01-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #23
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M white

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The most current model listed according to real oem and the coil thread is 12138657273. I had read that BMW had changed the manufacturer for N54 Coils to Eldor.

See the lookup in real OEM. The current part number is: 12138657273

I then looked up what that part number fits and it clearly states N54 US 1M Coupe.

I then looked up your part number 12138616153, and it appears to be an older version that goes back to the E46 M3 and is only listed for the N55 135i.

That is a different motor. It will most likely be OK but for the rest of us that will change them, I wanted to add this to make sure that people get the best, most current part number and coil.

BMW parts guys make mistakes too. A lot of them just assume 1M is same as 135i but 135i also came with N55 motor.

I also checked ECS and it does show the 153 for the 1M, so as I said, it is probably fine but the Eldor is the latest iteration. Since the old ones failed early, I would prefer to take my chances with the newer ones in case BMW changed manufacturer because of the high failure rate.
Good information all around for us all. I will call the BMW dealer on Monday and try to confirm the difference between these parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #24
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The most current model listed according to real oem and the coil thread is 12138657273. I had read that BMW had changed the manufacturer for N54 Coils to Eldor.

See the lookup in real OEM. The current part number is: 12138657273

I then looked up what that part number fits and it clearly states N54 US 1M Coupe.

I then looked up your part number 12138616153, and it appears to be an older version that goes back to the E46 M3 and is only listed for the N55 135i.

That is a different motor. It will most likely be OK but for the rest of us that will change them, I wanted to add this to make sure that people get the best, most current part number and coil.

BMW parts guys make mistakes too. A lot of them just assume 1M is same as 135i but 135i also came with N55 motor.

I also checked ECS and it does show the 153 for the 1M, so as I said, it is probably fine but the Eldor is the latest iteration. Since the old ones failed early, I would prefer to take my chances with the newer ones in case BMW changed manufacturer because of the high failure rate.
Good information all around for us all. I will call the BMW dealer on Monday and try to confirm the difference between these parts.
Please update us with what you find. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #25
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep

All right. I checked back with the BMW dealer on the above parts information. They acknowledged right away the Eldor brand as a newer version but explained that BMW no longer uses them due to reliability issues. They explained that no BMW dealer uses them anymore and they all keep the Delphi brand in stock and use that since they believe to be more reliable so they went back to them. They also are used all across the bmw lineup on various models and do fit both n54, n55 etc etc. they explained the Eldor was used initially and they went back to Delphi afterwards. Just FYI. I’m not going to over complicate and use what I got and see how it goes.
Appreciate 4
JP-1M171.00
nachob2307.00
ayao627.50
///BYU268.50
      01-29-2018, 11:21 PM   #26
stormchaser7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Glad you got things sorted out. Plugs and coils are easy. Lots of diy posts online. If they don't solve the misfire issue, your next thing to look at is the injectors. Walnut blast will help too. You will notice a much better throttle response after doing a walnut blast. High pressure fuel pump can cause misfire issues as well. Invest in a fault code reader. Carly works great and can code features as well.
      02-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #27
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I had something almost identical happen the other day. This is a good thread so I want to add to it instead of creating a new one.

I was cruising along between 2,000-3,000 rpm and decided to accelerate. I didn't floor it, but I did accelerate somewhat briskly. Just after depressing the accelerator, I felt power cut out twice in rapid succession. It almost felt like traction control was intervening when it shouldn't have been.

The same thing had happened a couple of days before under the same circumstances, so I decided to see if I could reproduce the problem again. I accelerated again (this time even more briskly - and without backing off right away like I had the previous two times). This time, I felt a definite shudder / stutter / stumble / loss of power AND the check engine light came on.

I wasn't expecting a check engine light and I wasn't really close to home. Right away, I went into the gentlest / smoothest cruise mode I could manage, while still going the speed limit. As long as I was cruising along, everything was normal, but I was getting a misfire with even less acceleration than before. I did what I could to avoid putting load on the engine. On iDrive, Vehicle Info >> Vehicle status >> Check Control showed "All systems OK," which I thought was interesting since I had a CEL. I had about 5 miles to go before I arrived at a meeting I was going to. Driving very gently, the check engine light went off on its own just before I arrived at my destination.

