BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Mercedes-Benz Museum

Address: Mercedesstrasse 100, Stuttgart 70372
Phone: +49 711 1730000

Tickets: Day ticket regular: 10 €, reduced: 5 €, discount also if you go to or came from Porsche museum and show ticket.

Having lived in Germany, for something like 15 years off and on over the past 40 years, I always wanted to go to the Mercedes museum. Finally, this past weekend, I realized a bucket list item and I am glad I did.

I rolled into Stuttgart not knowing what to expect at the Mercedes-Benz museum. No prior research or googling the museum. I arrived blind to expectation, parking for free on the street. As I walked up to the entrance ramp on a Sunday morning, I found hundreds of cars, all old-timers, participating in a cars and coffee. How cool was that. My first 5 or so photos are of the outside of the museum and all the cool cars parked there.

As I explored and photographed all the beautiful cars I met a young German kid who was showing off his Porsche 928, that only two weeks ago had imported from USA. Yes, that’s right, imported from the states…a USA-spec car that he imported back to its homeland. Apparently 928s are cheaper in the states.

An overall nice surprise as I start my visit. See next post for inside the museum.
Attached Images

08-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Inside the museum

Tickets were very reasonable and Mercedes also gave everyone headsets, in multiple languages, for free. I’ve been to a lot of places that charge for headsets, so that was a sweet deal.

As I entered, ahead of me was a huge concrete column with nine floors of cars mixed in with history lessons and mixed in with lots of walking, so bring your step counter…you will walk a lot but so worth it.

You take an elevator to start the tour at the top floor. A cool feature is that as the elevator pod takes you to the top, a video is projected on the museum wall outside the pod, with historic video clips. Very creative use of space, just one aspect that makes this a neat museum to visit.

When you disembark from the transport pod, you immediately start getting company history and global history lessons, which I thought was really nice way to juxtapose company inventions alongside what was happening in the world at that time.

Walking and reading and photographing, I probably saw a thousand displays, so quite an extensive collection.

One of my favorite cars, don’t ask me why, is the ‘Blue Wonder’ Schnelltransporter, a long blue truck’ish thing that was used to transport Mercedes race cars around the mid-1950’s. It was cartoonish but yet retro cool. Top speed was about 100 miles an hour, which for those days was quite a feat of engineering. I’d love to have one of these to bring my 1M to the track. In VO of course!

As I ended my tour I realized that I had thoroughly enjoyed my day and could have spent much more time. I also could have taken a thousand photos that day but really tried to limit myself to some of my favorite cars, trucks and buses.

Enjoy the photos and if you have any questions, just post here.

In closing, for many of you heading to Germany, or even those of us who live in Germany, as BMW fans our bucket list items might include the BMW Welt, BMW Classics or even the main ///M location up in Garching.

For true car enthusiasts, I highly recommend visiting this museum to truly understand what philosophy Mercedes has taken through the past 130 years or so to become a world-class car company.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...r-information/
Attached Images

Last edited by Rikx1M; 08-27-2018 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List

Guess the European forum is almost dead...sad that FB has probably taken all the traffic away...but also sad because these threads are easily searchable for information while FB is too restrictive...