BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #45
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I switched from m3 waitlist to 135i waitlist back in 07. What a mistake, should have gotten a M3 and I would still be part of BMW family. My reasoning was 135i was able to provide 80-90% of the fun at significantly lower price point (35k starting back then)

If any of you is deciding between M3 and 1M go with the M3. Reliability of N54 is not worth the trouble.
      02-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #46
jaglacs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Not this shit again....sigh...

Does the X5M have a unique engine ? What about the X6M ? The new M5 ? That's right...none of them have a "unique" engine...that just isn't going to happen anymore...

This car got all the ///M treatment it could, considering all factors....I am willing to bet that a test drive would change a lot of minds...
Exactly, there are no more true "M" cars anymore..."M" for Marketing I saw it in person and had a chance to sit in one as well while it was at the Rolex 24hr in Daytona(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482889). The interior was stark and bare but overall it would make a good weekend track car. More like the E46 M3 with improvements?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #47
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBoss View Post
That being said, if the 1m was the same price as the m3 coupe sedan and vert, I'd still choose the 1m over the m3.
^ Is this guy serious?[/QUOTE]

Why not be serious about that? It is basically a M3. M3 chassis shortened 3 inches. M3 suspension. M3 Brakes and rotors. M3 Comp style wheels.... Just a smaller engine. Also has Nurburgring track time as fast as it's big brother, M3...
With a chip, you could smoke an M3, along with many other cars.....
An "M" is an "M." Everyone has their own wants and needs in a car... For some on this forum, the 1M fits the bill
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #48
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Well If you could afford a gt3rs now why even bother with a 1m? I know If I wasn't in college , had my degree , good paying career I would get a used gt3/rs wouldn't even look at a 1m.
The 1M is not going to be my primary, secondary, or even tertiary car. I am getting it because I like it not because I need a car (I buy what I like, my garage is full and so are my storage spaces). I eventually may add the GT3RS, that depends on whether or not Viper production resumes in 2012/13. Either way whatever I purchase next year wont replace the 1M it will add to it.[/QUOTE]

That is a great problem to have my friend.
      02-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #49
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Better check your facts, sir. The e9x M3 official Nurburgring track time is better. You also don't know how it will do chipped, and it all depends on who's chipping. You can only go up to 380hp w/ the Dinan stage II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
^ Is this guy serious?
Why not be serious about that? It is basically a M3. M3 chassis shortened 3 inches. M3 suspension. M3 Brakes and rotors. M3 Comp style wheels.... Just a smaller engine. Also has Nurburgring track time as fast as it's big brother, M3...
With a chip, you could smoke an M3, along with many other cars.....
An "M" is an "M." Everyone has their own wants and needs in a car... For some on this forum, the 1M fits the bill[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #50
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
Better check your facts, sir. The e9x M3 official Nurburgring track time is better. You also don't know how it will do chipped, and it all depends on who's chipping. You can only go up to 380hp w/ the Dinan stage II.
This is what i was referring to..

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/12/12/bm...r-than-e46-m3/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #51
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The E46 M3 and the E9X M3 are two COMPLEEEETLY different cars. You cannot make a statement saying the 1M has a faster Nurburing lap time than the M3 when you are referring to the E46. Also, your statement that the 1M and the M3 are basically the same cars is also absolutely absurd.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #52
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Fan View Post
+1. I would get a 135 over an M3; however, I've only driven a DCT M3.

If the 1M falls through, I'll get the Cayman I originally planned to get. I wouldn't be waiting for the 1M if I didn't like the 135 so much.
Nothing wrong with saying you will purchase a 135 over an M3...that's your personal preference. However in terms of performance, the M3 is a way better car than the 135, and that's a fact...there is no arguing that once you eliminate whatever personal preferences you may have.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #53
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Does the X5M have a unique engine ? What about the X6M ? The new M5 ? That's right...none of them have a "unique" engine...that just isn't going to happen anymore...

This car got all the ///M treatment it could, considering all factors....I am willing to bet that a test drive would change a lot of minds...
Yes the M models may share engines, however they are all unique "M" engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #54
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Nothing wrong with saying you will purchase a 135 over an M3...that's your personal preference. However in terms of performance, the M3 is a way better car than the 135, and that's a fact...there is no arguing that once you eliminate whatever personal preferences you may have.
You will have to define "better" Better than for you may be very well different for someone else.

Last edited by Robert; 02-09-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #55
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
I truly believe that this car will be "limited" in every sense of the word as according to the speculated production numbers. I just think BMWNA are trying to quell fears and not start a rat race for this car. They're not going to want to start bidding wars at dealers and piss off everyone that didn't get one. I went in to my dealer today and finalized my order. I know they are assured to get one (and I am #1 on the list) but I think it depends on what other dealers have as far as orders depending on the other cars that they may have allocated to them. So if they get another order in then they have a better chance getting another car. One of the dealer members on here said that they were definitely getting two cars alloted to them but were possibly getting a third. I think that the dealers who were offered possible additional cars want to fill those orders as soon as possible in order to get the extra customers that they know will be coming after this car. To me it sounds as if these cars are order only and NONE will be sitting on the lots. Just my .02.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #56
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
You will have to define "better" Better than for you may be very well different for someone else.
As stated...better in terms of performance. Performance includes RPMs, Torque, HP, 0-60, handling, lap times, automotive parts, sophistication of engine, suspension, DSC vs. DTC, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #57
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I switched from m3 waitlist to 135i waitlist back in 07. What a mistake, should have gotten a M3 and I would still be part of BMW family. My reasoning was 135i was able to provide 80-90% of the fun at significantly lower price point (35k starting back then)

