BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

M3 rims on a 128i

I have these m3 rims, I want to put them on my 128i, I know they won't fit right away, but plan on changing my front fender to n5tuner and putting fender flares in the back, good idea or will is still not work?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 03:23 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonhyatt View Post
I have these m3 rims, I want to put them on my 128i, I know they won't fit right away, but plan on changing my front fender to n5tuner and putting fender flares in the back, good idea or will is still not work?
To be clear the n5tuner flares only net approx 15mm extra, you'll need closer to 25-30mm per side.

Honestly it's not much to do a proper 1M front end and then it's easy as pie to fit 255-275 square.
      09-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Quote:
To be clear the n5tuner flares only net approx 15mm extra, you'll need closer to 25-30mm per side.

Honestly it's not much to do a proper 1M front end and then it's easy as pie to fit 255-275 square.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Quote:

Would that require a new bumper and repaint? Or what would that require? New hood too?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Would that require a new bumper and repaint?
Oh yeah. There are several "1M Conversion" threads you can search for and see a parts list and the steps involved.

It's a big project.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Quote:
Oh yeah. There are several "1M Conversion" threads you can search for and see a parts list and the steps involved.

It's a big project.
Quote:
Quote:

It's a big project.
I'm probably gonna see if there's another conversion kit I can get, doing the bumper, hoodie, fenders, rear fenders and rear bumper plus a repaint would be a tremendous amount of money. Going to see if there's a way I jus just do front and rear fenders and then take everything out underneath
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
tremendous amount of money
Yep. The easiest thing is to just get wheels that fit.
Appreciate 1
Fakemike368.50
      09-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's no way to make them fit without doing all that work?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Super wide wheels and / or wheels with offsets that are way off of ours? No, not really.

Wide wheels need wide spaces to fit into, meaning the fenders and so on have to go bigger. Leek swapping, cutting, body work, pain, etc. Way different offsets need a change of location of the hub hey mount to. Meaning parts need to get swapped, sometimes a lot of parts. Or you may run into both.

What are the specs on the wheels you want to use? Let's assume they will bolt into place as far as the bolt circle diameter, # lugs, center bore, and everything else. What are their offsets and widths? If they aren't too far off it may not be that bad.

But, yeah, it's easiest to find wheels that fit to start with. Cars aren't identical and even among BMW's things as basic as wheels don't always just swap over from one to another.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Super wide wheels and / or wheels with offsets that are way off of ours? No, not really.

Wide wheels need wide spaces to fit into, meaning the fenders and so on have to go bigger. Leek swapping, cutting, body work, pain, etc. Way different offsets need a change of location of the hub hey mount to. Meaning parts need to get swapped, sometimes a lot of parts. Or you may run into both.

What are the specs on the wheels you want to use? Let's assume they will bolt into place as far as the bolt circle diameter, # lugs, center bore, and everything else. What are their offsets and widths? If they aren't too far off it may not be that bad.

But, yeah, it's easiest to find wheels that fit to start with. Cars aren't identical and even among BMW's things as basic as wheels don't always just swap over from one to another.
Quote:

I believe they are 19x9.5 and 18x8.5. 23 offsets. They won't fit with fender flares? I plan on taking everything out behind the flares
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #10
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If I remember right that's like 2 - 3 cm off from what fits well for a 1-series. Sticking out, so spacers are definitely not an option (would make it worse).

Simplest thing is to raise the car, even if it's just a corner at a time for a front wheel and for a rear wheel, and bolt up what you have to see how far off it is. Be sure to not lower the car all the way back down with one of those wheels, to be sure you don't damage anything.

You'd have to look up old threads to see what others have done to make it work, either to get wheels such as these to fit, or what they were able to install after making similar modifications to the fenders.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
lemansblau135is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135is

Garage List
2013 bmw 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep
Appreciate 0