BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #111
AbuArije5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Non

They could have done worse he shut off the camera damn this is sad bit funny but sad again
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #112
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Holy shit I'd be raising hell. In my eyes asking for the 10k markup and the extra warranty is totally reasonable. Who knows what other abuse it could have suffered off the video. Stick with it and keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #113
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
a "jury" lol as if...i've not heard many people refer to themselves as a "trial lawyer." Fraud???? seriously?
some lawyers sit in their office and hold their dingus while they talk on their phone and bang out emails - I work in a courtroom weekly. Yes, their is this large thing called the Trial Lawyers Association in your state and every other state in the Union.

You should never strive to be in any courtroom but the person that bought this 1M should conduct themselves in a reasonable and respectful manner NOW so that on the tiny chance that might occur that the facts will be favorable when viewed objectively. FRAUD - maybe, Misrepresentation - probably.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #114
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuArije5 View Post
They could have done worse he shut off the camera damn this is sad bit funny but sad again
amen and great point - what happened off camera? we will never know
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #115
Brad135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 FiST

So we saw 2 minutes of a 10 minute? 20 minute? Joyride with 2 idiots.
Does anyone here think once the camera was shut off that the boys drove responsibly?
The devil is in the details and insanity is in the possibilities. They could have run over an old lady, or driven over a curb, or......
Unfortunately this is an irresponsible situation and the car was misrepresented to the buyer.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #116
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
If someone did that to their car and the dealer had evidence of it,

their warranty would have been VOIDED.

so true Julie.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #117
ladius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 bmw 330i

I think posting here is good, reminds me of the guy who won an m3 on eBay and the dealership backed out of the deal. The fury unleashed on the forums eventually caused such an uproar that the dealership had to honor the auction.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #118
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
amen and great point - what happened off camera? we will never know
Exactly! Nobody knows how long that "test drive" lasted and what happened afterwards... Better check the interior surfaces with a UV lamp, plus if you have a friendly police officer with a drug-sniffing dog it might also be useful to use that dog's unique features before you'll manage to drive through a random checkpoint
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #119
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladius View Post
I think posting here is good, reminds me of the guy who won an m3 on eBay and the dealership backed out of the deal. The fury unleashed on the forums eventually caused such an uproar that the dealership had to honor the auction.
It's definitely a good idea to make dealers more cautious with these cars.
Hopefully it will have an impact on them.

The people that usually do this are the low paid employes (kids) that don't really care if they get fired or not, which sucks for us.

It's impossible to prevent though, unless you never bring it to the dealer again.
I posted a story a while back when I brought my car in for service as soon as I got it (small issues) and I got it back with over 60 miles added to it.
This was while the car had under 500 miles. I have no idea how it was driven, where, by who, etc.
(It was during summer and this was my convertible 335i, so someone had fun with it)
      09-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #120
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
I'm not quoting you directly, just those that share your opinion for "new car, it shouldn't have been driven hard".

I think all of your visions of what a "new car" means is not what the reality is.
A new car means it wasn't owned by anyone else, not "never been driven/ zero miles". That's very rare and I don't even know if it exists.

Do you guys know that these cars are put on a dyno and fully tested before they are released to us? These miles and the miles driven during transport are usually not recorded, but they are there and the cars ARE taken to redline. It's a huge liability to produce a car and not fully test it before giving it to the owner.

Now please don't confuse this with me supporting those idiots and their joy ride (notice I didn't say PDI) in a customers car. I'm just saying there is nothing to worry about as far as reliability goes.

So, to sum it up: the owner deserves an extended warranty and maintenance. The $10k over MSRP has nothing to do with the car being driven hard since it really doesn't have an impact on the car, it's just unprofessional and no one wants to see that type of crap with their new and rare car.
This makes perfect sense
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #121
jaaz
CArbon BlAck
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i SAV

The real crime here is lack of disclosure. The dealership knew or should have known that the car was improperly driven by its own employees and should have disclosed that fact before taking a 10k premium above MSRP. The dealer should have never sold this vehicle for a 10k premium as if the car had just come off the truck. It should have examined the vehicle, disclosed to the buyer what had occurred and then negotiated the price, with perhaps an extended warranty thrown in.

If the dealer was unaware of the actions of it's employees, it needs better controls over it's employees and it's fleet of cars. Employees are the responsibility of the employer-in this case the dealer-and as between an innocent consumer and the dealer, the dealer should bear the loss in this instance (which is really the mark-up above MSRP, which the dealer does not normally see anyways; the dealer is not loosing money here in any case).
      09-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #122
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icasio View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Just to clarify, after the initial call from the manager informing me of the news coverage I immediately stepped out of the dialogue and let my business manager do the talking with them. We asked for the $10k back. The first call resulted in them offering only $2k back. I declined that offer and went back with $10k or the next person you hear from is my lawyer. And that was Friday. So now my lawyer is stepping in and drafting a formal letter (he feels completely confident we can win the $10k plus legal fees--it's just the hassle of having to go through the process).

