BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

10-05-2005, 10:22 PM   #45
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
What makes you say that? This was my plan all along. A loan for $40,000 is a heck of a lot easier to pay off than a $250,000 loan! I suppose I wanted to test the water with a car loan first. With any luck, that loan is coming in less than three years. Yeah, I could have kept my old car and waited for a bimmer in a few more years, but it's way too much fun right now. When it comes time to worry about the mortgage, I can at least say I had fun for a few years of somewhat financial freedom with an open road in the driver's seat of my new bimmer and only that loan to worry about!
Because it's supposed to be the right thing to do by the book, but then again I've never lived my life following the book. I found results to be often better when I followed my own principles and methods. Nonetheless, we all go down different paths in life.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 11:39 PM   #46
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

I think I took the road less traveled..........

Sometimes....I think I should've gotten a Scion XB...and fix that baby up!
      10-05-2005, 11:43 PM   #47
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y

I've thought of the same thing! I've seen some xBs that looked very sweet.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 12:07 AM   #48
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y

one of my buddies just got a scion Tc and he is fixing that mo-fo up...
      10-06-2005, 12:15 AM   #49
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

My E90 is the fifth BMW I've owned over many years. During that time I've seen a certain animosity towards BMW drivers develop and grow , but I don't think there is widespread "hatred" of the marque. Its more a perception about the driver.

My theory is this: the car itself is an embodiment of the automotive virtues of luxury (wealth), power, and control, but when the characteristics of the car are transferred by others onto the driver, the driver doesn't come off very well. "Power and control" connotes a certain tendancy toward manipulation for one's own advantage suggesting the means whereby advantage (wealth) is gained.

Simplistically, the very attributes that make the car attractive to many of its buyers don't map well as human attributes - at least to some people - the 'BMW haters'. While there may be a glimmer of truth here, I think its more an issue in the minds of the non-BMW owner.

Having been in IT for a long time, I've noticed that a relatively high percentage of programmers drive manuals (versus the general population). Programmers love to exercise control over a machine by writing whippy code. and a manual transmission offers a similarly greater degree of control over the performance of a car. But I can't say that programmers tend to be any more controlling or manipulative of people than anyone else - probably less so as some programmers shy away from social interaction.

In the mind of the general populace, the cost of a BMW tends to push it out of the 'nerd' car category which might have some (perverse?) cute factor and towards a more manipulative perception - not unlike that associated with lawyers. (apologies in advance to the barristers amonst us). There are very few other cars that have this type of cachet that gets mapped to the driver. Mercedes says stodgy wealth, Ferrari says rich playboy, Lexus says wealthy-but-complacent burgher, Audi ... I haven't a clue here I think its still trying to find itself, the Z says rich boy-racer, Vette - don't know here either, you tell me ... and on and on.

The BMW 'perception' wasn't always like it is today. When I drove a 2002, which was from the more boxy BMW era, most people didn't know what it was and those that did thought it was cool. As the brand has grown more luxurious, it hasn't lost its relative edge in performance - and that, coupled with its Teutonic origins and all the things associated with 'German cars' (and German machinery generally) get mish-mashed together as a description of the 'type of person' who would buy one. Its wierd. If you drive like an asshole in a BMW you foster a kind of impression about BMW drivers generally - versus driving like an asshole in a Saturn which simply doesn't translate to the brand. If you drive like like a jerk in your Bimmer you give all of us a bad name - something that simply doesn't happen in the same way with many other brands, not matter how poorly they're driven or how rude their drivers.

There are times I wish the car wasn't as head-turningly, conspicuously beautiful and was more the boxy taut performer, the geek of yester-year. That way it wouldn't draw attention to itself as much. (Don't get me wrong I love the look - the E90 gets better looking every day.)

I'll put the kevlar on now, so whack away. LOL!

get off the phone and drive
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #50
human
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda civic ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Last I checked, a good-sized condo of a single bedroom in the bay area fetches nearly half a million. Not that housing is dearth but the west coast is too popular. I guess the same would apply to the east coast as well such as NY.

A car loan isn't a consternation for most folks as the result of copious amounts of lenders who importunately write off home loans to anybody.

Life is too short - I'd say it's best to bask under the sunroof zipping through convoluted roads while your bones are still intact. Of course, the idiosyncracies of our multifarious population results with various priorities.

What? Why are you guys complimenting Squawks' writing? It looks like he's "trying out" half of these words for the first time, his style comes across as contrived, and I've noticed several grammatical errors in the few posts that I've read. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just confused as to what's going on here.

Ok, if I'm missing the "inside joke," just tell me!