After my meeting, I had a 14-mile drive home. The car started up just fine, no check engine light, and I had an uneventful drive home. I definitely took it easy and, thankfully, didn't feel any misfiring.

I have Carly for BMW, so when I got home I connected it and ran the diagnostic. There was a fault - 0x29CF: Misfire, cylinder 3: injection is switched off. The freeze frame data show that the fault was recorded at 53,980 miles / 86,872 km, so I'm guessing the fault code is from the first time I noticed the problem, a few days before I actually got the check engine light. It also shows my engine speed at the time of the fault was 3,488 rpm and the engine temp was 93.75 C / 201 F. I think the "injection is switched off" note in the fault code indicates a preventative measure programmed into the engine software, not necessarily a problem with the fuel injection.

My (completely stock) 1M has 54,013 miles / 86,925 km and the spark plugs were changed at 28,160 miles / 45,319 km (25,853 miles / 41,606 km ago).

I think my options come down to the following:

Spark plug quantity: Planning to replace all 6 since I'm close to the replacement interval anyway UPDATE: Replaced all 6 spark plugs

Spark plug brand: Planning on Bosch, but will think about NGK UPDATE: Went with BMW OE spark plugs (12 12 0 037 244) made by Bosch. These are the factory spark plugs for the 1M

Ignition coil quantity: Will do a little more research to decide if I want to just replace the coil for cylinder #3 or go ahead and replace them all. Leaning toward replacing them all, since I'm likely to go with Delphi or Eldor and I want all 6 coils to be the same brand (I'm guessing the original 2011 coils from the factory are made by Bosch) UPDATE Replaced all 6 ignition coils

Ignition coil brand: Bosch, Eldor, or Delphi. Leaning away from Bosch, will likely choose between Eldor and Delphi UPDATE: Went with Delphi (GN10571-12B1). This is the same part as the BMW OE ignition coils (12 13 8 616 153) made by Delphi and specified for the S55 (and also N55) engine. After doing some online research - and according to Eagle01's dealer (see posts #25 and #32 of this thread) - this seems like the best ignition coil for the N54 at the moment

Media blast / walnut blast: I was planning on doing this at around 60,000 miles / 100,000 km anyway. Rather than do it at the same time as replacing the plugs and coil(s), I'll probably wait a few weeks / months for two reasons. First, I'm curious to know if replacing the plugs and coil(s) solves the misfire problem - or if media blasting was really what I needed all along. Second, I want to know how much of a difference media blasting makes to how my car drives; I want to isolate this so any improvements can be clearly attributed to media blasting and not other changes that were made at the same time.

Fuel injectors: I'm only going to look at replacing injectors if new plugs, new coils, and media blasting don't solve the problem, which I'm pretty confident they will. Hoping I don't have to do anything with the fuel injectors because they're expensive little guys.

I'll update this post as I go.

Last edited by ///BYU; 02-22-2018 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 3
JP-1M171.00
nachob2307.00
ayao627.50
      02-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #28
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
I had something almost identical happen the other day. This is a good thread so I want to add to it instead of creating a new one.

I was cruising along between 2,000-3,000 rpm and decided to accelerate. I didn't floor it, but I did accelerate somewhat briskly. Just after depressing the accelerator, I felt power cut out twice in rapid succession. It almost felt like traction control was intervening when it shouldn't have been.

The same thing had happened a couple of days before under the same circumstances, so I decided to see if I could reproduce the problem again. I accelerated again (this time even more briskly - and without backing off right away like I had the previous two times). This time, I felt a definite shudder / stutter / stumble / loss of power AND the check engine light came on.

I wasn't expecting a check engine light and I wasn't really close to home. Right away, I went into the gentlest / smoothest cruise mode I could manage, while still going the speed limit. As long as I was cruising along, everything was normal, but I was getting a misfire with even less acceleration than before. I did what I could to avoid putting load on the engine. On iDrive, Vehicle Info >> Vehicle status >> Check Control showed "All systems OK," which I thought was interesting since I had a CEL. I had about 5 miles to go before I arrived at a meeting I was going to. Driving very gently, the check engine light went off on its own just before I arrived at my destination.

After my meeting, I had a 14-mile drive home. The car started up just fine, no check engine light, and I had an uneventful drive home. I definitely took it easy and, thankfully, didn't feel any misfiring.