I had already purchased the extended warranty and maintenance warranty. Both of those came out to around $7,000. But yeah, it seems like a no brainer for them to have offered to refund that at the very least. Didn't happen.

I'll keep the updates coming as they transpire. And I'll also work on contacting BMWNA about all this.

Thanks again!
Damn, so after taxes, fees, the warranty, and the mark-up you spent an ungodly amount of money on this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #123
Brian W
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
Damn, so after taxes, fees, the warranty, and the mark-up you spent an ungodly amount of money on this car.
$10k markup + $7k warranty + cali taxes =
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #124
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I have to agree with this post. And also find this thread hilarious. Try and resolve a problem first with the dealer and then if not resolved to one's satisfaction go to BMW US (or whatever they are called). Why the North Americans love to sue people over the smallest thing is beyond me. That's why we have those stupid words on hot drinks saying that the drink is hot blah, blah, blah.

Question the OP needs to ask, is has the car been damaged in any way? If not, move on. No big deal.
"Why the North Americans love to sue people over the smallest thing is beyond me." - Yes Some Americans have sued on stupid lines of reasoning before and those examples are like a stereotype now in the name of America. However, the reality is that despite these few cases of exaggeration and needless involvement of the Law, Our democratic system is setup in a manner that allows all citizens to demand their fair share of a deal, relationship, business or anything of this nature. Our system functions on the usability and accountability of our court systems....and $10K isnt a joke....maybe in Europe but not in America. And although it might not have been damaging to the car or too bad for it, but the untruthful marketing on behalf of the dealer cannot be condoned and if they are able to get away with this they won't understand that its wrong and this leads to worse behavior
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #125
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
As a European, this thread makes me laugh. Damn, lawyers in the US must be so f*cking rich.

Also, when some guys do ED and take their car the next day to the Nurburgring and to Spa-Francorchamps for extended lapping, you're all like 'woohoow!'
But when some garage guy drives the car around the block the way M cars are built to handle, oh boy, bring on the suits.

I'm not saying you're wrong and the dealership is right.
But I'f someone would offer me 2k$ for a 10 minute joy ride in my car (without braking anything), I'd happily take the money.
No need for an army of lawyers.
well said.
      09-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #126
jaaz
CArbon BlAck
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i SAV

To those who think a lawyer is not necessary, let me ask you this: Do you really believe the big BMW dealership and the consumer have the same leverage in a dispute? Do you have any idea how much money dealerships spend on an "army of lawyers" to draft agreements, policies and procedures to protect and defend themselves from consumer complaints and claims? The consumer often needs to get a lawyer because put simply, the dealership (or any big corporation) often won't even start to pay attention until a lawyer representing the consumer gets involved.

Don't blame the small guy for getting a lawyer, he's just evening-up the playing field...
      09-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #127
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Bring on the rain, I would have a suit review your options. I am no lawyer but I live in SoCal and one thing I do know about CA lawyers is they find a way to collect for damages. A letter to the dealership and a letter to BMW NA will cost you $750 or less for a good lawyer.

Then hit up the news outlets and light these guys up. I wood record the phone calls as well. These guys will lie to save their a$$ any day of the week. (for those who will claim it's illegal, in CA as long as ONE of the parties are aware of the recording it need not be disclosed to the other party and 100% legal)

Last but not least. Others have mentioned that you have an amazing ride, a very limited 1M and it's yours! Enjoy the car, get your $10,000 back and a letter of apology and drive the 1M laughing all the way to the bank.

Good luck.
      09-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #128
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
To those who think a lawyer is not necessary, let me ask you this: Do you really believe the big BMW dealership and the consumer have the same leverage in a dispute? Do you have any idea how much money dealerships spend on an "army of lawyers" to draft agreements, policies and procedures to protect and defend themselves from consumer complaints and claims? The consumer often needs to get a lawyer because put simply, the dealership (or any big corporation) often won't even start to pay attention until a lawyer representing the consumer gets involved.

Don't blame the small guy for getting a lawyer, he's just evening-up the playing field...

You are biased, though well-meaning. Necessity is at the discretion of the client.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #129
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

When the dust settles and the rest of us go about our ways, wooing and hooing about the next bimmer, it's just you and your car. What's important then is it's mechanical soundness and your enjoyment of it.

Sure, get your money back, feel vindicated, less victimized etc etc. Just don't go driving your car now and later as if you have a lesser car. It ain't broken or damaged unless and until it is. Gotta enjoy every moment of it, right away!!

Congrats, nice 1m!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #130
BuddhaPilot
Swollen Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BSM Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion01 View Post
Reference my comment above. I discovered this through a simple fuel average check. Hammered. F**king dealers.
Caught one of those the first time I took it in when the DCT began having problems. The mileage was in the single digits when I got the car back. I was not happy about it and let the SA know it.

Sorry for the thread jack...carry on
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #131
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

Dang, it's never a good feeling knowing someone took your car for a joyride before you have (especially, when you're buying brand new). I'm sure we both know this, and I hope you get your mark-up back and more!
      09-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #132
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Lawyer told him to clam up - no more posts. What you say can and will be used AGAINST you...