Last edited by human; 10-06-2005 at 01:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 12:58 AM   #51
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

He sounds like Don King or Mike Tyson...IMO. Seriously!!
Have you guys heard those two ghetto muthas talked....
They tried to sound intelligent.....yet ghetto!
      10-06-2005, 02:46 AM   #52
Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Squawks - quite the vernacular employed there. Impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5
Today some very nice lady was driving all in my ass. She thinks I cut her off (5-6 car lengths) then she starts driving all on my bumper and acting like she wants to hit me. At the light I get out of my car (left my son with my friend) and asked her to stop driving like an ass. She was in a piece of shit. She says," I will hit your fuc... BMW" I said, "hit it if you want, I will just get a new one, but if you hurt my son thats in my car now I will ______ing kill you." Walked back to my car and drove away while she kept her distance. I think she was being an ass just because the car. GOD I LOVE NJ

best.response.ever. Only in Jersey, though. Derrty Jerrsey, hehehehe. I went there last summer (interesting experience) and I bought my friend this tshirt that says "New Jersey - only the strong survive" heheheheh
      10-06-2005, 07:48 AM   #53
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Swallow a dictionary? Bah! I had to chew it first.

Showing one's sagacity through vocabulary is a good thing. It permits others to improve their erudition in the English language on top of being able to communicate more concisely without being impudently terse. Unless the majority of the folks here are still in their highschool infancy, I apologize in advance for any muddling my esoteric argot may have caused. If I made you look into a dictionary then that's good - my posts goaded you to actually learn something. If you read my posts, can't grasp the pith of it, and don't wish to pursue its meanings any further, then perhaps my posts should be reserved for other E90 pandits. I'm not trying to be a haughty pedant - everybody has access to dictionaries.

I don't think anybody using good English is really conceited, unless they are using equivocal eloquence.
Admit it squawks, you use the thesaurus don't you??

Ordinarily, I would answer your point with the argument that communication is only good if it can be understood (and isn't that the whole purpose?). You have a habit of using many archaic words which have long slipped from common use, or you use words in an inappropriate context - however I have to say that you have developed it into a style of sorts, so keep at it because I find it very amusing.

If you require rehabilitation from your addiction to verbosity, go buy a copy of "Fowler's Guide to Modern English Usage" written in the early 1900's, and still very relevant to this day.
      10-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #54
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
Ah, you beat me to it! I'd wager he was thesaurizing the whole post!!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #55
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Today some very nice lady was driving all in my ass. She thinks I cut her off (5-6 car lengths) then she starts driving all on my bumper and acting like she wants to hit me. At the light I get out of my car (left my son with my friend) and asked her to stop driving like an ass. She was in a piece of shit. She says," I will hit your fuc... BMW" I said, "hit it if you want, I will just get a new one, but if you hurt my son thats in my car now I will ______ing kill you." Walked back to my car and drove away while she kept her distance. I think she was being an ass just because the car. GOD I LOVE NJ
I can empathize, but walking up to a car in traffic is a good way to get shot. In Texas it is justifiable, I'm sure some Jersites are packing too. Be careful.

Try this next time your at a stop light with a rager behind you. Don't go on green. Sit there pissing the guy off further. The second it turns red (assuming it's semi-safe), run it. Likely, maniac wont be able to follow and your guarteed to take a few years off their life from the stress alone. I learned this from Beverly Hills Cop.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 08:35 AM   #56
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
I can empathize, but walking up to a car in traffic is a good way to get shot. In Texas it is justifiable, I'm sure some Jersites are packing too. Be careful.

Try this next time your at a stop light with a rager behind you. Don't go on green. Sit there pissing the guy off further. The second it turns red (assuming it's semi-safe), run it. Likely, maniac wont be able to follow and your guarteed to take a few years off their life from the stress alone. I learned this from Beverly Hills Cop.
listen NJ is not a gun friendly state like Texas. Carying a loaded gun in a car or on you in NJ will give you a few years in prison, even if its your legal gun. As for sitting there that would put my sons life in harms way. People are so nuts around here they just may hit you on purpose for not moving. With a kid in the car not very smart!

If I werein my car alone I will have locked up the breaks and let the dumb lady hit me. Her fault accident and she would pay for the damage and her ins. rates would climb. Hit them where it hurts in the pocket. Best part it was in a town where my sons god father is a cop and I know 85% of the force so they would have really messed her up. I would have called him or my best friend that works there and she would have been hooked up with as many tickets as they could write.

I usually dont care the way people drive around me when alone, but dont mess with my little boy!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 08:38 AM   #57
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I usually dont care the way people drive around me when alone, but dont mess with my little boy!

I agree, you gotta look after your family dude!
      10-06-2005, 08:57 AM   #58
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial
yeah, people do tend to hate on BMW. When I sold my Audi for my E90, I had a lot of mixed respones. Overall, people were pretty encouraging and understanding, but a fair percentage of people were also like "OMG I can't believe you BOUGHT A BMW!" and treated it as if I'd killed someone or something.
I got the same reaction from BMW friends who turned Audi lovers, they were like I had defected to the evil side or something. They couldn't talk, they just bought an ML350.

It was like my decision somehow reinforced their own insecurity so they took it out on me. People are just weird sometimes...
      10-06-2005, 11:45 AM   #59
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
listen
No, YOU LISTEN...

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 11:49 AM   #60
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
No, YOU LISTEN...
LOL, I bet a lot less people in Texas have problems on the road since even a grandma can be packing heat.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #61
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Nah, I don't use the thesaurus. Not sure why many folks would find it implausible that someone lacks the capacity to know such words. They aren't common, but they are indeed English. In terms of communication, I just feel some words are germane to the issue at hand. Of course, I can always revert to my old middle school language.

