BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #23
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline1488 View Post
Rick, I'm running a JB4 on my '08 and having problems with the gauge. I have version 2.0. With the JB4 set to map "zero/bypass" it works fine. However, on any of the maps, under load, it shuts off.

I inquired about upgrading through your site last week and have yet to hear back from anyone. What are the options in terms of updating it myself or sending it back and getting a new one (v2.1)? This gauge cost $440 and it's a shame that it doesn't work with tunes. I don't mind paying a little more for expedited shipping. Heck, I'll even send you next day return postage if it helps. In the past, shipping times have been an issue. What can we do? Where can I set my expectations in regards to getting this fixed?
I recommend updating your JB4 to the latest firmware http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605 (see bottom of first post) as this should fix any issues you are having. I am running the v2.0 with this firmware and am having no issues at all.

If you are still having any issues you can contact Rick directly on rick@p3cars.com
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #24
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline1488 View Post
Rick, I'm running a JB4 on my '08 and having problems with the gauge. I have version 2.0. With the JB4 set to map "zero/bypass" it works fine. However, on any of the maps, under load, it shuts off.

I inquired about upgrading through your site last week and have yet to hear back from anyone. What are the options in terms of updating it myself or sending it back and getting a new one (v2.1)? This gauge cost $440 and it's a shame that it doesn't work with tunes. I don't mind paying a little more for expedited shipping. Heck, I'll even send you next day return postage if it helps. In the past, shipping times have been an issue. What can we do? Where can I set my expectations in regards to getting this fixed?
I've already replied to your support ticket on our site.

We need to address this for what it is... a jb4 issue, your gauge is not broken. Anything I do to fix this issue is a workaround to basically fix what the jb4 broke in terms of communications with the ECU. That being said, I want jb4 users to be able to use their gauge, as they originally were able to when we released the gauge.

In Aug of 2011 BMS released a software update to the JB4 that changed the way it communicated on the canbus. After this software update from BMS the jb4 essentially blocks the gauge from talking to the ECU. It's not a problem with the gauge, it's a problem with the jb4. I tracked down a jb4 car and logged it to see what was going on, and basically, unlike other tunes like the procede, which works fine with the gauge, the jb4 sends constant canbus requests without waiting for a reply first... kind of like if I kept yelling "hello!, hello!, hello!" and never waited for an "i'm here" before sending the next "hello"... this leaves no gaps for the gauge, or any other device on the diagnostics connection, to talk to the ECU. The data is there, but it gets delayed beyond obd2 specifications. There is nothing wrong with doing it that way, it just isn't "standard"

The only way to fix this was for me to force the gauge to go against OBD2 standards and wait longer for a reply from the ecu, and send multiple requests before that timeout was reached... this was not possible with my current canbus chipset because it forced me to follow standards.

I will be offering a $75 update which basically doesn't even cover parts and shipping for a new control box to people who purchased the v2 from me, I would essentially be taking a loss... but I care about my customers and want to help my customers who have already paid me for the gauge, and would like to update to the new hardware which fixes the jb4 issue. We will require users to send in their old control box along with their original order receipt from us.

-Rick
Appreciate 0