BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport Coupe

snapped brake cylinder bleed valve DIY removal attempt

This is not a video that will show you have to remove a snapped of brake cylinder ventilation valve, it is an attempt to show others what you are up against if it happens to you, it will also show you why BMW will just replace the brake cylinder and charge you as at £150 an hour for servicing it just doesn’t warrant a BMW mechanic trying to remove a valve and also it my not be safe to do so if the brake cylinder has been put through a lot of stress to remove the ventilation valve.

I had taken my 08/58 E82 BMW 135i for a service and the BMW UK mechanic had said that the right rear ventilation valve on the brake cylinder felt like it was going to snap of so he could not bleed that brake.

The mechanic also pointed out that the three other ventilation valves were tight, I managed to replace three and the forth snapped of.

In hind sight being that they only cost £5.00 each I would recommend replacing the brake cylinder ventilation valves every other brake service or every four years if you are following condition based servicing

The alternative may just turn out costing £450.00 for a new brake cylinder.

In the video you will see that all was going well until the stud extractor snapped of.

My only hope now is to weld a nut to the remaining stud in the hope that the stud may undo with a spanner if not I will end up with an expensive door stop

Ventilation valve "34116780509" "34 11 6 780 509"
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=34116780509

Calliper housing left "34206860145" "34 20 6 860 145"
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1642

E82 BMW 135i Brembo brake cylinder snapped Ventilation valve DIY removal attempt

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport Coupe

Well after several attempts "ten infact" we finally managed to weld a nut on and remove the snapped of ventalation valve

After we had welded a nut on nine seperate times the nut just kept shearing of when we tried to undo the ventalation valve with a spanner

Nut is place

snapped of ventalation valve removed

new ventalation valve back in place

cap back on

removed ventalation valve and the nine other nuts
Appreciate 0