BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Any thing out there after full bolt-ons?

Hey all, haven't been in the loop as much as I'd like over the last year or so. I've got headers, bmw PE rear silencer, 3 stage manifold, an intake + scoops, MILVs and BPC tune on my n52 right now.

I recall seeing an ESS supercharger kit a while back, but from what I saw there weren't many people who bought one, got it running right, and kept it long term. Any happier stories on that front recently?

Also vaguely remember reading that Shrick might be coming out with camshafts, not sure how accurate that was.

Is there anything else that's somewhat tried & tested for the n52 right now, head porting, larger valves, a well-sorted supercharger kit or whatever? Haven't turned up much by searching.

thanks for any insight.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I'm sure I'll get a series of unhappy replies to this but....

If you're looking into investing in forced induction, why not just go 135i? You can swap any non-engine parts over to the car and just have the speed/power/reliability that you won't have with a supercharged N52. It'll also be considerably cheaper than the engine work you brought up.
      12-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I'm sure I'll get a series of unhappy replies to this but....

If you're looking into investing in forced induction, why not just go 135i? You can swap any non-engine parts over to the car and just have the speed/power/reliability that you won't have with a supercharged N52. It'll also be considerably cheaper than the engine work you brought up.
I tend to agree with you but playing "Devil's Advocate"...

Plus reasons to go with a supercharged N52

Much better fuel economy
More linear power curve. N52 pulls like a diesel.
No HPFP failure
Does not eat spark plugs and coils for breakfast
No injector problems
No turbo waste-gate issues
Lighter

Negative reason:
There are plenty, some one else can post these.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
E30ROB is on E85 with S65 injectors, has the N54 intake manifold (the shorter runners boost top-end power, and it doesn't have the resonance issues at said high RPMs that the 3-Stage does) and is making 252whp N/A, while shooting flames and making all the right race car sounds.

We're working on the next steps after that; he's going ahead with S54 ITB's and velocity stacks (I wanted to, but the cost is a little much right now), and I'm looking into cutting the plenum off of a standard intake manifold (non 3-Stage) and running like that. BPC made 280whp N/A with the cut-up manifold...

Staying N/A, the only really big gains to be had are with good cams, and some custom tuning (over-the-shelf tunes are conservative to work in every car). The N52 head is already incredibly well-tuned, and can support more power than the engine internals would be good for.

Going turbo, BPC is making a reliable 500whp on 11-12psi of boost in an E90 328i track car. I haven't heard much on the ESS supercharger, though, which may speak to its reputation.

Last edited by chris_flies; 12-11-2018 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

The one thing no one has said yet, is ESS says you cant run headers with the supercharger...

"The 3 stage DISA manifold from the 330/530, etc works fine with this kit and we have developed software to perfectly integrate this functionality on cars not originally equipped with this manifold. Do NOT under any circumstance run headers on the N52 engine, this generates a massive O2 feedback timing issue and incorrect AFR control as a result. This can cause catastrophic failure when combined with boost! We will not support any issues whatsoever on a N52 equipped with aftermarket headers. "
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
The one thing no one has said yet, is ESS says you cant run headers with the supercharger...

"The 3 stage DISA manifold from the 330/530, etc works fine with this kit and we have developed software to perfectly integrate this functionality on cars not originally equipped with this manifold. Do NOT under any circumstance run headers on the N52 engine, this generates a massive O2 feedback timing issue and incorrect AFR control as a result. This can cause catastrophic failure when combined with boost! We will not support any issues whatsoever on a N52 equipped with aftermarket headers. "
BPC made a tune combining headers and the SC and managed to make way more power too

it's relatively minor but you could switch over to a Euro maf/maf delete tune
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
I tend to agree with you but playing "Devil's Advocate"...

Plus reasons to go with a supercharged N52

Much better fuel economy
More linear power curve. N55* pulls like a diesel.

No HPFP failure
Does not eat spark plugs and coils for breakfast
No injector problems
No turbo waste-gate issues
Lighter

Negative reason:
There are plenty, some one else can post these.
I can confirm a few of these. I have an M235 with the newer and bigger electronic wastegate turbo, and while it pulls better than the older pneumatic wastegate turbos, it's still lacking significantly at top end.

I would give up some torque for better top end on this car...
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Thank you guys, much appreciated. Will give this some more thought
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
Hey all, haven't been in the loop as much as I'd like over the last year or so. I've got headers, bmw PE rear silencer, 3 stage manifold, an intake + scoops, MILVs and BPC tune on my n52 right now.

I recall seeing an ESS supercharger kit a while back, but from what I saw there weren't many people who bought one, got it running right, and kept it long term. Any happier stories on that front recently?

Also vaguely remember reading that Shrick might be coming out with camshafts, not sure how accurate that was.

Is there anything else that's somewhat tried & tested for the n52 right now, head porting, larger valves, a well-sorted supercharger kit or whatever? Haven't turned up much by searching.

thanks for any insight.
do you have a dyno of your car?
Appreciate 0