BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Bidding farewell to my 1M

Today the time has come to bid farewell to my 1M.

It goes to a very good home, bestowed with numerous memories and stories, and entrusted with fine experiences. Looking back with lots of affection. Epic times with an epic car. I will always keep a special place inside my petrolhead heart for this automotive joy provider.

Undoubtedly, it will spring to mind from time to time when rowing the 6MT gears of my M2 next Spring. As the French saying goes: "Choisir, c'est toujours un peu mourir" ("Choosing is always a bit dying").

Protect those on board and may you live long and prosper, you little orange rascal.

Five postcards from the sweet past.

Name:  1M_03S_25Sep11.jpg
Views: 3250
Size:  334.0 KB
Name:  1M_10S_25Sep11.jpg
Views: 3266
Size:  318.2 KB
Name:  Grocery_Store.jpg
Views: 3228
Size:  141.6 KB
Name:  Stelvio_2013_4.jpg
Views: 3360
Size:  210.5 KB
Name:  Stelvio_2013.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  379.1 KB
      10-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
NOOOOOO!!!

this is unfortunate. You know so much about these cars, Artemis. You should hang onto the 1M! At least until you get the M2.

I was hoping you would be one of the people who help me start writing a book about the 1M one day!

Oh well....you will be back anyways....after you realise the M2 is disappointing compared to the 1M

Always enjoy your posts here, so i hope you continue to post here.
Appreciate 4
      10-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Ugh. This is terrible news!! Sorry to see you go! You always have such great insight! Enjoy the M2 and I hope you don't regret giving up the 1M.
      10-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Always enjoy your posts here, so i hope you continue to post here.
The orange Elvis has left the building. But I'm still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I don't think the 1M is bought 2nd hand by people looking for a value proposition----I think the 1M is bought by people who want a 1M....period. That's how it was for me.
That's exactly what has happened.

A true BMW enthusiast laid eyes upon my car and photographed it only two days after I had taken delivery back in 2011. He never forgot about it and kept lusting for it year-after-year. He asked me a couple of times if I still wasn't ready to part ways with it. The yearning kept itching for him. I declined, until recently. It's his dream car. He's over the moon. I trust that he will enjoy and treasure it the way I did. So it's definitely going to a good home. And that also matters for me.
      10-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
NiceGuyEddie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I can relate 100%. I went through the same process 10 months ago. I have been fortunate to own several M cars over the years, and the 1M stands alone as unquestionably the best car I have ever owned. Long live The One!
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Look forward to your comparison...
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Luc, looking forward to meeting your new dame/femme - ///M2 on our next tour of the Alps next summer.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
mrphil
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

congrats on the M2, what colour did you order?
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Luc, looking forward to meeting your new dame/femme - ///M2 on our next tour of the Alps next summer.
Always a pleasure being your wingman on our scouting escapades high up in the mountains, Dackelone.

Name:  WolfPack_Howling.jpg
Views: 4335
Size:  48.3 KBName:  WolfPack_Running.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  17.5 KB
      10-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphil View Post
congrats on the M2, what colour did you order?
Mineral Grey.
      10-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #11
mrphil
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Mineral Grey.
oh good, i was thinking everyone is going to order the Long Beach Blue

hope you stick around and post of photos of the new car when you get it
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 01:15 AM   #12
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Congrats on the M2..

Mine went to a new home 2 weeks ago, after 4 years of absolute driving pleasure, and I miss her every day I walk into the garage..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 02:41 AM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
... Undoubtedly, it will spring to mind from time to time when rowing the 6MT gears of my M2 next Spring. ...
The French also say 'Merde' ~ 'that's a bummer'.

As a most generous contributor to the 1M community I wish for you to have any car that you desire. Yet you haven't even left and some signs of a come back are dawning ... ;-)

Looking forward to you reminiscing at the next EU road trip and do keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
We will definitely want to hear your impressions after 1 month of ownership . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #15
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Love, love, love that pic of you, child, wife and the 5 or 6 other 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Nice pics. Hope you enjoy your new ///M car.
      10-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #17
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
A true BMW enthusiast laid eyes upon my car and photographed it only two days after I had taken delivery back in 2011. He never forgot about it and kept lusting for it year-after-year. He asked me a couple of times if I still wasn't ready to part ways with it. The yearning kept itching for him. I declined, until recently. It's his dream car. He's over the moon. I trust that he will enjoy and treasure it the way I did. So it's definitely going to a good home. And that also matters for me.
Sounds like it's going into good hands!