I have Carly for BMW, so when I got home I connected it and ran the diagnostic. There was a fault - 0x29CF: Misfire, cylinder 3: injection is switched off. The freeze frame data show that the fault was recorded at 53,980 miles / 86,872 km, so I'm guessing the fault code is from the first time I noticed the problem, a few days before I actually got the check engine light. It also shows my engine speed at the time of the fault was 3,488 rpm and the engine temp was 93.75 C / 201 F. I think the "injection is switched off" note in the fault code indicates a preventative measure programmed into the engine software, not necessarily a problem with the fuel injection.

My (completely stock) 1M has 54,013 miles / 86,925 km and the spark plugs were changed at 28,160 miles / 45,319 km (25,853 miles / 41,606 km ago).

Spark plug quantity: Planning to replace all 6 since I'm close to the replacement interval anyway

Spark plug brand: Planning on Bosch, but will think about NGK

Ignition coil quantity: Will do a little more research to decide if I want to just replace the coil for cylinder #3 or go ahead and replace them all. Leaning toward replacing them all, since I'm likely to go with Delphi or Eldor and I want all 6 coils to be the same brand (I'm guessing the original 2011 coils from the factory are made by Bosch)

Ignition coil brand: Bosch, Eldor, or Delphi. Leaning away from Bosch, will likely choose between Eldor and Delphi

Media blast / walnut blast: I was planning on doing this at around 60,000 miles / 100,000 km anyway. Rather than do it at the same time as replacing the plugs and coil(s), I'll probably wait a few weeks / months for two reasons. First, I'm curious to know if replacing the plugs and coil(s) solves the misfire problem - or if media blasting was really what I needed all along. Second, I want to know how much of a difference media blasting makes to how my car drives; I want to isolate this so any improvements can be clearly attributed to media blasting and not other changes that were made at the same time.

Fuel injectors: I'm only going to look at replacing injectors if new plugs, new coils, and media blasting don't solve the problem, which I'm pretty confident they will. Hoping I don't have to do anything with the fuel injectors because they're expensive little guys.

Look forward to the update and would love to know who does walnut blasting local to us both.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #29
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
Look forward to the update and would love to know who does walnut blasting local to us both.
RE: Walnut blasting - I've contacted a few places already and will let you know what I find out once people get back to me.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      02-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #30
stormchaser7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
RE: Walnut blasting - I've contacted a few places already and will let you know what I find out once people get back to me.
You will notice a definite improvement in acceleration after a walnut blast
      02-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #31
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Spark plug quantity: Planning to replace all 6 since I'm close to the replacement interval anyway

Spark plug brand: Planning on Bosch, but will think about NGK

Ignition coil quantity: Will do a little more research to decide if I want to just replace the coil for cylinder #3 or go ahead and replace them all. Leaning toward replacing them all, since I'm likely to go with Delphi or Eldor and I want all 6 coils to be the same brand (I'm guessing the original 2011 coils from the factory are made by Bosch)

Ignition coil brand: Bosch, Eldor, or Delphi. Leaning away from Bosch, will likely choose between Eldor and Delphi

Great post! Thank you. These are the ones that really make this forum valuable. They can help you troubleshoot based on these great descriptions.

As an owner doing the work, it makes sense to replace both plugs and coils. To me this does sound like a coil going bad more than plugs. It would make sense to replace all of them based on mileage.

As a tech person, and in the interest of "science" it would better to just replace the coils first to see how it idles and runs, then the plugs. That's of course just looking at it with my IT mind. Replacing the coils with the same Bosch plugs is probably the best real world test because I really don't think the plugs would cause this and it's close enough.

If you change the coils to Eldor or Delphi and also throw in NGK plugs all at the same time. You won't really be able to tell if something caused an improvement or if performance degraded, what caused it.

I would recommend replacing all the coils with the same BMW Bosch plugs to take away one variable and see how things run with your new coils.

