BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Lightbulb Need Help: N55 135i stalled by itself!

Hi guys, I just want to share my experience with my car. I did the battery recall about a year ago and my trips are completely the same on before and after the recall. The first problem came in when the AC and radio suddenly turned off by itself and few days later the engine stalled by itself after dropping the RPM below the normal idling range. Luckily I was in a parking structure when that thing happened. I brought my car to the dealership and they told me that I had to many short trips and made the battery not recharging properly where in fact my trips are exactly the same as before I did the battery recall.

Yesterday after I went back from 75 miles trip I went through a parking lot and when I applied the brake for a speed bump, the engine again cut off by itself after dropping the rpm. The radio and AC were still on, so its just the engine that went off. The gear shifted to N by itself and I can crank the engine again right away.

Any of you can chime on this problem? Is it possible that this problem caused by the battery recall? I am going back to the dealership next Tuesday to report this problem.
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Does the vehicle only seem to exhibit the problem when in stop and go situations / low speed?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Does the vehicle only seem to exhibit the problem when in stop and go situations / low speed?
Yes! Those two stalled problems happen when I applied the brake and my speed is below 10 mph. Is it something related with dme update?
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Yes! Those two stalled problems happen when I applied the brake and my speed is below 10 mph. Is it something related with dme update?
Yes. Very common issue, i'd recommend heading to your dealer and tell them what's going on.. Most likely they'll update the software.
      02-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Known problem:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675318
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Yep. OP, read that thread and take the bulletin to your dealer for the software update.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
So the worst thing that might happen is they will update my software?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
Yep. OP, read that thread and take the bulletin to your dealer for the software update.
I will probably do that. I am just curious about the priming noise when you unlock the car after the engine off for at least an hour. I realize that the priming sound gets longer compared to a year ago or when I got the car. Is there any possibility that this stall issue relates with that fuel pump thingy? Because I heard the priming noise is actually the low fuel pump or whatever it is priming the fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
Yes. Very common issue, i'd recommend heading to your dealer and tell them what's going on.. Most likely they'll update the software.
Most people said they were unhappy with their cars after the dealer update the software, have you heard about that? I just want to know if the software update makes so much difference just like other people said.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will probably do that. I am just curious about the priming noise when you unlock the car after the engine off for at least an hour. I realize that the priming sound gets longer compared to a year ago or when I got the car. Is there any possibility that this stall issue relates with that fuel pump thingy? Because I heard the priming noise is actually the low fuel pump or whatever it is priming the fuel.
The fuel pump priming is normal. It's loud and apparent.

The update that people refer to as making the car sound and perform different is not the update required for the transmission. However, they will most likely update both if/when you take it in. Be sure to bring the SIB for them as it's apparently hard to find in their system.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
bmw0bsession
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
The priming sound is completely normal, I usually don't fully power my car up for about 20 seconds while I let the fuel pump build up pressure. I had to get a software update and that helped the issue with stalling. My rough idle and lag when slowing down went away completely when I got aftermarket mid pipes, don't ask me why but it worked.
BMW Performance Kidney Grille, CF Lip Spoiler, CF Diffusser, Blackline LCI Tailights, Magnaflow Full Exhaust, BMS Intake, Jb4 w/ E85, Meth Injection, BMS DP, VRSF 5" Intercooler, CP-E Charge Pipe, KW CS Coilover, M3 Subframe Bushings, VMR VB3 Wheels, Stage 2 Fuel Pump, M3 Control Arms, Dinan Camber Plates, Pure Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The fuel pump priming is normal. It's loud and apparent.

The update that people refer to as making the car sound and perform different is not the update required for the transmission. However, they will most likely update both if/when you take it in. Be sure to bring the SIB for them as it's apparently hard to find in their system.
Okay, is there any other update other than the transmission? By the way, what is SIB? Just curious if this problem might come due to weather issue. Last year winter was totally fine but this year winter is completely crazy with many days in my area reaching 32F.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0bsession
The priming sound is completely normal, I usually don't fully power my car up for about 20 seconds while I let the fuel pump build up pressure. I had to get a software update and that helped the issue with stalling. My rough idle and lag when slowing down went away completely when I got aftermarket mid pipes, don't ask me why but it worked.
That's good for you if its gone after you got MP! My car is completely stock in terms of engine except for axle back. I know it shouldn't be the fuel pump since it cranks strongly everytime I push the start button (no hesitation) and the idling issue also comes once in a while not crazy 5 days a week as a symptom of fuel pump
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, is there any other update other than the transmission? By the way, what is SIB? Just curious if this problem might come due to weather issue. Last year winter was totally fine but this year winter is completely crazy with many days in my area reaching 32F.
Read the thread. Most/all your questions will be answered in the link above.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
Gray330iForSale
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0bsession View Post

You don't need to let your fuel pump build up pressure. The car is equipped with a check valve, keeping pressure in the lines. The low pressure fuel pump builds to 60-70psi immediately upon turning the key on. You are just wasting the battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #16
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
Read the thread. Most/all your questions will be answered in the link above.
So basically what's on the pdf is to let them aware about the latest update right? or there is more up to date update? I will definitely print it out and let them know about it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #17
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Just bring my car to the dealer and the tech understood what I am trying to say about the idling and stalling. You know what? They do not aware about this issue and luckily I brough the bulletin info as suggested by cheshirecat!

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just bring my car to the dealer and the tech understood what I am trying to say about the idling and stalling. You know what? They do not aware about this issue and luckily I brough the bulletin info as suggested by cheshirecat!
Thanks guys!
Great, let us know your impressions once they get it sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #19
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks guys!
Great, let us know your impressions once they get it sorted out.
Sure. They are still working on it, so as soon as I get her back, I will let you guys know. Glad that the dealer is 18 miles away so that I can feel the difference
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, finally got her back after an issue so they had to reboot the software update. Inital impression is GREAT! It drives and shifts smoother now. I haven't open the window to really hear the crack and pops but if it shifts smoother, no wonder if the cracks and pops lessen a bit.

The drive on 1st gear shifts higher than before even if I put it on D, maybe its too prevent jarring acceleration in traffic. One more thing I really notice is how the hill assist system works better. Usually the hill asisst does not kick in really quick and sensitive but now it works like a champ everytime you put 1/2 or more pressure to the brake pedal.

The other thing is the audio. I don't have a nav system so I see any kind of channel from that small orange box and now it has the song title and singer's name on it!

So far I haven't driven it on S or manual mode but it is a bit more responsive so it might be the reason that S mode is not too different.

I will report back after I drive it for more miles and on other modes.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #21
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Guys, I just started the car in the morning and it is indeed quieter than before. Usually the rpm went to 1500 but after the update it goes to 1100-1200. Nothing wrong with it, but just quieter start up and idle once the car fully warmed up. Luckily I have Meisterschaft GT exhaust, so it does not really affect me. I also notice that the car becomes more responsive with your response on the pedal, just what I expect from this update.

If any of you notice my previous thread about long crank and long priming noise, the update has helped me solve that problem. It cranks pretty much right away even this cold morning and the priming sound also like the first time when I got the car.

Last thing that I will comment on is about the 1st gear. Sorry guys, it is very wet week in Davis so I can't really try to drive in S or M but I will try to put on the sport mode once I have the chance to do so. In 1st gear especially in traffic, you can feel that when you let off the gas, the car is kind of shaking or like sudden acceleration but now it is much much smoother even in the traffic.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #22
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

sounds great- I'm sure you'll like it more when things get a little more dry. Glad it worked out.
Appreciate 0