shorter bump-stops or new shock mounts in the rear. Both of these items come with BMW kits, and I believe Dinan as well. You can also shave down the stock, or use different model bump stops.

You can use the M3 sways from the current model (i.e. e90, e92, and e93), not the e46. I have the e93 and it will help with body roll, but not stiffen the suspension obviously. Changing to M3 control arms will also stiffen the car and especially the steering inputs, but is a more subtle change than springs/shocks. From a cost perspective, if you're going to install just shocks or just one thing, you may have to pay for installation again if you decide to change more. So do it all at once if you have any question. Install it yourself for the ultimate cost savings, none of it is super difficult, so save the $600 install cost for better parts.

Hope this helps,

Tim
      10-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
When it comes time I'm going to get the BMW Performance suspension. For $1150 (through Dan @ United) You get new springs 0.5" lowering 34% stiffer, matching struts/shocks, new mounts front and rear, and a new front sway bar. All covered under the factory warranty. I tried pricing all that out aftermarket and it came out to well over $1150.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by instag8tr View Post
I am tired of the soft suspension . I want to know best bang for the buck what to do to the suspension. I don't really want to lower the car just stiffen it up.
Eibach Multi-Pro Coil-Over R1

That's the only suspension I know that has stiffer springs and you can set it up so there is no drop. Also, I agree with the others in this forum. If you want the whole car to feel stiffer, get a front sway bar as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

With most aftermarket coilovers you can adjust height so that the car is very close to factory height. The manufacturer will give you the specs on the min & max recommended ride height for their kit.

There are much better options out there than Dinan and BMW Perf. Koni + springs or KW coilovers would be my low cost & medium cost preferences.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
you could do koni's and any springs for under 1k dinan shit is way to overpriced in my opinion. but thanks for the suggestion
Keep in mind that Dinan's package includes the following which you do not receive with "koni's and any springs".

-Shorter bumpstops (which you will need when using a shorter spring)
-Revised rear shock mounts (which have received excellent reviews concerning ride comfort)
-Custom valved Koni sports with top adjustment front and rear (you don't have to take the rear shocks off of the car to adjust them)

In my opinion, those extras are worth $350.
      10-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
When it comes time I'm going to get the BMW Performance suspension. For $1150 (through Dan @ United) You get new springs 0.5" lowering 34% stiffer, matching struts/shocks, new mounts front and rear, and a new front sway bar. All covered under the factory warranty. I tried pricing all that out aftermarket and it came out to well over $1150.
Also, I hate giving BMW money for something that should have been on the car from the factory.
      10-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Agreed, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit, Koni Sports/H&R Sports or the H&R Cup Kit are all great solutions.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
I don't really want to lower the car just stiffen it up.
Replace the RFTs, upgrade the shocks and front swaybar.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

How do you guys feel about TCKline? A bit expensive but what exactly comes in that kit. Its all Koni stuff too right?

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
There are much better options out there than Dinan.... Koni + springs ... would be my low cost preferences.
Koni + springs is a much better option than Koni + springs + bump stops + rear shock mounts?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Koni + springs is a much better option than Koni + springs + bump stops + rear shock mounts?
I do not know for sure about a 135i's rear shock mounts, but in a e36 or e46...they take a hell of lot abuse. It is common for them to be shot in a very short time. You would be a fool to change your shocks and not change them! I mean how much more would that add to the cost of the job>? $60 for new mounts ?

Btw... I have bought my shock needs from Shox.com IF your looking for just shocks or springs you might give them a try. Personally, I would buy a BMW Performance suspension kit. It just sounds like too good of a package deal to me. PLUS it is fully tested and garrantied! Priceless IF you ask me.

1er suspension parts over at Shox.com

http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxsho...ctsdisplay.php
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
In performance terms, what would you equate the BMW perf setup to?

Are these BMW made parts, or are they rebranded parts?

It sounds like a good setup for those that don't want too much lowering and still retain that magic BMW ride for a sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
With most aftermarket coilovers you can adjust height so that the car is very close to factory height. The manufacturer will give you the specs on the min & max recommended ride height for their kit.