In response to Human, "trying out" the words? Both the definitions and the context of my usage of these words seem fit to me - there was no malpropism as far as I can tell. Besides, how would I ever get the word, "malpropism" from the thesaurus when it means "unintentional misuse of a word/phrase"? Type in an online thesaurus "unintentional misuse of word/phrase"? If anybody here even reads The Wallstreet Journal or any other non-6th-grade literature, there's a little verbosity. Note that most newspapers are actually written in 7th grade language (wow, you never knew that?!). If you go to a hospital, informed consents are always written in 6th grade language, no matter how complicated the procedures/protocols may be.

On the issue of grammatical errors, I don't proofread my posts as I would on a graduate thesis, so I apologize - please condone me for any traumatic ailings you may have suffered from reading my poorly written posts.

I'd agree with the other folks here about the perils of getting out of your car to confront others. Some people may be quite rancorous and I wouldn't be surprised if somebody gets shot or injured in the process. This constitutes road rage, after all. If they're tailing that badly, just let them pass - what's so hard about that? This isn't a Star Wars episode where you're the X-Wing trying to shake off an Imperial Tie-Fighter.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 12:40 PM   #62
NBRider88
I gave her my heart, she gave me crabs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Quote:
I'd agree with the other folks here about the perils of getting out of your car to confront others. Some people may be quite rancorous and I wouldn't be surprised if somebody gets shot or injured in the process. This constitutes road rage, after all. If they're tailing that badly, just let them pass - what's so hard about that? This isn't a Star Wars episode where you're the X-Wing trying to shake off an Imperial Tie-Fighter.
Quick story....on the way home from vegas less than a month ago there were two cars ahead of me, one in each lane in a 2 laned highway. Anyways a car pulls up and starts tailgating the other driver to let him know he needs to move over or speed up. It is just the common rule of the road...you PASS in the left lane and CRUISE in the right and if your not going fast enough for some crazy driver then move over! But anyways...instead of moving over, the driver decides to start brake-checking the tailgater going about 70mph. It was ridiculous because it was 2AM and the car was slowing almost 20+ cars down from not moving over, anyways long story short the guy finially decides to speed up and get away, the tailgater quickly catches up and from my car i can see kids throwing all sorts of random sh*t at the car who decided it would be better to be a d*ck and brake check then simply move out of the way. anyways it goes to show, dont be an idiot on the road because you never know who the other drive is..insead of him throwing random items, he could have pulled out a gun...come on peope!
      10-06-2005, 12:48 PM   #63
human
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA

Ordinarily, I would answer your point with the argument that communication is only good if it can be understood (and isn't that the whole purpose?). You have a habit of using many archaic words which have long slipped from common use, or you use words in an inappropriate context - however I have to say that you have developed it into a style of sorts, so keep at it because I find it very amusing.

If you require rehabilitation from your addiction to verbosity, go buy a copy of "Fowler's Guide to Modern English Usage" written in the early 1900's, and still very relevant to this day.
Well put, and yes, the posts are entertaining to read!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 12:52 PM   #64
human
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nah, I don't use the thesaurus. Not sure why many folks would find it implausible that someone lacks the capacity to know such words. They aren't common, but they are indeed English. In terms of communication, I just feel some words are germane to the issue at hand. Of course, I can always revert to my old middle school language.

In response to Human, "trying out" the words? Both the definitions and the context of my usage of these words seem fit to me - there was no malpropism as far as I can tell. Besides, how would I ever get the word, "malpropism" from the thesaurus when it means "unintentional misuse of a word/phrase"? Type in an online thesaurus "unintentional misuse of word/phrase"? If anybody here even reads The Wallstreet Journal or any other non-6th-grade literature, there's a little verbosity. Note that most newspapers are actually written in 7th grade language (wow, you never knew that?!). If you go to a hospital, informed consents are always written in 6th grade language, no matter how complicated the procedures/protocols may be.

On the issue of grammatical errors, I don't proofread my posts as I would on a graduate thesis, so I apologize - please condone me for any traumatic ailings you may have suffered from reading my poorly written posts.

By the way, that word that you were harping on, "malapropism," you misspelled it twice. (Maybe you need to use a thesaurus or dictionary after all!!)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #65
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

I find it funny that whenever someone atleast tries to use the English language to the fullest, rather than refusing to expand one's vocabulary, they are perceived as arrogant. lol, Although my personal lexicon isn't all that great either.

I don't like how our society doesn't encourage the further development of our own little bank of words; everything has to be simple and concise. German! Now that's a language where use of complexity along with specific words and intricate sentence structure is encouraged.

You shouldn't have to be a logophiliac in order to appreciate usage of descriptive words.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #66
human
Private First Class
Rep

Shim-shim,
I agree with you but you're missing the point!

Yes, German is a wonderful language - was my first language as a matter of fact! I don't think anyone "encourages" complexity, though... (do they?). I happen to think that simplicity is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread