BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #1
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

BMW refuses to replace HPFP

Car has 105,900miles on the odometer and she fell on her face last Thursday. Car was towed, and I scanned it while awaiting the tow truck. MHD shows inactive shadow codes 2FDB and 2AAF. Dealer wont replace it due to no CEL. No loaner or rental and I'm fighting again with the service manager. Submitted a complaint to the NHTSA but I doubt I'll get anywhere with them by tomorrow am. Tomorrow morning I go in to talk to the service manager.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

2FDB looks to be a crank sensor related code and 2AAF is a code for the LPFP taking too much amperage (gauge cluster only, look into it further).

So you probably won't get anywhere with any BMW dealer. Badgering them will only make things worse.
Maybe you should ask them to look the car over since you obviously have no idea what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 04:33 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Has the HPFP ever been replaced before? If so parts have a two year unlimited mileage parts warranty. If your HPFP has never been replaced before... maybe show them this...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Has the HPFP ever been replaced before? If so parts have a two year unlimited mileage parts warranty. If your HPFP has never been replaced before... maybe show them this...
Yes, It was replaced back in 2009 and 2010 . HPFP is struggling til this day, and only getting worse. I reported the dealer to IHTSA, but I have yet to hear from IHTSA since I submitted complaint last Wednesday. Dealer scanned the car 2 times and cant generate a code. Car sat there for 1 whole week, and not one advisor or manager could call me to tell me any kind of update. By the way, I had the car towed in too bc the car crashed on me on my way to work. This is just too fucking much anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:14 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sounds like your paying for a new HPFP on your dime. Sorry to hear about the crashed car. Maybe its time to move on.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Car has 105,900miles on the odometer and she fell on her face last Thursday. Car was towed, and I scanned it while awaiting the tow truck. MHD shows inactive shadow codes 2FDB and 2AAF. Dealer wont replace it due to no CEL. No loaner or rental and I'm fighting again with the service manager. Submitted a complaint to the NHTSA but I doubt I'll get anywhere with them by tomorrow am. Tomorrow morning I go in to talk to the service manager.
I mean how do you know it's the HPFP? you do understand that the dealer just can't throw a part in your car under warranty just because you ask them to... they need to have fault codes and test results from their diag software, or they risk bmw not paying them for the $1000+ part.

2AAF points words a lpfp issue or possibly an ekps (fuel pump module) problem.

Also did you flash the car back to stock after the check engine light came on? If so you erased any codes and or freeze frame data. If that's the case how can you be mad at the dealer for not finding anything wrong with your car?

Seems like you just walked into the dealer demanding they replace your hpfp, that's not how it works, they need to diag the car, and if they find the hpfp is faulty then they replace it. Otherwise your on the hook for diag time/repairs.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
I mean how do you know it's the HPFP? you do understand that the dealer just can't throw a part in your car under warranty just because you ask them to... they need to have fault codes and test results from their diag software, or they risk bmw not paying them for the $1000+ part.

Also did you flash the car back to stock after the check engine light came on? If so you erased any codes and or freeze frame data. If that's the case how can you be mad at the dealer for not finding anything wrong with your car?

Seems like you just walked into the dealer demanding they replace your hpfp, that's not how it works, they need to diag the car, and if they find the hpfp is faulty then they replace it. Otherwise your on the hook for diag time/repairs.
My tuner said my hpfp was failing a month ago. A couple weeks ago I broke down on my way to work, and had it towed to bmw. When i scanned it after i broke down codes revealed hpfp failure. I spoke with service manager 2 yesterday, because he called me in. They didnt replace the pump, because they found i was running a fuel it and sensor, upgraded lines. They did know i had the jb4, because i was honest since day 1.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post

My tuner said my hpfp was failing a month ago. A couple weeks ago I broke down on my way to work, and had it towed to bmw. When i scanned it after i broke down codes revealed hpfp failure. I spoke with service manager 2 yesterday, because he called me in after the war I had to go through. They didnt replace the pump, because they found i was running a fuel it and sensor, upgraded lines. They did know i had the jb4, because i was honest since day 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #9
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
My tuner said my hpfp was failing a month ago. A couple weeks ago I broke down on my way to work, and had it towed to bmw. When i scanned it after i broke down codes revealed hpfp failure. I spoke with service manager 2 yesterday, because he called me in after the war I had to go through. They didnt replace the pump, because they found i was running a fuel it and sensor, upgraded lines. They did know i had the jb4, because i was honest since day 1.
OP I understand your frustration but you have to clearly understand that as a dealer we have to have supporting facts/evidence to justify a part replacement. We can't simply go off of what he or she said, or base a repair on irrelevant fault codes that do not pertain to the actual part in question. You having advancements in your fueling system are only counter intuitive to what you desire, you being "honest" is good on your part but by having all that is only working against you. It's a pita but you're better off putting the vehicle entirely back to stock, clear faults and monitor your vehicle from there and see if you still think your vehicle needs a hpfp. That's just my 2 cents...
      08-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
Quote:
OP I understand your frustration but you have to clearly understand that as a dealer we have to have supporting facts/evidence to justify a part replacement. We can't simply go off of what he or she said, or base a repair on irrelevant fault codes that do not pertain to the actual part in question. You having advancements in your fueling system are only counter intuitive to what you desire, you being "honest" is good on your part but by having all that is only working against you. It's a pita but you're better off putting the vehicle entirely back to stock, clear faults and monitor your vehicle from there and see if you still think your vehicle needs a hpfp. That's just my 2 cents...
and for all that your better off buying the part on ebay as i did genuine new for 360 and i paid about 150 labor and wala no more issues.... he has way to many mods for the dealer to cover it, they can end it on that note alone
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
and for all that your better off buying the part on ebay as i did genuine new for 360 and i paid about 150 labor and wala no more issues.... he has way to many mods for the dealer to cover it, they can end it on that note alone
If only more people were as logical and understanding... Some people have a hard time getting that concept... "You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink."
      08-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
If only more people were as logical and understanding... Some people have a hard time getting that concept... "You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink."
Agreed on this.

I'm still a little bitter I bought the only model year that isn't covered under the injector warranty... but ill just pony up the 800 bucks and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh please, I know my options and pretty aware of what I have to do. You mean to tell me that you wouldn't try and get a part replaced under warranty before dishing out hundreds out of your own pocket? Right!? I've spent thousands and thousands on maintenance and a handful of modifications at the dealer, but in the end that means nothing to them. Dealer never gave me options nor did they offer to replace the pump with a discounted labor rate. On top of it all, they never even offered me a loaner or rental car. But they have the balls to send me a survey and demand 5 stars HA!. Nothing but a bunch of incompentent clowns at my dealer. I no longer will be going there for service.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh please, I know my options and pretty aware of what I have to do. You mean to tell me that you wouldn't try and get a part replaced under warranty before dishing out hundreds out of your own pocket? Right!? I've spent thousands and thousands on maintenance and a handful of modifications at the dealer, but in the end that means nothing to them. Dealer never gave me options nor did they offer to replace the pump with a discounted labor rate. On top of it all, they never even offered me a loaner or rental car. But they have the balls to send me a survey and demand 5 stars HA!. Nothing but a bunch of incompentent clowns at my dealer. I no longer will be going there for service.
If the vehicle was completely stock, a dealer wouldn't or shouldn't hesitate in honoring a warranty claim. Again due to circumstance and physical evidence of performance modifications it poses as a challenge for you hence why you're in this predicament. I can't speak on behalf of their processes nor can I speak on what they offered you or what they clearly didn't. But to my original post, it may be in your best interest to at the least put it back to stock if you don't mind spending "thousands" than I'm sure a couple hundred wouldn't hurt to legitimately and fairly diagnose your vehicle. Assuming of course that you do have a bad hpfp, which is also of course completely believable from an even playing field.
      08-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I find it a bit laughable that the diagnosis can't be made with what I am assuming are relatively minor mods. Now if the guy is running a 100% E85 tune with single or double barrel shotgun HPFP then sure...

Either the dealer service shop just doesn't want to touch the car, is incompetent, or we aren't being given all the facts. The truth is in there somewhere.
      08-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #16
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
I find it a bit laughable that the diagnosis can't be made with what I am assuming are relatively minor mods. Now if the guy is running a 100% E85 tune with single or double barrel shotgun HPFP then sure...

Either the dealer service shop just doesn't want to touch the car, is incompetent, or we aren't being given all the facts. The truth is in there somewhere.
From a business perspective it's not a laughing matter, understand that the OP had an aftermarket lpfp w/ the appropriate sensor and a piggyback tune. Not to forget he mentioned fault codes that don't even pertain to the hpfp, so with all this evidence, how would a dealer justify replacing the hpfp just because it's a known issue? Also let's assume he's ran full E85 if not more than the allowed tolerance(too many factors), so again... If he's committed to wanting to know what the real issue is, it's very simple and that's to put it back to stock, clear faults, and see if those same faults mentioned returns. It's not science, just basic logic...
      08-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #17
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

while on the topic, generally would a dealership care if you have just bolt ons mods and a tune but no fuel mods? If I was under warranty for my hpfp but had FBO with a tune, but never ran any e85 blend or touched the pump/had a fuel sensor/ anything for fueling, would a dealership likely still not honor the warranty due to my bolt ons / tune?
      08-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #18
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
while on the topic, generally would a dealership care if you have just bolt ons mods and a tune but no fuel mods? If I was under warranty for my hpfp but had FBO with a tune, but never ran any e85 blend or touched the pump/had a fuel sensor/ anything for fueling, would a dealership likely still not honor the warranty due to my bolt ons / tune?
Well if you're FBO, then yes it can pose as a challenge... Because most dealer associates are theoretically going assume mods can influence certain parts to "go bad" but having a "tune" also does not help in any situation.
      08-03-2017, 02:11 AM   #19
Ngo135is
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, E92 M3, Audi AR

Talking Dealer is always safer than sorry

Sorry guys but after reading the post, had to chime in for my 2 cents. Havng many cars in the past from Porsches, Mercedes, Corvette, and BMW's....logic tells me No dealer will honor any type of warranty if a stock car has modds of any sort on it. Hate to agree but Charlie is exactly right on this topic. Common sense should prevail and bad as it seems, gotta bite the bullet if your car is modded and if something goes wrong, owners responsibility even if it may be something else. There goes my rant not opinion!
Appreciate 4