If any of you is deciding between M3 and 1M go with the M3. Reliability of N54 is not worth the trouble.
I'm on my 3rd n54 motor without a problem, knock on wood.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #58
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
I truly believe that this car will be "limited" in every sense of the word as according to the speculated production numbers. I just think BMWNA are trying to quell fears and not start a rat race for this car. They're not going to want to start bidding wars at dealers and piss off everyone that didn't get one. I went in to my dealer today and finalized my order. I know they are assured to get one (and I am #1 on the list) but I think it depends on what other dealers have as far as orders depending on the other cars that they may have allocated to them. So if they get another order in then they have a better chance getting another car. One of the dealer members on here said that they were definitely getting two cars alloted to them but were possibly getting a third. I think that the dealers who were offered possible additional cars want to fill those orders as soon as possible in order to get the extra customers that they know will be coming after this car. To me it sounds as if these cars are order only and NONE will be sitting on the lots. Just my .02.
I think that dealer also stated that there were only 2 in the order bank and they were trying to get a 3rd for the lot. I do not see BMW sending 'extra' 1ms when there are still people waiting having paid their deposit.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #59
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
I'm on my 3rd n54 motor without a problem, knock on wood.
Lucky you! Before I bought my M3 I had a 335 N54 engine and it sucked! My engine malfunction light came on about 12 different times and left me stranded quite a few times. I know someone with a 135 and an X6 and they bought experienced the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #60
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Lucky you! Before I bought my M3 I had a 335 N54 engine and it sucked! My engine malfunction light came on about 12 different times and left me stranded quite a few times. I know someone with a 135 and an X6 and they bought experienced the same issues.
Lucky me indeed. I'm sure as soon as I get my car back from the dealer it'll take a crap on me.

This is something I accepted when buying the car though. I knew full well the HPFP problems. While it is sad to buy a BMW expecting it to fail, it is a price I'm ready to pay.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #61
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Lucky me indeed. I'm sure as soon as I get my car back from the dealer it'll take a crap on me.

This is something I accepted when buying the car though. I knew full well the HPFP problems. While it is sad to buy a BMW expecting it to fail, it is a price I'm ready to pay.
Agreed...despite the problems, it is truly an amazing engine
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #62
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The E46 M3 and the E9X M3 are two COMPLEEEETLY different cars. You cannot make a statement saying the 1M has a faster Nurburing lap time than the M3 when you are referring to the E46. Also, your statement that the 1M and the M3 are basically the same cars is also absolutely absurd.
Your right, I should have elaborated a little more. My point being is that the new 1M shares many of the same components as its big brother M3 (E9x)does it not? Same chassis, shortened 3 inches. Same brakes and rotors etc... And it has better lap times than the previous gen M3 (E46)... Nonetheless, some may think this is comparing apples and oranges but I look at it like, they share the same bloodline and to some degree -components. Performance numbers obviously vary quite a bit from the E46, 1M, to the E9x but to ignore this car as being a "M" is absurd in itself...
Not everyone will drop $70k on a M3 without considering other brands in that price bracket (that will out-perform an M3)... I think what people are trying to say here is, that the new 1M is more affordable, it has good performance numbers, and it's an M
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #63
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Agreed...despite the problems, it is truly an amazing engine
Heres to hoping the 1m won't share the same problem. Very wishful thinking me thinks!

Quote:
Your right, I should have elaborated a little more. My point being is that the new 1M shares many of the same components as its big brother M3 (E9x)does it not? Same chassis, shortened 3 inches. Same brakes and rotors etc... And it has better lap times than the previous gen M3 (E46)... Nonetheless, some may think this is comparing apples and oranges but I look at it like, they share the same bloodline and to some degree -components. Performance numbers obviously vary quite a bit from the E46, 1M, to the E9x but to ignore this car as being a "M" is absurd in itself...
Not everyone will drop $70k on a M3 without considering other brands in that price bracket (that will out-perform an M3)... I think what people are trying to say here is, that the new 1M is more affordable, it has good performance numbers, and it's an M

All this talk of the car not being a 'true' M car because of the engine, redline, etc etc is getting really old. An engine is not the be all end all of any car, nor does it's redline define it. The fact is this car will be a great performer for a great price. I think the initial drive will change many people's opinion of whether or not it deserves an M badge. In my mind it most certainly does, and my first drive will only further that thought in my mind.

To me too, this car is kicking off the future of the M brand. All the M cars look as if they will be going to forced induction, which will in general suggest lower redlines, as well as the slue of other changes that come with it.

Someone else was complaining that there was no carbon fiber roof. Paaa-lease, for such a low volume car asking for a carbon roof too is a little much. At under $50k this is a true bargain for a BMW M off the showroom floor no matter how you look at it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #64
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

+1

Let's reserve judgement until the first wave of press reviews comes out.

Initial opinions from the community drivers as well as from EVO's Chris Harris were very encouraging, and suggested a linear power band that felt like a normally aspirated engine.

So yes, let's wait for more facts and actual reviews to be published! (Please!)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #65
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:

lol, funny as hell but you're right.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #66
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:

I live outside the US, and therefore outside the extended warranty, and bought a spare HPFP with my 135i so I know exactly what you mean about being ready to pay the price. Funny thing is, almost a full year on, it's still in the box!

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0