I have done a few plug changes on E46 325i and 330i over the years. My best friend is also an independent Mercedes BMW mechanic. The E46 came with NGKs and I switched them to Bosch in the same heat range, etc. The idle was worse with the Bosch plugs. I thought maybe they weren't gapped as I was told they were. I sold that car and bought a 330i ZHP. It also came with NGKs and I got a set of Bosch plugs again thinking this time I will double check the gap. I did and they were gapped fine. I put them in and same thing. Idle not as good. Embarrased I reached out to my mechanic friend and told him what happened. He said, I wish I would've asked him first. He had run into the same issue on E46s going from NGK to Bosch and had even taken brand new ones out for a customer replaced them again with a warranty set of Bosch and no difference . Then he put the NGK plugs and it ran like perfectly. He has stopped changing between brands on BMWs now.

I personally have not heard of NGKs causing an issue, but I have seen Bosch plugs cause an issue in cars that came with NGK so I cannot say that Bosch has a problem. What I can deduce from this is that our cars are very complicated machines and changing spark plug brands CAN cause idle or other issues so for a good test of the coils, I would stay with the same brand, heat range and gap as the plugs in the car.

If anyone reading this has in fact changed their Bosch plugs to NGK without any other change. Let us know what your experience was.

Thank you.
Appreciate 2
JP-1M171.00
///BYU268.50
      02-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #32
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep

Update..
I changed all the coils and plugs. After talking to the certified technician at bmw dealer, he explained again that Bosch plugs with bmw logo and Delphi coils are the best you can have for our cars. I also came across some great news for us 1M owners. Due to know issues BMW has extended the warranty on all injectors used on bmw from 2009 and on to 10 years from when purchased new. Although I got all new sparks and coils, I explained that I wanted the injectors replaced because I still felt that the car was rough at idle. Guess what ????
They honored it and bam 6 new injectors under warranty. I can’t be any happier. The car is like new.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      02-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #33
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I updated my post (#27) with red text. Here are some additional details:

Spark plugs: BMW OE spark plugs (12 12 0 037 244) made by Bosch. These are the factory spark plugs for the 1M.

Ignition coils: Delphi (GN10571-12B1). This is the same part as the BMW OE ignition coils (12 13 8 616 153) made by Delphi and specified for the S55 (and also N55) engine. After doing some online research - and according to Eagle01's dealer (see posts #25 and #32 of this thread) - this seems like the best ignition coil for the N54 at the moment.

Note: The above parts are also exactly what Eagle01 used, but I think he purchased his ignition coils from BMW in the BMW box.

Before starting the project, I went for a drive so I could have a baseline to compare to after I finished. I got the car up to temp and tried replicating the misfire (again) by accelerating from 2,750 rpm in 4th gear. The engine began to misfire at 3,100 rpm and the check engine light came on. The check engine light went out after a short time, so I accelerated from 2,750 in 3rd gear. Same thing. I went home and ran the diagnostic using Carly for BMW and once again had the misfire for cylinder #3.

After letting the car cool down (important), I got started. The project took me two hours start to finish. I was definitely taking it slow because (a) first time, (b) it was cold(!), and (c) I took the opportunity to wipe the dust and grime off a few engine bay parts with a microfiber towel while I had the engine cover off.

I take my time when I'm working on cars (it's quiet and nobody bothers me, unlike when I'm inside our house, lol), but if I wanted to, I could probably do the job in 75 minutes or so.

Some observations. I think you'll definitely want a 9-10" socket extension. I had a 6" extension and it wasn't very helpful for cylinders #5 and #6. I was able to get #5 done with the 6" extension, but I actually went and bought a 10" extension because I needed the clearance for my torque wrench on cylinder #6. There's a strut tower brace that makes it a little difficult to get to cylinders #5 and #6 without a 9-10" socket extension.

This was the first time I've removed the engine cover. In the process removing / moving some things around to get to the engine cover, I noticed a couple of plastic clips had been broken previously (last time the spark plugs were changed at the dealer?). Frustrating, but what can you do? Everything is still 100% functional, but now that I know about it, I'll track down what I need and replace the parts. Moral of the story - be careful.

Overall it was an easy DIY job, pretty relaxing, and very gratifying.

And most importantly, no more misfiring and my 1M runs like a champ again!

nachob I hear you about doing the spark plugs first and then the coils to isolate the cause. That would definitely be ideal but I didn't feel like putting everything back together twice. I did stick with the OE spark plugs like you recommended so the only part number that changed was for the ignition coils. Everything seems perfect, so I think it's safe to say the Delphi coils are okay to use for the N54.
Appreciate 3
ayao627.50
JP-1M171.00
      02-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #34
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I updated my post (#27) with red text. Here are some additional details:

Spark plugs: BMW OE spark plugs (12 12 0 037 244) made by Bosch. These are the factory spark plugs for the 1M.

