BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-22-2023, 09:14 PM   #1
Marcinj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
How do I start this 'tracking' thing?

Hi yall,
I got lots of questions on how to start tracking my car. I'm at the point in my life where I can afford a second car and not have to worry if my 1er hits a wall; therefor I have decided to take this car out next season. This forum I have found is a great resource so I thought I'd as for your guys's opinion. I broke it down into a few topics. Keep in mind your talking to a 21 year old with 0 track experience and only minor Wisconsin canyon driving. ANYTHING HELPS!! please share!

How did you start?
What's the best for a kid like me to get into this sport... Should I start with autoX or go straight into tracking... Any good groups to join in the midwest that could help me build my confidence up... Staying to small tracks... ect.

SAFETY:
Starting with myself.
Best helmet? any other highly recommended gear? should I get gloves or shoes off the rip?

Car Safety.
I don't want to blow up my car. I've read oil starvation plagues N55s so should I knock out the Accusump setup over winter for peace of mind. Upgrade Brake pads/ Fluid? Trans Fluid? Oil? What are the musts and almost musts for a newbie?

Learnability.
My car is modded...
Stage 2+ DPs, 3Dm Track Day Suspension kit, Apex 17x9 on hankooks RS4 - so like oil starvation heaven? For learnability should I down tune my car and throw the stack street tires on? Or since it lowered get tow links for bump steer and such... or even raise it back to stock? I've read a lot about coding and making the car more drivable? should I do this? Must do mods and or if you recommend I work my way into mods based on how the car feels and as my skill progresses. I would like to build this out, a kid can dream.

Please share anything that you have learned along the way... I would rather learn from your mistakes than make my own. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 12:23 PM   #2
ZeroR
Track Addict
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

You will probably have to find a local track and club to start off. There you can talk to the club organizers and club members on suggestions for how to start in this sport. Whether you choose AutoX or lapping will be entirely up to you and which one you like better. It could possibly be both at the same time. Only you will know the answer to that. As for safety equipment, that will also depend on the club that you join and the events that you participate in. The best helmet, for example, will be the one that fits your head properly and that has a current safety rating. Your best bet would be to go to a local shop that has helmets that you could try on for fit. Making a purchase online with out trying it first, would be something I don't recommend.
I wouldn't worry about your car mods right now. The first time you get on track, will hopefully be with some kind of instruction, either by lead-follow or in-car instructor to help you learn the track and the track/club rules and etiquette. This means you are not going to be reaching high enough speeds to worry about things like oil starvation. That is as long as your oil level is normal and not just near the minimum amount. First timers, should be just worried about fresh brake fluid, new-ish brake pads, and no fluid leaks.
Have an open mind when learning and taking instructions. More importantly just go to have fun.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2023, 02:12 PM   #3
Goodmanfue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

I’m a few years older than you and have been tracking the car for a couple years and hoping to get into TT’s someday.

Get a quality Snell SA2020+ rated helmet. $200 is probably the min price range. But it’s your head at the end of the day. Shoes and gloves haven’t played an important role for me yet that I need them.

Seat time is the most important thing you can do for yourself. It’ll let you learn the limits of the car and you as a driver, which will be a very humbling experience.
If Wisconsin has an active BMWCCA, I’d suggest joining that. NASA/SCCA are also good clubs to get into. NASA, at least where I’m at, has a more structured HPDE (High Performance Driver’s Education) program that walks you through proper techniques so you don’t start with bad habits. The BMWCCA where I’m at hosts more AutoX versus HPDE’s, but I prefer the track HPDE’s over AutoX (to each their own). They do host a car control clinic at the beginning the the spring which is probably the best thing anyone can do. It’s low speed AutoX setups where you learn to drive the limit and past the limit of the car.

Mod wise: Once you have a lap day or two with an instructor, you’ll quickly learn the stock pads don’t quite hold up to temp for a 20 minute session as your get more comfortable with the car. Pads, brake fluid, and tires are probably the first things to keep in mind. Cooling will eventually be an issue later on as you progress. I highly recommend running the car stock. More power = more heat, and the stock power is plenty at the track for starting off.

My personal focus was handling over power, so my rough order of upgrades were:
- Getting better as a driver (smoother consistent inputs, more seat time, time with qualified instructors)
- Brakes/Fluid
- Tires (RS4s Are Great tires no need to downgrade, Just keep in mind the tires might be helping you out more than you think)
- Suspension
- Rear Subframe Bushings
- LSD/M3 Control Arms

I already had an upgraded intercooler and intake before I tracked so I didn’t have to add those in.
Coding out the electronic Nannie’s is also a nice thing to do, but there’s two schools of thoughts (I.e., starting with all the Nannie’s versus without them all). I personally had them all on and got rid of most of them except the eLSD after a few track days. Once I got the LSD and did a car control clinic with everything off, I now do the same at the track.
Eventually I will get a cage and seats once I get closer to competing.

My order of how I did it might now be your order, but I really want to emphasize the importance of seat time, especially with a quality instructor that has many years of track experience.

Edit: I have an N54 so I don’t have the oil issue the N55 can have. But as far as I know, oil starvation starts when you are pulling high G’s, which in my case won’t be for quite some time.
Appreciate 4
Marcinj114.00
AmuroRay2282.50
gds52886.00
      11-26-2023, 04:35 AM   #4
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Welcome to the HPDE world. You have already got good advice. I will add to it.

1. Keep power stock
2. You have good tires, keep these.
3. Definitely Get street/track performance brake pads.
Don’t worry about LSD or other mods.
4. Change brake fluid to high temp for track.
5. I instruct with bunch of clubs. My choice:
Bmw CCA (mine is NJ chapter)
HookedOnDriving
Chin Track Days
NASA is good as well.

6. Get a chair to relax, tent/shade and plenty of water/electrolytes
7. Get your car inspected from a good shop. Most organizations have Tech from which covers inspection points.

7. When driving on track, with instructor, be nice and share your feedback with your instructor, in case you are not understanding him/her or any miscommunication. Trust your instructor.
Diff instructors will have diff styles, so if you go to second event, you may learn something different.

8. Make new friends on the track, learn things and enjoy

Any questions, feel free to ask.
Appreciate 1
Marcinj114.00
      11-27-2023, 07:38 PM   #5
Marcinj
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I got a helmet and a daily. Thank you all for the advice!!
Appreciate 1
gds52886.00
      03-18-2024, 10:30 AM   #6
Marcinj
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Hey yall just wanna say thanks for the all advice. Had my first track event with my brother and had a blast at winter autocorss at Road America. Took my daily as my 1ers suspension was out for rebuild. I was also scared of all the power and RWD for my first time. Here are some photos too, more on my instagram if all are interested - @bloo.bmw
Attached Images

Appreciate 2