BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #155
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

Word is getting about: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/£...ro-two-minutes
Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, Ohlins R&T suspension, Supersprint Exhaust, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #156
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-manuk
And in The Times - In Gear section. Double page spread.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #157
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Slightly off topic, but what about the old fashioned bits like physical locking? I have the wheel club, which is not the best protection (can be hacksawed or used as a lever to crack the steering wheel).

But what about this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Winner...nal/WI491.html
      08-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #158
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

It gets worse:

http://nieuwsuur.nl/onderwerp/403997...te-stelen.html

in short: Dutch university wiz kids have cracked the starter-cut-off coding. BMW series 1, 5, 6 and 7 (and many many other brands) involved.

NXP (previously Philips semicon) admits the chip is not safe and has adviced customers to upgrade. They put the responsibility for upgrading to a safer chip (or not upgrading in our case) with the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #159
DJshabba
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

I think if you do own a 1M, you need a garage with a pad luck or alarm...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #160
dutycalls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

Now on BBC watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19562487
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #161
Isdaako
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Well, I was certainly unaware of this, but the "Youtube" has known for sometime.

Ah... the perils of enlightenment.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #162
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutycalls
Now on BBC watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19562487
just caught it on tv. interesting to hear bmw are now contacting customers...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #163
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutycalls View Post

"We are already in the process of enhancing the protection of pre-September 2011 X5 and X6 models and have been contacting owners and carrying out the necessary work accordingly.

"None of our latest models - new 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series - nor any other BMW built after September 2011 can be stolen using the method highlighted."

Humm... I wonder why cars built pre-Sept '11 would be more vulnerable? I thought it was ALL bmw's that could have their key fob "cloned". ???
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #164
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolen1m View Post
My BMW 1M stolen without keys in 3 minutes! This is a video of a £43,000 BMW 1M Stolen at 3am in 3 minutes. The thieves accomplished this by accessing the BMW OBD port in the footwell by breaking the glass, reaching in and using a device to reprogram a blank key fob. The car was simply then unlocked and pushed off the drive and driven away.

BMW doesn't seem to want to admit they have a problem, even though over 300 cars have been stolen in March 2012 in a single UK county.

Additional info by Dackelone:
These guys must be big motherf**kers. I hope police catch them and punish them to maximum effect. Feel sorry about you and your car..

Best
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #165
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

So in conclusion, is this issue only isolated to BMWs sold within the EU?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #166
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiningnova View Post
So in conclusion, is this issue only isolated to BMWs sold within the EU?

Afraid not, there is a report of the same type of theft using the same equipment in Queensland Aus......
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #167
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List

What about using a speedport and selecting theft mode? surely if they made another key you will not be able to start the car unless you unlock it from your phone?

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #168
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F31

So i've disabled my OBD port on the car by switching the wire/pin arrangement behind the socket.....

Then we've got a male / female extension lead, spliced into its central loom and switched back the corrected pin wires that we modified on the car. So now when the car goes into the dealer or tuner I can simply give them the 'correcting' lead and it allows full functionality of the disabled OBD port!

1) I'll sleep easier at night!
2) The OBD socket on the car CAN NOT be read or interogated in any way!
3) I have an OBD wiring correction lead to keep at home / work in case the car needs to go to a dealers which makes the OBD readable again.
4) I am the only person who knows which wires / pins have been switched around.

If anyone else is interested in this my business will be offering it as a service in our workshop to all BMW owners. I own a garage which helps! http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ABPMotorsport

Cheers, Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #169
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

ChrisABP, i may be calling on you very soon. Tried a Milltek yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #170
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upturn666 View Post
ChrisABP, i may be calling on you very soon. Tried a Milltek yet?
Fitted a full system on my car last week and very impressed. Waiting for it to carbon up before posting a video clip on here and facebook. Milltek are also making me a centre section without a silencer to see if its something we should be offering as an ABP exclusive....

So much happier now the OBD issue is isolated on my car

Cheers, Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #171
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

How are the springs? Better than stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ABP View Post
Fitted a full system on my car last week and very impressed. Waiting for it to carbon up before posting a video clip on here and facebook. Milltek are also making me a centre section without a silencer to see if its something we should be offering as an ABP exclusive....

So much happier now the OBD issue is isolated on my car

Cheers, Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #172
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
How are the springs? Better than stock?
Whilst I liked the standard 1M suspension feel what I didn't like was the large gap on the front and the very firm almost abrupt ride quality.

Being an Eibach dealer I've used them on lots of previous cars and driven many customer cars before and after with quite amazing results so an Eibach Pro-Kit was one of the first things on my mods list....

Ride height is now perfect coming down -25mm on the front and -10mm on the rear but the most impressive thing is the refinement its brought to the ride quality - still firm but so much more compliant over typical UK bumpy road surfaces making it a much nicer car to drive in 'normal' conditions. Overall very impressed and well worth the money.

Keep an eye on ABP Motorsport facebook page for updates and i'll start a topic on here too.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #173
Slappymangooze
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupé

Hello, the same just happened to me last night in the Uk As well just north of hyde park.
BMW doesn't care, I posted a message on BMW UK's fan club thinking that enthousiast might want to help, but they turned my message down. This is so sad. I saw the care leaving from the 6th floor. I jumped to the window as soon as I heard its noise and called the police immediately. They got there in less than 5 minutes. I'm really sad, Poor baby.
      11-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #174
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappymangooze View Post
Hello, the same just happened to me last night in the Uk As well just north of hyde park.
BMW doesn't care, I posted a message on BMW UK's fan club thinking that enthousiast might want to help, but they turned my message down. This is so sad. I saw the care leaving from the 6th floor. I jumped to the window as soon as I heard its noise and called the police immediately. They got there in less than 5 minutes. I'm really sad, Poor baby.
Very sorry to hear this. Your car is also pre September 2011 production? And is it a rhd or lhd?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #175
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappymangooze View Post
So sad to hear.

To anyone reading this thread, you can purchase the OBD port from BMW for under $7, and in less than a half hours time you can hide the port from plain sight and replace with the dummy one. A simple thing for a great deal of peace and mind.....

So glad I did this... These stories and the thought of it happening to mine are not something I want to have to think too much about
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #176
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
"We are already in the process of enhancing the protection of pre-September 2011 X5 and X6 models and have been contacting owners and carrying out the necessary work accordingly.

"None of our latest models - new 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series - nor any other BMW built after September 2011 can be stolen using the method highlighted."

Humm... I wonder why cars built pre-Sept '11 would be more vulnerable? I thought it was ALL bmw's that could have their key fob "cloned". ???
pre-September at risk, after September is fine, what about September '11 build cars. Is the BMW UK press guy just sloppy by not saying "from September", or ... Perhaps only really of interest to owners of September 2011 build cars.
Appreciate 0