Ignition coils: Delphi (GN10571-12B1). This is the same part as the BMW OE ignition coils (12 13 8 616 153) made by Delphi and specified for the S55 (and also N55) engine. After doing some online research - and according to Eagle01's dealer (see posts #25 and #32 of this thread) - this seems like the best ignition coil for the N54 at the moment.

Note: The above parts are also exactly what Eagle01 used, but I think he purchased his ignition coils from BMW in the BMW box.

Before starting the project, I went for a drive so I could have a baseline to compare to after I finished. I got the car up to temp and tried replicating the misfire (again) by accelerating from 2,750 rpm in 4th gear. The engine began to misfire at 3,100 rpm and the check engine light came on. The check engine light went out after a short time, so I accelerated from 2,750 in 3rd gear. Same thing. I went home and ran the diagnostic using Carly for BMW and once again had the misfire for cylinder #3.

After letting the car cool down (important), I got started. The project took me two hours start to finish. I was definitely taking it slow because (a) first time, (b) it was cold(!), and (c) I took the opportunity to wipe the dust and grime off a few engine bay parts with a microfiber towel while I had the engine cover off.

I take my time when I'm working on cars (it's quiet and nobody bothers me, unlike when I'm inside our house, lol), but if I wanted to, I could probably do the job in 75 minutes or so.

Some observations. I think you'll definitely want a 9-10" socket extension. I had a 6" extension and it wasn't very helpful for cylinders #5 and #6. I was able to get #5 done with the 6" extension, but I actually went and bought a 10" extension because I needed the clearance for my torque wrench on cylinder #6. There's a strut tower brace that makes it a little difficult to get to cylinders #5 and #6 without a 9-10" socket extension.

This was the first time I've removed the engine cover. In the process removing / moving some things around to get to the engine cover, I noticed a couple of plastic clips had been broken previously (last time the spark plugs were changed at the dealer?). Frustrating, but what can you do? Everything is still 100% functional, but now that I know about it, I'll track down what I need and replace the parts. Moral of the story - be careful.

Overall it was an easy DIY job, pretty relaxing, and very gratifying.

And most importantly, no more misfiring and my 1M runs like a champ again!

nachob I hear you about doing the spark plugs first and then the coils to isolate the cause. That would definitely be ideal but I didn't feel like putting everything back together twice. I did stick with the OE spark plugs like you recommended so the only part number that changed was for the ignition coils. Everything seems perfect, so I think it's safe to say the Delphi coils are okay to use for the N54.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I was more concerned about replacing coils and changing plug brand as that would another variable. This is exactly what I would do!! Thamks
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #35
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Spark plug quantity: Planning to replace all 6 since I'm close to the replacement interval anyway UPDATE: Replaced all 6 spark plugs

Spark plug brand: Planning on Bosch, but will think about NGK UPDATE: Went with BMW OE spark plugs (12 12 0 037 244) made by Bosch. These are the factory spark plugs for the 1M

Ignition coil quantity: Will do a little more research to decide if I want to just replace the coil for cylinder #3 or go ahead and replace them all. Leaning toward replacing them all, since I'm likely to go with Delphi or Eldor and I want all 6 coils to be the same brand (I'm guessing the original 2011 coils from the factory are made by Bosch) UPDATE Replaced all 6 ignition coils

Ignition coil brand: Bosch, Eldor, or Delphi. Leaning away from Bosch, will likely choose between Eldor and Delphi UPDATE: Went with Delphi (GN10571-12B1). This is the same part as the BMW OE ignition coils (12 13 8 616 153) made by Delphi and specified for the S55 (and also N55) engine. After doing some online research - and according to Eagle01's dealer (see posts #25 and #32 of this thread) - this seems like the best ignition coil for the N54 at the moment

The injectors are covered under warranty from BMW. They are covered for a period of 10 years and if the sparks, coils did not solve the problem, BMW will replace all injectors at no charge (they covered mine).
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50