There are much better options out there than Dinan and BMW Perf. Koni + springs or KW coilovers would be my low cost & medium cost preferences.

What dampers would you suggest with the stock springs?

I'm interested in this route because all I want is better control over the current springs. It's a daily driver even in winter and I don't track it.
I do plan to, but it would only be a couple of sessions, nothing serious.

I haven't even over-driven the stock setup, but I do think the stock dampers are the problem in this car, so I just want something that can better control the stock springs. I find the initial compression damping a bit soft, and rebound seems too harsh/heavy. It makes the car feel a bit wallowy in initial turn in, and if a bump comes up in the middle of a turn the suspension compresses too quickly and rebound tries to correct, but again too quickly. So, in the mid corner bump the tires go up too far and then SLAM back down. Very un-BMW like.

Update:
It looks like the Koni FSD may be what I'm looking for?
Seems a lot of 3 series owners like the FSD with stock springs.
But, the 3 series is heavier than the 1, and the FSD's area also recommended for the 128i, which is lighter still.
If it is the same damper for each car, then in the 135i OEM spring setup the dampers might be to hard on rebound.
Koni also says the valving is self adjustable, so maybe it will adjust for the different spring rates between the models?

Does anyone have any reviews of this damper on stock sport springs? Can you post a link please?
Update: I did a search and found some good info. If you have a particular link you think has good info please share.
Thanks.

Also, out of curiosity, what about some of the Japanese suspensions, particularly the in-cabin adjustable setups?
Tokico, Tien, etc... It's a full coil over setup, and it has an in-cabin remote to adjust compression/rebound damping. Sounds really cool.

What about this company:
http://store.phantasmusa.com/bmw2.html

Amazing price for fully adjustable coil overs. The full set is not much more than a set of Koni FSD's, non adjustable dampers only.

Last edited by RPM90; 10-07-2010 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #21
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
In performance terms, what would you equate the BMW perf setup to?

Are these BMW made parts, or are they rebranded parts?

It sounds like a good setup for those that don't want too much lowering and still retain that magic BMW ride for a sport suspension.
I assume that the springs are like the Eibach's. BMW claims a 34% increase in stiffness. So 1/3 stiffer. I don't want even a 1" drop, so 0.5" is perfect for me, and I don't have to worry about camber plates. The struts/shocks are made by Monroe I believe, they're a well known brand and make struts/shocks for many OEM's as well as sponsor racing teams. Then to top it off they give you a new front sway bar. I really don't know anything about this part, I'm hoping its just like the stocker without the "kink" in it, ala M3 swaybar. And because its a BMW part they throw in all the little bits like new bushings, mounts, etc .. I'm really no expert on suspensions it just seemed like the best value for the money and keeping the factory warranty is also a huge plus for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I assume that the springs are like the Eibach's. BMW claims a 34% increase in stiffness. So 1/3 stiffer. I don't want even a 1" drop, so 0.5" is perfect for me, and I don't have to worry about camber plates. The struts/shocks are made by Monroe I believe, they're a well known brand and make struts/shocks for many OEM's as well as sponsor racing teams. Then to top it off they give you a new front sway bar. I really don't know anything about this part, I'm hoping its just like the stocker without the "kink" in it, ala M3 swaybar. And because its a BMW part they throw in all the little bits like new bushings, mounts, etc .. I'm really no expert on suspensions it just seemed like the best value for the money and keeping the factory warranty is also a huge plus for me.
Monroe, really?

They have been in the market for years. But, they are not usually associated with "upgrade" aftermarket bits, more along the lines of OEM replacement. But, they are a seasoned builder so I'm sure they can build to BMW specs. And, the proof is in the pudding. If they work well, then it doesn't matter what the brand is.

For some reason, I seem to remember that Bilstien was/is the OEM manufacturer for BMW?
Maybe I remember wrong, or that has changed.
Appreciate 0