Best thing about these cars isn't just owning them... it's driving them to new places, meeting new friends, and making lasting memories.

That's why part of me will always miss my Z3 (despite constantly overheating), and my Z4 (despite it's awful steering and suspension).

Looking forward to reading your new adventures with the M2!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
So do I. I was unaware that a forum fellow was taking the picture while my wife was photographing our daughter and me. It was taken in the Summer of 2013 in the Stelvio Pass whereabouts (Northern Italy), with great people enjoying good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Look forward to your comparison...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
We will definitely want to hear your impressions after 1 month of ownership . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
The French also say 'Merde' ~ 'that's a bummer'.
As a most generous contributor to the 1M community I wish for you to have any car that you desire. Yet you haven't even left and some signs of a come back are dawning ... ;-)
Looking forward to you reminiscing at the next EU road trip and do keep us posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
Looking forward to reading your new adventures with the M2!
Next Spring/Summer I will very likely give my M2 the chance to show many of its true colors in my favorite playground: the awesome Dolomites (Northern Italy).

In my book, driving mountain roads are the best way to get acquainted with the chassis dynamics. If the chassis ain't excellent, the ride will scare the living daylights out of you. If the chassis is excellent, you're in for some sheer driving pleasure. Every time I drove the mountains in all sorts of weather, I experienced the outstanding qualities of the short wheel-based 1M. Powerful. Nimble. Eager. What a car. It regularly reminded me of zipping with karts through circuit corners in long bygone days (read: during the 90s).

And in the mountains, 0-62mph times don't matter much. It's all about the personal experience of the journey itself when getting from point A to point B. The torque and brakes massively propelling and decelerating the machine up and over those hillsides. The sequence of G's through the S's.

The 1M never disappointed me on those daunting mountain roads. But keep focused to remain fully in charge. Don't get carried away by the situation, as you're definitely not alone out there and by no means you want to spin off the road.

During an escapade last Summer a brand new F80 M3 was given a tough time to keep up with the 1M through a fast sequence of steep uphill and downhill twisties. The M3 got literary 'smoked': after the spirited run over great mountain passes we parked; my 1M brakes ticked/tingled (metallic contraction sounds) while the ///M carbon ceramic brakes of the M3 started fuming/smoking (it was even taped: make a guess to what the guys are referring when they said "und hier nichts" = "and here's nothing" ). Also those kinds of experiences contributed to my decision to prefer the (shorter) M2 over the (longer) M3, even if price-points would be the same and no reviews exist yet.

To get you a small sip of the cup: below a video shot by Dackelone of my 1M frolicking around with other BMW enthusiasts at the Sella Ronda whereabouts (Dolomites). Note: sorry for the scary 'near miss' during the first seconds of the video. I misunderstood the radioed walkie-talkie message "Coast ain't clear" as "Coast is clear". An instant reflex and some luck saved me from the dunce cap and being stricken way up in the mountains.

10-18-2015, 06:21 AM   #19
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M539

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Quote:
So do I. I was unaware that a forum fellow was taking the picture while my wife was photographing our daughter and me. It was taken in the Summer of 2013 in the Stelvio Pass whereabouts (Northern Italy), with great people enjoying good times.

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #20
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

I suppose congratulations are in order, but I think like many others who were tempted by the fruits of another only to return you'll be saying this one day:

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Artemis, I hope you'll handle the absence of the 1M in your life better than I did. Unlike you, I won't be substituting it with a M2, there is nothing that appeals me with that one. If I catch conditions and stability (not moving too much from one country to another) one day, I will simply look for another 1M from someone who is keeping his the way that I did or you did.

Only car which I thought thrilling and brilliant, since July 2014, which is when I sold the 1M and left Chile, was and still is the Cayman GT4.

Good luck for you.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #22
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Artemis

The 1 M will never leave you; it will always follow you and your new car. Just like it is in this pic.